A Thought on the RM-40

Housteau

A Thought on the RM-40
« on: 20 Sep 2006, 11:28 pm »
I very nearly purchased a used set of RM-40s a few weeks ago.  They were offered at an excellent price, but I hesitated and so they went to someone else.  Although I don't presently own any VMPS speakers, I often find myself drawn to this forum for the interaction of the faithful.  There is always something exciting going on with development.  Dust doesn't settle too long on these models before a new tweak, or some better way of doing something surfaces.  The last thing I probably need is a new speaker system, but I always seem to find myself drawn back here to learn more about what is new.

Lately I have been working on getting my soundroom in order:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=31520.0

But, I have also been doing some thinking about the RM-40.  This is what I was thinking about.  If I went this way, I would want to add in two larger subwoofers to create a complete system.  I know folks do that quite regularly, with them and the RM-30s.  However, I was wondering if the RM-40s were ever built from the start with that in mind?  What I mean is, if a separate subwoofer was part of the system from the beginning of design, would the tower sections be built the same, or would changes be made to optimize them for the frequencies they would be running?  For example:  Would there still be a mid bass and low bass driver, or would two mid bass drivers be used instead? 

For the sake of discussion lets make the subwoofers self-powered and the bass sections of the RM-40 towers as well.  Would that effect the crossover points and selection of bass drivers?

Dave

warnerwh

Re: A Thought on the RM-40
« Reply #1 on: 21 Sep 2006, 12:45 am »
For all intents and purposes the RM 40's are full range. However if you like that first octave bass power a sub is a good idea. I use a single New Original sub crossed at 45hz with the RM 40's running full range. I've got a built in amp that's turned up just to about 9:00, so the sub is just on a bit. When something with very low and powerful bass comes through it startles me.

I'm not sure I'd recommend two Larger subs if you're only going to listen to music. One is plenty I can assure you. Your room is a bit larger than mine and one New Original only has one 12" megawoofer and it's capable of much more than necessary. Btw I love high quality powerful and accurate bass. If I thought a Larger would help I'd buy one. Like I said earlier, it startles me regularly. Many wows from audiophiles about the quality of my bass.

Smart move having a dedicated room built. I've done the same along with pretty thorough treatment. The sound is amazingly good and I know that a large part of the credit is the room. With the amazing transparency of the 40's combined in a good acoustical environment I can't imagine what any body could feel they still needed. There's a sticky of Vmps owners and dealers that will let you come hear their systems. Most of us like having people over. I'm a Vmps dealer and welcome any audiophile whether they're wanting to hear Vmps speakers to buy or not.

I've been in this hobby for over thirty years and I can guarantee you that these RM 40's are very amazing for the money. I've not gone out to dealers in a few years now to listen to speakers but have heard some speakers that cost more and are more common, mainly due to the mags, but none can compete with what Brian has come up with. This is my third set of his speakers and it's not just me that have thought every pair was a great deal. Audiophile friends thought the same way.

This is kind of related: I've noticed that moving room treatments can have a good or bad effect on the sound in my room. I've got three different sizes of bass traps and moved them to see if anything would happen. It did and I've gone both better and worse. Just saying if you want to try a moving panels around here or there it may be a worthy endeavor.

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
« Reply #2 on: 21 Sep 2006, 01:08 am »
The Original and Large subs are built to complement our larger speakers.  If you go that route start with a single Larger Sub (powered) and if you feel the need for more low bass, add another.  AT CES we use two subs, playing at a low level.  In my soundroom I use one, at a substantial but still fairly low level.  The LF cutoff on the RM40 is 24Hz (-3dB).

Bear in mind that modern RM40's have features lacking in older versions.  Most importantly, the new ones have the CDWG and passive CD EQ crossovers, for 180 degrees dispersion full range with near perfect linearity.  The new OXO outboard crossovers also advance sound quality considerably, and it is a real hassle to upgrade older 40's to this mod.

Two CDWG OXO 40's with a Sub positively move furniture, and not just in my soundroom!

John Casler

« Reply #3 on: 21 Sep 2006, 02:08 am »
I very nearly purchased a used set of RM-40s a few weeks ago.  They were offered at an excellent price, but I hesitated and so they went to someone else.  Although I don't presently own any VMPS speakers, I often find myself drawn to this forum for the interaction of the faithful.  There is always something exciting going on with development.  Dust doesn't settle too long on these models before a new tweak, or some better way of doing something surfaces.  The last thing I probably need is a new speaker system, but I always seem to find myself drawn back here to learn more about what is new.

Hi Dave,

I thought I got you a pair of RM40s years ago.

You're certainly correct that Brian doesn't let any grass grow between his toes.  There are always developmental things coming around.

Lately I have been working on getting my soundroom in order:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=31520.0

I have certainly seen your room before, and remember the sculpture you have on the front wall.  Very striking!  :o

But, I have also been doing some thinking about the RM-40.  This is what I was thinking about.  If I went this way, I would want to add in two larger subwoofers to create a complete system.  I know folks do that quite regularly, with them and the RM-30s.  However, I was wondering if the RM-40s were ever built from the start with that in mind?  What I mean is, if a separate subwoofer was part of the system from the beginning of design, would the tower sections be built the same, or would changes be made to optimize them for the frequencies they would be running?  For example:  Would there still be a mid bass and low bass driver, or would two mid bass drivers be used instead? 

The RM40 is certainly a "full range" speaker, but for some, there is an extra layer of sound from 24Hz down that adds that certain something.  All Brian's speakers are designed to work with his subs in a complementary way.

When the VMPS subs are used properly with any of the systems, they need only be "blended".  This blending is sometimes different than many think.  The RM40 has a roll off in the mid 20Hz region (-3db) depending on your room.

The best sub to use with the RM40 in a large room is the LARGER. 

To achieve the best "blending" you need two primary elements:

1) the LARGERs need to have their "acoustic centers" in alignment with the acoustic centers of the RM40s based on your seated listening position.

This will maintain "proper phase".

2) The Larger need be "rolled in" to produce the least "overlap" of frequencies, while still covering them to produce no dips in frequency.  That is, if the RM40s are run full range, the LARGER should be rolled in around 28-30Hz.  Most people run this "roll in" too high, so that you have too many drivers producing the same frequencies and "MUD and FOG" will be the result.

Now comes the question of How Many Subs?

Well many know that I have "FOUR" LARGERS, and that is NOT, because they are low in output.  It is because I want the cleanest and most pure bass that can be produced.

It is because of this that I use two "pushing" subs, in frontal flank, and direct alignment with my main speakers, and two pulling subs, directly behind me, that fire away from my listening position. causing the air at the listening position to have greater energy and accurate, clean movement.

But your needs will depend on your room, and interest in DEEP BASS.

I see that you like the BASS tower RS1B, which too is high output.  I assume you have them flanking your mains, and as you already know, this type of arrangement, adds a spatial presence and quality that you do not want to give up.

Two LARGERs will certainly give that too you.

If you are so inclined, I certainly can also suggest the more "crazy" application of a third, or as I use, a fourth, by adding them in behind you.  The affect is "stunning" and enveloping, and for practical purposes rather inexpensive.

When you consider a LARGER sub (base price $699) fully loaded is around $1.4k, which includes SR-71 and the 1000w amp.  Plus I'm sure the dealer you choose will perfrom some "courtesy pricing magic" to make 2 mains and at least 2 subs quite attractive. :wink:

For the sake of discussion lets make the subwoofers self-powered and the bass sections of the RM-40 towers as well.  Would that effect the crossover points and selection of bass drivers?

Dave

When Brian adds the PBS to the RM40 (I'm just now placing an order for that very combo in MLS Light Maple RM40's today) he "adjusts" the amp to accommodate the frequency and power needs of the RM40 Woofer system.

This 1000w amp then powers the the two active woofers and the PR "only"!!!!!

Bass does not come much cleaner and with more authority than this.

Add a LARGER, or FOUR, and you have a speaker system that will equal or match "any" thing on the market today, in overall performance and musical enjoyment.  Not to mention incredible physical presence.

And one other thought.  Since you do notice that Brian "keeps swimming", ordering with the OXO is helpful in future=proofing your speakers for any new electronic developments, down the road.

B, has promised to look into adding his magic to some of the "digital" machines on the market.  This will be down the road, but by going OXO, you are ready for that "bridge" should you wish to cross it.

This would offer you even more "flexibility" to adjusting that "exact" blend of the RM40 woofer system and the LARGERs.

You have to love the fact that you will have a system that will allow you to have SOTA now, and grow as high as you want to grow in the future :thumb:

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #4 on: 21 Sep 2006, 02:24 am »
My ever evolving RM40 + 2 Larger set up.

I enjoy it everyday.  :wink:

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
    • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #5 on: 21 Sep 2006, 02:36 am »
Dave
3 things are paramount for any new VMPS owner:
Get the CDW
Get the CDW
Get the CDW

I'd personally prefer any new 30 w/ CDW vs. any VMPS sans CDW.

New 30s come w/ CDW & 40 oz 6.5s.  My second favorite feature is probably the OXO, then Auricaps, then TRT, then BH5 somewhere in there.

Bass-wise my favorite is to high-pass cross the 30s up just above the room's mode near 70 Hz or so, then low-pass the sub just below the same mode to minimize or dissapear the mode.  I know one manufacturer who will shortly be employing such technology w/ a commercial speaker system.  I first recommended it a few years ago. 

The 30's dynamic envelope, punch, slam, & bass control in this fashion (w/ a big bad SS amp) must be experienced.  It's insanely easy to make up a simple capacitor bank for a high-pass 6 dB filter for the bass amp input (just use speaker caps).  You can adjust the xo pole by adding or subtracting small value caps.  It's pretty easy to get in the ballpark, then just adjust by ear. 

Enjoy!

Brian Cheney

« Reply #6 on: 21 Sep 2006, 02:56 am »
Constant Directivity Waveguides for the RM 40 arrive from mls next week and will be standard on new systems and about $400pr on older ones.  RM 30 is now also standard with the CDW and they can be added to older models for about $300pr.

The age of Constant Directivity is here!

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #7 on: 21 Sep 2006, 03:09 am »
Brian,

I will call you to make arrangement to replace my grill cloth version with a veneered version.  Is piano black the only choice or do you have ebony as well?  I want the dehorning kit as well since I just have them wedged for right now.  What EQ passive crossover do I need since I am actively biamping?

Brian Cheney

« Reply #8 on: 21 Sep 2006, 03:59 am »
All the RM40 waveguides are piano black.  If you want to do the passive CDEQ upgrade I suggest doing it with the outboard crossover option, which does remarkable good things to the sound.

Housteau

« Reply #9 on: 21 Sep 2006, 04:13 am »
This thread is a good example of why I like lurking around this forum so much.  I can always count on reading helpful knowledgeable advice being shared from those that have been there and done that, as well as from the owner / designer himself.  Thank you Brian.  I have a friend that just fairly recently finished restoring a Beveridge 2 sw-1 system.  It is quite something to experience and through listening to it I believe I have a good idea of the benefits of the Constant Directivity Waveguides.

John, when you mentioned having the acoustic centers in alignment for proper phase, I am assuming you mean in a physical way.  I can see that arrangement in the photo posted by woodsyi.  Because of that I also assume that the sub amps do not allow for a phase delay, or adjustment?

It makes sense that the subs need proper blending into the mains.  I guess my initial thought was that if the sub was blending in at a frequency just above that of the lower bass driver in the 40, then that driver may be of better use working the mid bass along with the other mid bass driver.  I thought that might optimize the 40 even more doubling the area of mid bass drivers.  I say that, but don't know what frequency those two drivers separate at :).  In essence it would be a 4 piece system then.  No doubt Brian has toyed will all sorts of combinations over the years.

All in all thanks for the insights everyone.  I do think there will be VMPS in my future.  I did have one of the original subs years ago that I used with my Acoustat 1+1s.  In my travels I will keep in mind the audition list.  I would very much like to experience one of these systems properly set up.  

Dave

warnerwh

« Reply #10 on: 21 Sep 2006, 05:26 am »
Proper blending is a piece of cake. I'd never done it. Followed Brian's directions of using 45hz with my sub as the crossover and it's perfect. You never ever hear the sub. I did try varying from 35hz to 55hz. The problem in these situation had been obvious and 45hz is perfect. In other words, listen to Brian's rec. It's possible your

You've been around a while if you owned Acoustats. Look at what you get for the price of RM 40's in hardware compared to other manufacturers. B&W, Thiel, Vandersteen are all huge names in our little hobby. They all make speakers that sound good. Dollar for dollar they can't compete with Vmps for sound quality. Please don't anybody think I'm putting down these lines because I am :lol: They flat out can't compete dollar for dollar, at least imo. This is the opinion of other audiophiles I know too. One guy who got me into the hobby and had never heard of Vmps. He owns RM 30's and a 215 sub and claims they sound as good or better than the Wilson Puppy's that Nuts about Hi Fi had several years ago setup in a room designed by Jim Thiel.

I sound like a damned salesperson but all I'm trying to do is tell you the truth. My enthusiasm is because I like helping others. Many people have thanked me for turning them onto Vmps speakers. One guy even whined about paying a grand for a center channel. Two weeks after he received it he called to thank me and said "this must be the best center channel in the world!". I knew he could afford it and had been looking at center speakers in Seattle for several hundred. His mains are Vmps as are his surrounds. He had a Paradigm center and was content as ht wasn't that important to him. Now I understand visitors can't get out of the house til they've heard a demo of his system. This is a guy who could afford pretty much whatever he wanted and there's alot of good hi fi shops in the Seattle and surrounding area.

He is also a future RM 40 owner. He's using my old Vmps Supertower/R SE's as his mains with the old Dynaribbon mids. After this stuff gets sorted out I'm going to call him and tell him to buy the latest RM 40's like I did the center channel. Now he's just going to send me the money I bet and say THANKS! :D