Pricey but interesting...

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Pricey but interesting...
« on: 20 Sep 2006, 10:48 pm »
Looks like Infrant Technologies wants to do more than just provide storage:

http://www.infrant.com/products/products_details.php?name=Repertoire

George

jermmd

Re: Pricey but interesting...
« Reply #1 on: 20 Sep 2006, 11:47 pm »
Where is the price posted? How much is it? ReadyNAS is supposed to be pretty good but I went with the UNRAID server solution and it's perfect for me. The nice thing about this Repertoire is that it can be put right into the rack with your HTPC. If it can stay cool without a fan, the small chassis (with 4 hard drives) is very nice.

DSK

« Reply #2 on: 21 Sep 2006, 12:11 am »
I'm trying to understand why you would want to use this in a SqueezeBox audio system... It appears not to have a CD/DVD drive, so I gather you would have to rip your music onto a PC, then shunt it across the network onto this server, or perhaps via an external USB HDD. If the music is already ripped onto a PC on the network, why add another box?

budbrew

« Reply #3 on: 21 Sep 2006, 12:38 am »
It looks like it's just a more consumer-friendly box than their standard servers. And no fan. Probably aimed at the custom install market.

jermmd

« Reply #4 on: 21 Sep 2006, 12:54 am »
I'm trying to understand why you would want to use this in a SqueezeBox audio system... It appears not to have a CD/DVD drive, so I gather you would have to rip your music onto a PC, then shunt it across the network onto this server, or perhaps via an external USB HDD. If the music is already ripped onto a PC on the network, why add another box?
It's just a server. you store media on it (music, video, photos) and stream it to your HTPC or squeezebox. The media is all ripped or downloaded on another computer originally and simply stored here for playback. It's got built in back-up (RAID) and terabytes of space. That's all it's for.

DSK

« Reply #5 on: 21 Sep 2006, 01:12 am »
It's just a server. you store media on it (music, video, photos) and stream it to your HTPC or squeezebox. The media is all ripped or downloaded on another computer originally and simply stored here for playback. It's got built in back-up (RAID) and terabytes of space. That's all it's for.

Hi Joe,
Yep, that's what I mean...  given that you have to load/rip the software on a PC anyway, and that the PC (fan noise) doesn't have to be in the listening/viewing room (as SqueezeBox can be connected wirelessly or via up to 100m ethernet cable), why not just add a larger HDD (internal or external) to the PC and add an external USB HDD for backups (that can be stored off-site)? I'm sure it would be a less expensive option and gives you off-site storage to boot, as well as the option to use the backup USB HDD to backup other data.

AudioFanKJ

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 21 Sep 2006, 01:24 am »
found the following info on the web:

"The Repertoire supports Windows, Mac OS, UNIX, and Linux platforms, and is available in 2TB and 3TB versions which retail for $3,999 and $4,999 respectively."

JEaton

« Reply #7 on: 22 Sep 2006, 07:03 pm »
Looks like Infrant Technologies wants to do more than just provide storage

This is just one of their NASs in a chassis designed to go into the A/V rack.  If it's as underpowered as their other NASs (it appears to use the same processor, so I'm sure it is) then I wouldn't waste my money.

Why anyone would want to place a networked file server in their rack is beyond me...