Promitheus TVC passive preamp anyone?

Oscillate

Re: Promitheus TVC passive preamp anyone?
« Reply #1640 on: 8 May 2007, 07:54 pm »
"That way we can get a basic handle on pondering a whole Prometheus package"

I took the plunge in April and ordered a Promitheus system :)

Opus Magna Balanced Power Supply
Power Energizer
Reference Dual Box TVC
Tube Active Preamp
Hybrid Amplifier

...I currently have the Paradisea+ DAC (which has made a complete difference
in the way this 'ol computer sounds). But am seriously considering ordering a
Promitheus Tube NOS DAC later this summer. Perhaps a Class A tube amp also?

My gut tells me there is something musically good happening here and I feel
comfortable, without reservation, being part of it. I have ordered but not yet
received these components. I suspect delivery to be late May or perhaps early
June(?) Should finally bring some good sound into my residence! I certainly do
intend to write a review.

BTW, did anyone else note the DIY open-baffle line array speakers in Nicholas's
reference system (pictured in the May 2007 Affordable Audio article)?
Those speakers intrigue me!

(...Nicholas, I still owe you an E-mail response)

* edited to clarify that I don't have the components in house yet.
« Last Edit: 9 May 2007, 12:59 am by Oscillate »

gooberdude

« Reply #1641 on: 8 May 2007, 08:13 pm »
Nick's OB array's are quite wild.    He has stated that he wants 2 more, a total of 4 of those monsters!!!  Nick must live in a Church...

What are your thoughts on the Hybrid amp?   I haven't anyone mention using his amps to date...

PromitheusAudio

• Promitheusaudio
« Reply #1642 on: 9 May 2007, 03:53 am »
Hey 1000a,

Nick quoted me a price of around $1300 for the 2A3/45 amp recently...  Since each amp is a custom job though, the price may vary.  Sounds like he will be offering several more amps in the future too.

Please start a separate Post (and post pictures!) about the Room Lenses, i am really interested to know your experience...    Jon Risch also has a great resipe for these that another member e-mailed to me.  Just Google search  'Jon Risch Room Lense'  its of the geocities series he's posted...

I haven't even made an attempt to run to HD & get the supplies, still in awe of what my acoustic treatments do - which is SO much easier to discern now that they are gone!   

Often i find myself just sitting & listening to music.  the last 3 days its been fun to sit & ponder just how good the music could be.    Sometimes knowing what you want is better than having what you want!!  Its almost as perverse as taking a drink out of something after your friend goes "Oh man this is awful, try this..."  and you do!

i can probably only take 2 more nights of a bare room.  this hobby isn't much  fun w/o acoustic treatments.

gd

The price is Goober mention is about right but its for a pushpull 45 or 2a3. SO power is about 10watts for 45 and 15watts for 2a3. The 45 however are on limited quantity thought as i am using NOS for this.

This are run with interstage transformer to split the phase of + and -. This is the way to split phase as there is no drift in amplitude over time or not. This topology of single ended spliting to pushpull has a very single ended sounded but with the push pull advantage

We do too single ended too for a cheaper price too. Again with interstage coupling

PromitheusAudio

• Promitheusaudio
« Reply #1643 on: 9 May 2007, 03:54 am »
Nick's OB array's are quite wild.    He has stated that he wants 2 more, a total of 4 of those monsters!!!  Nick must live in a Church...

What are your thoughts on the Hybrid amp?   I haven't anyone mention using his amps to date...

I down to 1 more , just score another. Now also collecting the tweeters too.

PromitheusAudio

• Promitheusaudio
« Reply #1644 on: 9 May 2007, 03:57 am »
Nick

Could you post here just the basic pricing on the current power amps, (maybe tube DAC) subject to price changes, and options of course?  It would be far quicker than you getting them onto the website for now.  That way we can get a basic handle on pondering a whole Prometheus package.  It could have the stipulation, price must be confirmed with Nick prior to ordering.  but at least we can start planing our (MY) system budget.

Oh my God, the active is never gonna leave GA :rotflmao:.  I don't mean anybody is gonna keep it - I just mean there are a lot of you guys in 1 state!  Nick I am not complaining here, I think its fantastic your sending one over for an audition!  No problem, I trust Rollo's take on the thing.

Which brings to mind a question again for Rollo, could you post Nick's pricing (if he does not) on all the basic amps.  Of course with caveat that these numbers are my loose approximations and not to be considered fact.

Thanks,

PS, Gooberdude I completed the Room Lens, maybe we could start a seperate post on the DIY project, to save people some of the problems I ran into and also compare listening notes.

The hybrid is USD900(did some upgrades to it which brought the cost up abit) But the other amps are custom built.

Perhaps i should start a fan club in GA, did not realise there are some many of you guys in GA. The active preamp will take a while to come out from GA.

gooberdude

« Reply #1645 on: 9 May 2007, 03:59 am »
Hey Nick, how many drivers will there be in all the baffles are completed???   

PromitheusAudio

• Promitheusaudio
« Reply #1646 on: 9 May 2007, 04:17 am »
If i can i would like 8 pairs of 12" RCA alnico
and 24 pairs of 4.5" Saba tweeters

I emphasize can because i am not sure whether the celling can hold

PromitheusAudio

• Promitheusaudio
« Reply #1647 on: 9 May 2007, 04:25 am »
One of the reasons Rollo is coming over, is to check out this new amp am i working on the gm70 amp. This is going to be for me

And the power supply for the monoblock

Thank god it only weight 50-60kgs(110-130lbs) per monoblock or else will be lugging this beast back to the US. Actually it takes 2 grown man to just flip the amp over for inspection of the inside.
This is a monoblock luckily as if its stereo would would weigh 100kgs + (230lbs)

IT uses C-cores for interstage and output transformers
« Last Edit: 9 May 2007, 05:49 am by PromitheusAudio »

1000a

« Reply #1648 on: 9 May 2007, 04:48 am »
Nick Is that the push-pull 70 per channel??  :bowdown: Nick how much (and model #s) are the big push pulls, 70+ watts and up?  :rotflmao:

OK guys lets do a giant group buy, 1 shipping container for the east coast, 1 for the west coast - meet in central locations pick up the gear and drive home and try not to crash our cars cause our smiles are so big our eyes are slammed shut.  Yes there is a Santa I was wrong!!  :xmas:

1000a

« Reply #1649 on: 9 May 2007, 04:51 am »
Nick is there a push-pull high watt 70++ of that amp, Rollos comong to see and how much?

1000a

« Reply #1650 on: 9 May 2007, 10:44 am »
Gooberdude

I will place a thread and photos of the room lens later this week or weekend.
I had seen that Jon Risch piece before - I studied it well to build mine, thanks for the heads up.

Where is Nick- working

PromitheusAudio

• Promitheusaudio
« Reply #1651 on: 9 May 2007, 03:39 pm »
Nick Is that the push-pull 70 per channel??  :bowdown: Nick how much (and model #s) are the big push pulls, 70+ watts and up?  :rotflmao:

OK guys lets do a giant group buy, 1 shipping container for the east coast, 1 for the west coast - meet in central locations pick up the gear and drive home and try not to crash our cars cause our smiles are so big our eyes are slammed shut.  Yes there is a Santa I was wrong!!  :xmas:

nope that the GM70 Single ended amp Rollo is talking about. Not sure how much. I just build the best i could first as these were to be my personal set. Would work out the cost once the amp is fired and am happy listening to the music.

If i was to use this tube for pushpull 2 tubes would do 200 watts.

The amp is huge so bring friends to carry only when doing the group buy :)

PromitheusAudio

• Promitheusaudio
« Reply #1652 on: 9 May 2007, 03:42 pm »
Gooberdude

I will place a thread and photos of the room lens later this week or weekend.
I had seen that Jon Risch piece before - I studied it well to build mine, thanks for the heads up.

Where is Nick- working

Yup, working. I work all long hours from 8 to 2 am or 3 am. All work and no play yet

gooberdude

« Reply #1653 on: 9 May 2007, 08:30 pm »
If i can i would like 8 pairs of 12" RCA alnico
and 24 pairs of 4.5" Saba tweeters

I emphasize can because i am not sure whether the celling can hold

I haven't added up the total surface area of having 16 - 12" drivers + 48 - 4.5" but my word....you'll be moving a LOT of air.

Nick, do you use the DIY Room Lenses in your room??    And what amps are you running currently??

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #1654 on: 9 May 2007, 08:40 pm »
Nicholas,
              When I visit you, hopefully you will have some time to play some golf. Man those are long hours. You need some help man.
              Now that the Georgia Mafia is receiving preamp maybe you can make an offer they can't refuse. You know what I mean. Eh! Georgia could be the leader in Promitheus gear. Peaches, peanuts,  blond Southern Bells and Promitheus what could be better. Not much IMO.
              Hey guys this will pump you up a bit. Yesterday I brought the TVC and Preamp for a demo to a Famous speaker importer and to an also famous US component rack manf. Needless to say I was a bit nervous putting the TVC against a $25000 and $15000 reference preamps. I am not mentioning names to protect the innocent. Anyway the TVC rocked and embarrassed the $25000 pre and bettered the famous 4 box preamp by a nose A big nose.
              You had to see the look on the mans face when the TVC just killed his $25000 baby. It was priceless. Both Manfs ordered dual mono ref.[ 2 box].  When I told them the price he threw a CD at me. I mean he could not believe me, he actually thought I was breaking his chops. When I said I was dead serious he just shook his head in amazement.
              They both agreed that with the TVC in their systems is leaps and bounds better than before. The preamp  performed well but was a tad dull since I put in some Mundorf bypass caps for the power supply caps. They are coming out and the original Aerovox caps are going back in until the V-caps arrive. They should do the trick for the power supply and two more to replace Phillips bypass caps at tube sockets. The caps cost about $I20 for four, that is why they are not used in the base model. If these caps were used throughout the price would be at least double.  The base preamp is fine as it comes but you know, this is a hobby and it is fun trying different caps and things. Besides the preamp is built to a price point.  The circuit is so simple and easy to mod even for me with ten thumbs.  The basic model IMO is a tweakers delight. Not much to change and easy to work on. The trannies are what makes the Promitheus gear sound so good. It is the heart, so to speak. Now that Nicholas has some "C" cores in house, fasten your seatbelt boys and girls, because the good ship Promitheus has just been turbocharged.
           Any of you guys going to be in NY for the Home Entertainment Show? See you there.

rollo

Whitese

« Reply #1655 on: 9 May 2007, 08:43 pm »
as soon as someone buys my bloody technics Sp-10 TT I am ordering a Ref pre and active..

gooberdude

« Reply #1656 on: 9 May 2007, 08:46 pm »
Wow....what kind of maniac pays $25K for a preamp???   :lol: :lol: :lol:

tanchiro58

« Reply #1657 on: 9 May 2007, 09:06 pm »
Wow....what kind of maniac pays $25K for a preamp???   :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rollo,

I think that is the First Sound Statement with three power supply boxes, is that right? I listened to it couple times but never found amazed to it. It is just showing the "Beauty."

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #1658 on: 9 May 2007, 09:30 pm »
Matt,
             Not me that is for sure. The amp they sell costs $66000 a pair.

tanchiro58
                   No it was not that piece. This unit is dual mono with separate power supplies and tubed to boot. I will not mention name of component as not to embarass the importer. This crowd spends way too much money on audio, however the speaker cable used is a inside secret. They use Radio shack speaker cable. Yes that's right. Take 6 equal lengths of wire and with 2 wires together [ 3 runs ] braid as you would a woman's hair braid. Then connect 2 runs [4 wires] to spade and the other run [ 2 wires ] to banana plug for each speaker. This stuff bettered Kimber top of the line silver, Anticable, Synergistic Research and Goertz top of the line copper and silver.
cabless. It was not my system but we know what we heard. I am buying a spool ASAP. It ain't a secret any more. If you can braid or someone you know can by all means please check this out.

rollo

gooberdude

« Reply #1659 on: 9 May 2007, 09:35 pm »
Hey Rollo,

$66K for an amp is perfectly normal, its the uber expensive preamp that bugs me   aa

is this the Rat Shack wire their solid core enameled copper wires?  similar to anti-cable but in much smaller gauges?

If so, its like 4000' for $5!!!!     I think they have all gauges from 28 down to 16...

I'm game, do tell more....

GD