I write Stereophile. Any comments?

rustneversleeps

Re: I write Stereophile. Any comments?
« Reply #20 on: 17 Sep 2006, 04:49 pm »
I have no idea what was the interaction between AVA and Stereophile in the past, Stereophile may not like AVA because it isn't expensive enough.

Or it was just an honest mistake. When JA was listening to and making measurement on the speakers, he was focusing on the speakers, not the rest of system, not the amp, preamp, CD player, or turntable.

If he was reviewing an Hafler amp modified by AVA, he'd better not just say it's an Hafler 500 with better sound.

Or it was just JA's writing style, when he saw the amps were label Hafler, in his mind they must had been Hafler, and didn't think much of it, not a big deal. It's a speaker review, not amp review.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #21 on: 17 Sep 2006, 10:02 pm »
I just wrote the following letter to John Atkinson, editor of Stereophile:

It might also be consider [should be considered- Rob]misleading to think that stock old Hafler amplifiers could have generated the dynamic range and overall sound field you experienced.  Your readers buying old original Hafler amplifiers and expecting that same kind of performance will be disappointed in you.

I would appreciate a correction.

Sincerely,

Frank Van Alstine
President
Audio by Van Alstine, Inc.

That one grammatical error is the only thing I'd change.  It will detract from the professionalism you want to portray if you don't correct that.

Dear AC readers, what do you think?

Frank

robinje

« Reply #22 on: 18 Sep 2006, 01:15 pm »
Frank, I like your letter.  I think it is entirely appropriate.  Send it in!

J

weirdo

« Reply #23 on: 18 Sep 2006, 02:36 pm »

the letter is fine. I think there is a certain amount of bad slant towards budget gear in general. This particular publication lost its cred a long time ago when it reported on the virtues of 1,000 dollar cables and other associated junk accessories of questionable value. Thank god for the internet. Lots of truth gets out amidst the crap. Why would Stereophile review a perfectly good performing 50.00 speaker cable? Or a 1400.00 tube pre amp that performs like the units costing 10 times more.  What's in it for them?  Getting them to mention your amps as a proper equipment reference is important but more important is getting them to change their atitude which might not be done in this lifetime. Stereophile is a shill for thrill publication.

audiojerry

« Reply #24 on: 18 Sep 2006, 03:32 pm »
Haven't been able to read the entire thread, but I like the letter, although it has a few typo and spelling errors.

rustneversleeps

« Reply #25 on: 18 Sep 2006, 03:47 pm »
What puzzles me is if all of you hate Stereophile so much, what do you keep reading it? Or maybe you are monitoring Stereophile for how they misinform the general public about audio?

Zheeeem

« Reply #26 on: 18 Sep 2006, 03:53 pm »
What puzzles me is if all of you hate Stereophile so much, what do you keep reading it? Or maybe you are monitoring Stereophile for how they misinform the general public about audio?

1.  I don't hate Stereophile.

2.  I don't read Stereophile.

3.  What's your problem?

weirdo

« Reply #27 on: 18 Sep 2006, 04:57 pm »

I don't hate Stereophile. Shill might have been a tad strong. One must recognize the editorial limits of magazines whose source of revenue is advertising high-end stereo equipment. As far as the  overall value of components, they remain firmly in the huge grey zone of American press. I have learned much more objective and useful information from the users on Audio Circle and Auidio Review than the mags. 

BradJudy

« Reply #28 on: 18 Sep 2006, 08:55 pm »
I like Frank's letter.  It would be WAY more effective if Carl wrote it (or mentioned it in his Manufacturer's Response comments in reaction to the review of his speakers).

This is an excellent point.

nathanm

« Reply #29 on: 18 Sep 2006, 09:02 pm »
Wait, which situation is correct here?

1. Letter has been sent, just asking for comments after the fact
2. Letter has NOT been sent, asking for comments before sending

jules

« Reply #30 on: 18 Sep 2006, 10:54 pm »
Frank,

Is it an isolated incident that one of your amps has found itself housed in a case with another manufacturer's name on the outside?

If not, could I suggest that it would be in your interest to re-badge [with something appropriately grand] any case/chasis that essentially contains your own work.

I think it's entirely appropriate that you've written to Stereophile but I wouldn't be holding my breath while waiting for a gracious response.

Jules

Listens2tubes

« Reply #31 on: 18 Sep 2006, 11:38 pm »
I'm going to watch for Frank's letter to show up in Manufacture's Comments. Frank's letter is well stated and eloquent. :duel: He should be allowed his due.

As for the rest of us, Let's start a blog. http://forum.stereophile.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?Cat=

Berndt

« Reply #32 on: 19 Sep 2006, 01:12 am »
Wait, which situation is correct here?

1. Letter has been sent, just asking for comments after the fact
2. Letter has NOT been sent, asking for comments before sending

ditto this for continuity

avahifi

« Reply #33 on: 19 Sep 2006, 11:26 am »
The letter was e-mailed to JA before I asked for comments herein.  I just wanted to give you a heads up here about it.

Frank

CE2

« Reply #34 on: 21 Sep 2006, 11:57 am »
 :D Hey  Frank, that is good and right to the point.  It is correct, it would be misleading to think you can get the incredible slam, dynamics ,sound out of the 30 year old original Hafler ckts that the OmegaStar EX get, original ckts are lifeless dead, dry and constricted compared to the Omegastar EX ckts. But that original AC line transformer can supply some juice!!! And that heatsink (with newest installed 12  MOSFETS) can keep it all going) StereoPhile always has corrections printed  after an article ran with some errors and ommisions..  They really should respond, with a corrected mention and by printing your message in the mfgs page, like I see all the time. Yes, I did mention many times, it's VanAlstine stuff driving it all.  There are the pictures in the StereoPhile.com  forum under home systems, that Jeff took.  Gotta get some BIG AVA logos on the front of all this stuff especially the amps faces...like MARSHALL has for their instrument amps/cabinets..Even how HAFLER did it on the face, big bold lettering. I'm sure JA, will respond and print teh correction, you do really deserve the mention and exposure, your stuff is SUPERB.  Besides sonic perfection, super reliabil, never had a failure ever in all the years and differetn units I've used...they keep on going and going and going, sounding superb all the time.  You are correct, when I decided to go AVA, it's the best deal in audio.  Sonically superior, super reliable, and terrific support from the mfg. AND it's designed, engineered and assembled HERE.......Oh, and the latest Ultra Hybrid EC DAC is fantastic, just hooked it up last week.   

CE2

« Reply #35 on: 22 Sep 2006, 09:21 am »
I also sent an e-mail to John A. about the incorrect info on the amps, pre amps etc. 

Listens2tubes

« Reply #36 on: 22 Sep 2006, 11:56 am »
Earlier this month JA responded to a thread regarding reviewing AVA equiptment.
http://forum.stereophile.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=138&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1

eric the red

« Reply #37 on: 22 Sep 2006, 12:02 pm »
http://forum.stereophile.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=138&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1

I love how reviewers like JA come in and act like the voice of God on internet audio boards then ignore follow up pleas from the masses. "We're not worthy! We're not worthy!"

nathanm

Re: I wrote Stereophile. Any comments?
« Reply #38 on: 22 Sep 2006, 03:02 pm »
I don't think I've ever seen so many "tehs" in one paragraph!  Whew!  Even a "tehm" too.  Exotic!
Frank and his busienss has outlasted most of tehm over priced hypers

I don't understand the "looks like crap" angle, though.  PLAIN yes, but like crap?  Come on!  What's crappy about a metal box?  It's a black rectangle, how can a rectangle be crap by itself?  If the cases were rusted and dented that would look crappy.  The Ampzilla faceplate - now THAT'S crappy looking. :P

And while I'm on a spelling rant, this thread should be called "I WROTE Stereophile..."

audiojerry

« Reply #39 on: 22 Sep 2006, 05:10 pm »
Hey Nathan, I thought you'd like to know that Diana Krall has released a new album:
http://www.vervemusicgroup.com/product.aspx?ob=disc&src=art&pid=11621

Enjoy!