Ok, so I just got a simple, old, cheap vinyl rig set-up.

PaulHilgeman

So,

Two weeks ago, my father gave me his old turntable.  I have very little turntable experience.  He didnt have a preamp to go with it, so I ordered a Pro-Ject PhonoBox2.  Somthing just to get me started.

The TT is a Dual 1219 from 1971 I think.  I cant remember what cartridge it had, but it wasnt stock.

I went through a bunch of the adjustments by reading some websites and talking to my father about it, I think I have a pretty good handle on things for now. 

I had several albums that I had bought just for nostalgia reasons of having some of my favorites. 

So, bottom line, it sounds pretty darn good, and much better than I was expecting.  I cant believe how extended it sounds in both directions. 

So, I have a few questions.

The cartridge is pretty new as far as playing time goes, but it is about 10 years old.  Any reason to replace?

Was this even a well-regarded table?

In trying to attain a good vinyl rig, what would be my places to start.  I am guessing it involves trashing the table and moving to somthing else.  Is there an upgrade path that maybe involves just the cartride for now, then maybe move that cart. to a new table etc?  That would allow me to at least hear some of the changes, and framiliarize myself with vinyl playback systems in general.

Maybe a new arm, this one seems pretty chintzy, it is aluminum.

Thanks!
Paul Hilgeman

lcrim

Brad

Re: Ok, so I just got a simple, old, cheap vinyl rig set-up.
« Reply #2 on: 14 Sep 2006, 09:03 pm »
Clean your records.
Only play clean records on the TT.

Try damping the TT with some Plasti-clay - see links in this circle
Try the Longhorn mod on your cartridge - also linked in this circle

I got my current turntable used on *bay for about $100 - and I like the sound as well as the Music Hall MMF-5 I had before - which was $500.
It's a Denon direct drive (the vinyl purists are screaming in agony right now) but it has a Denon 103 cart on it.

I'd say keep/tweak what you have, decide if the upside of vinyl is worth the hassle for YOU.
If it is, then look to move up.

The organic wholeness of the sound always draws me in......

TheChairGuy

« Reply #3 on: 15 Sep 2006, 07:21 am »
Welcome to real enjoyable music, Paul  :D  The essence of what audiophilia is about can only be found in it's fullest measure by listening to good vinyl.

The Dual is a good place to start...enjoy for a time and see where your passion takes you.

Read thru the treasure trove of advice on VinylEngine, Audio Aslyum's Vinyl area and here on Audio Circle.

It's amazing to thing that the highest fidelity, most organic and consistently enjoyable playback system was invented 100-odd years ago.  I wish it weren't so as it's a damn pain versus dropping a shiny disc in a mechanical drawer, but it's the conclusion I keep coming back to over and over again.

Dammit  :wink:

robert1325

« Reply #4 on: 24 Sep 2006, 10:24 am »
I have a thorens 321 with a denon 103 cartbridge on it,  sounds great,  I should upgrade my phono-amp,  I use the internal amp of a NAD pre.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #5 on: 24 Sep 2006, 01:31 pm »
That was a popular and decent sounding table.

I'd probably replace the cartridge (or at least the stylus if you can) simply because the suspension on the stylus is probably pretty well hardened and shot just due to time.

Bryan

PaulHilgeman

« Reply #6 on: 24 Sep 2006, 01:49 pm »
Thanks for the advice guys.

I got a recomendation to get a AudioTechnica cartridge, I dont remember the model, but it is green.  I replaced it a few days ago, definite sound quality improvement, but unfortunately much quieter.  I will have to get a bit more gain out of my pre.

I got the Pro-Ject PhonoBox II, and a bunch of cleaning supplies too.  Cleaning helped a bunch too, but swapping the cartridge really made a big difference.

Overall, loving vinyl, very organic and solid, almost relaxing to listen to.

-Paul

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #7 on: 24 Sep 2006, 02:39 pm »
Hey Paul.

You gotta be careful.  First it's vinyl.  Next thing you know you'll be listening to tube equipment ;)

Bryan

fitzrik

• Vinylfanatics.com
« Reply #8 on: 2 Oct 2006, 01:30 am »
Yes, welcome Paul. Its a very satisfying, if expensive habit :)

I know nothing about your turntable. But there's loads of second hand decks out there, Linns and Regas are well loked after.

New ones from Project and Clearaudio seem very highly regarded.

But of corse the bulk of the cash should be going on new records :)

PaulHilgeman

« Reply #9 on: 2 Oct 2006, 06:14 pm »
Excelent advice!

Wayner

« Reply #10 on: 2 Oct 2006, 08:23 pm »
Pretty soon you be awake in bed at night, pissed off 'cause your favorite album has a new pop or click, and you have no idea where it came from.............Oh, wait, that's me.

GO TWINS!!!!!