Time to think about another meet?

hometheaterdoc

• Industry Participant
Time to think about another meet?
« on: 13 Sep 2006, 05:48 pm »
Everyone,

Lots and lots of stuff changing on this end recently.  I haven't spent nearly as much time online as I would like.  But I have been trying to make an effort to at least visit Audio Circle once in a while.

I've been doing more and more local installations of home theaters and 2 channel setups.  I have also been so incredibly busy with personal and other committments, that I haven't had the 100+ hours a week to dedicate to the home theater side of things like I would like to do.  So the local theater installs have been taking a large percentage of the time I have available to dedicate to this.  It takes an inordinate amount of time to work with a home owner through the whole process of starting with blueprints and planning a space, through construction, and finally equipment installation and calibration. 

As a result, I have been really examining the business to see what lines I wanted to focus on.  I had spent the past 4 years trying to be everything to everyone and selling everything under the sun that I got my hands on that I liked and fit into a customer's needs.  I've been shifting focus more towards a much smaller list of products that I stock and sell, and focusing on *only* those products.  I have been offering more package solutions for home theater and only a couple very specific products for 2 channel audio.  If someone wants something I don't have, I'm just recommending a dealer I know will treat them well.

I've had some turnover in my line card.  Some of it was out of necessity, and some of it was because I found a couple products that I really wanted to have on display and enjoy myself and offer to customers.

Now that so much has changed and things are seemingly settled as to what I will have on display for the foreseeable future, I thought I'd throw an invite out there and see who wanted to visit and listen to some new gear.  A lot of stuff is already here, setup, and broken in.  Some more stuff is arriving in the next two weeks.  Who's up for a meet in October?

I know a lot of the folks on here are two channel specific.  But I have more surround sound stuff setup recently.  The big draw for a lot of the 2 channel folks will be to hear the Escalante Design Fremonts, the Uinta sub (along with some of my custom subs for comparison sake) and the Acoustic Zen Adagio speakers that everyone is raving about.  I'll let you all draw your own conclusions and preferences.  I've got the old standbys in Butler and Tact gear.  But I've also added some tube gear, new power conditioning, new sources, and some different cabling.

What's a good date for everyone and I'll see if I can block off some time to do an afternoon or two of listening.

Hope everyone is well and I look forward to seeing you all soon!

sheadlee

Re: Time to think about another meet?
« Reply #1 on: 15 Sep 2006, 01:48 am »
Hi, Shane!

Good to hear from you  :D! I'm glad your business is doing well...but I know...the long hours can suck!

I'll let the other guys suggest dates, and chime in if I can match those.

Carlman

« Reply #2 on: 15 Sep 2006, 03:25 pm »
FYI, I think the 1st or 3rd weekend in October is Rocky Mountain Audio Fest... I'll be out of town a lot in early October but will be free later in the month.. Maybe we could have a spooky Halloween meet? aa

hometheaterdoc

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 15 Sep 2006, 03:58 pm »
RMAF is the third weekend in October and I will be there... so that weekend is out... but I'm open to other choices....

spooky works for me.... my place is always in the dark anyways with the theater rooms :)

claud

« Reply #4 on: 25 Sep 2006, 01:40 pm »
A Halloween meet would do it. Either Saturday the 28th or Sunday the 29th.
It will be nice to see you guys and hear some nice equipment again.

Carlman

« Reply #5 on: 25 Sep 2006, 04:08 pm »
I'm cool with Haloween also... 8)

sheadlee

« Reply #6 on: 26 Sep 2006, 01:26 am »
I can come...either later on Saturday...or anytime on Sunday  :wink:!

Hantra

« Reply #7 on: 26 Sep 2006, 01:39 am »
I'm game!  No preference on dates as long as it's toward the end of the month.

sheadlee

« Reply #8 on: 6 Oct 2006, 06:50 pm »
Here are some dates that I know that I can't attend:

Sun Oct 15
Sat Oct 21
Sun Oct 22
Sat Nov 4
Sun Nov 5

Other than those, I'm somewhat flexible.

Looking forward to listening  :drool:!
« Last Edit: 11 Oct 2006, 10:21 am by sheadlee »

vanderstephen

« Reply #9 on: 16 Oct 2006, 04:31 pm »
Hello,
I was wondering if any date has been chosen for the next meet. I would love to show up if newbies are allowed.

hometheaterdoc

• Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: 16 Oct 2006, 05:38 pm »
Hey Guys,

I've missed some messages as I was out of town having a little fun.

I'm in Denver this weekend for RMAF.  So that is out.

How about the next Sunday, Oct. 29th?  I can do Saturday as well if anyone wishes.  But I know Sunday works better for at least one person because of committments on Saturdays.

Let me know and we'll officially set the date.  Everyone is welcome to attend, including newbies :)

More details to follow as soon as we settle on the date.  I've got some new equipment to break in... better get to it...

sheadlee

« Reply #11 on: 16 Oct 2006, 05:54 pm »
 :thumb:Shane!!!

I should be able to make this date...looking forward to seeing and hearing the 'toys'  :drool:!

sheadlee

« Reply #12 on: 24 Oct 2006, 05:49 pm »
Are we going to meet on the 29th??? I haven't seen anyone else reply  :nono:!!!

hometheaterdoc

• Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: 24 Oct 2006, 09:31 pm »
Guys,

Based on my current schedule, I'm going to have to push this meeting.  In the long run, I think it's better anyway because:

a) BK told me at RMAF that he has a couple new tweaks to the Butler Monad circuit that he wants to do to my amps.  I'm sending them in to have the tweaks applied.  I noticed at RMAF that late on Sunday afternoon, things were really starting to sound good in Butler's room.  I think the Monads that he finished right before the show were starting to come in.  I'm excited to hear the differences the new circuits bring...

b)  I've got a LOT of gear still breaking in.  The Slim Devices Transporter is here and breaking in now.  I don't think it would have enough hours on it before this weekend.

c)  In addition to the Transporter, I've added Acoustic Zen Adagio speakers here (a 5.1 setup with the Adagio Jr. for center and surrounds).  They don't have quite enough breakin on them.  I've also been informed by the Escalante Design guys that my Fremonts don't have enough time on them yet.  So I have them running face to face, wired out of phase and a test track torturing them right now.  I've also added a number of tube amps that I haven't fully broken in yet, nor have I had a chance to tube roll and find tubes that I really like.

d)  I picked up a couple new manufacturers at RMAF.... so I'm ordering a bit more gear and waiting for it to show up and let you guys listen.

I'll get back to you asap on a new date.  My apologies on the delay...  I thought I would have all this stuff fully worked in and ready to roll... but I've been pulled away for a multitude of things and just haven't gotten it all done....

Carlman

« Reply #14 on: 24 Oct 2006, 09:45 pm »
That's too bad that we can't meet this weekend... I was thinking it'd work out well....
Does anyone else want to host a meeting?

-C

hometheaterdoc

• Industry Participant
« Reply #15 on: 24 Oct 2006, 11:47 pm »
sorry guys... I'm sick as a dog at the moment and I've had to push a bunch of stuff this week.  It was only a matter of time traveling on airplanes in the past few weeks that I was going to catch something...

sheadlee

« Reply #16 on: 25 Oct 2006, 07:14 pm »
Shane,

Thanks for the update. Sorry to hear that you are feeling PUNY :(!

I will be out of the area Nov 3-5...so I know I can't come then...otherwise, almost any Sunday. We're rapidly approaching a very busy 'family' time of the year...so schedules may be challenging.

Hey...I finally got a new roof on...now I have to fix the damaged ceiling areas...once I get that done, I'd certainly be up for hosting. Unfortunately, it's probably going to take until after the first of the year, before I finish with all of that work.

YES...I've been saying this for a long while...but working 6 days a week makes it difficult (for me) to find time to start on a project...especially when you are living in the same house in which you are trying to do major work. One of these days...mark my words! Of course...I may be DEAF by then, and it will no longer matter  :lol:!!!

claud

« Reply #17 on: 26 Oct 2006, 09:31 pm »
I am busy this weekend and next weekend closing up at the beach. I am also busy taking driving lessons at VIR on the 18,19th of November. I'm sorry you ain't feelin well Shane, but between that and your equipment issues, I might now be able to attend.
Get well. Get that stuff sorted, and then we can have one of our fun meetings.