Quick, short review of Selah Tanzenites

pugs

Quick, short review of Selah Tanzenites
« on: 10 Sep 2006, 09:50 pm »
I finished my 4 day audition of the Selah Tanzenites.  Source is Vinnie modded SB3, pre is Modwright SWL 9.0SE, amps are CIA D200 and cables are Reality cables.  My regular speakers are Salk HT3's. 

I biwired the Tanzenites.  The first thing that came to mind was they they were kind of flat and dry sounding.  They were punchier and thinner sounding than the HT3's.  Unexpectedly, I think they were more detailed than the HT3's yet were less realistic and more veiled at the same time.  I think part of the reason they seemed to be more detailed because there seemed to be less room interactions, especially since they had a lot less bass.  They had good punch and imaging.  Soundstage was a lot smaller than the HT3's.  The 3D image of the Tanzenites might have been a little better than the HT3's also.  The Tanzenites were just a little more forward with a touch, and just a touch, of a harsh edge.

Overall, the Tanzenites were pretty good.  They were nice for home theatre also.  They became a little fatiguing after a while with some of the music I was playing, and I'm not sure if I could live with them long term.  After hooking up the HT3's again, I noticed a much fuller, liquid sound with a lot more bass.  I think I have a lot more room interactions with the HT3's and makes me wonder how good they would be if I could tame those interactions a little.

It's probably not fare to compare the HT3's to the Tanzenites since they are 2-3 times more expensive.  That's the comparison I had though.

Berndt

Re: Quick, short review of Selah Tanzenites
« Reply #1 on: 11 Sep 2006, 03:09 am »
Is this the west coast demo pair?

DSK

« Reply #2 on: 11 Sep 2006, 04:27 am »
Pugs, any thoughts on how the Fountek ribbon in the Tanzanite compared to the Aurum Cantus ribbon in your HT3's?

Carl V

« Reply #3 on: 11 Sep 2006, 05:00 am »
Pugs, any thoughts on how the Fountek ribbon in the Tanzanite compared to the Aurum Cantus ribbon in your HT3's?

I have not heard Tanzenites but I have heard RC3R, next to Criterion & diluceo.
I'd say the ribbons are equivalent.  I've heard HT1 next to Criterion next to Rick's
SA-1.  Again I'd say differences are more dependant on the midwoofer & design.

I've only heard HT3 at RMAF.  It is indeed a nice sounding design.  I've heard
some of RAW's speakers using their Ribbons as well....and again I'd say colorations
or character or whatever is more indicative of the Mid-woofer or Midrange/woofer
implementation

Is the CIA 100 the sole reference amps?  I'm not casting stones but some amps
have some subtle differences.  I don't know if it would change your opinion.

I remember liking the RC3R...but found that it had a bit of an edge...some material
would really exhibit this ...more so that other speakers I have had on hand. And the
RC3R used a SS 8545 driver which is a bit 'warmer' than the Seas W18.  They were more forward than some of the other speakers...but I wouldn't characterize them as flat or dry.  But we all hear differently.  Paired with nice cj-tubes, cj Mosfets & bipolars
Most of found them to be nice.  Augmented with a Sub and they really did quite well.

DSK

« Reply #4 on: 11 Sep 2006, 06:53 am »
Thanks Carl. I guess it is all in the implementation. I'd read of one guy preferring the Fountek to the Ravens, and a couple of others saying that the AC G2/2si is a little polite or laid back in comparison to the Fountek and was just wondering whether there was any common concensus.

pugs

« Reply #5 on: 11 Sep 2006, 07:15 pm »
Is this the west coast demo pair?

Yes

pugs

« Reply #6 on: 11 Sep 2006, 07:16 pm »

I thought they were pretty similar.  It's hard to tell becasue I wasn't switching back and forth between speakers.

pugs

« Reply #7 on: 11 Sep 2006, 08:37 pm »

I have not heard Tanzenites but I have heard RC3R, next to Criterion & diluceo.
I'd say the ribbons are equivalent.  I've heard HT1 next to Criterion next to Rick's
SA-1.  Again I'd say differences are more dependant on the midwoofer & design.

I've only heard HT3 at RMAF.  It is indeed a nice sounding design.  I've heard
some of RAW's speakers using their Ribbons as well....and again I'd say colorations
or character or whatever is more indicative of the Mid-woofer or Midrange/woofer
implementation

Is the CIA 100 the sole reference amps?  I'm not casting stones but some amps
have some subtle differences.  I don't know if it would change your opinion.

I remember liking the RC3R...but found that it had a bit of an edge...some material
would really exhibit this ...more so that other speakers I have had on hand. And the
RC3R used a SS 8545 driver which is a bit 'warmer' than the Seas W18.  They were more forward than some of the other speakers...but I wouldn't characterize them as flat or dry.  But we all hear differently.  Paired with nice cj-tubes, cj Mosfets & bipolars
Most of found them to be nice.  Augmented with a Sub and they really did quite well.

The D200's were the only amps I used.  It wasn't much of a critical comparison or review.  I just hooked them up and played the music I normally listen to.  I didn't do much critical listening.