Whats new at ACI

Eric

Re: Whats new at ACI
« Reply #40 on: 5 Nov 2007, 05:35 pm »
I got a pair of the LFM SE modules to go with my Jaguars this summer from another AC member who ended up not ever using them.
They are absolutely wonderful sounding and I love how they fit seamlessly under the Jaguars.

I think this type of modular setup was a great idea.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;album=1175&pos=1

Agreed. The LFM's are very special

jimmy b

« Reply #41 on: 7 Nov 2007, 11:11 pm »

Sounds like Mike has spent some time on the idea of an LFM or midbass module.

I think that most people that have a Saphire probably already have a sub so that product might have a limited # of potential customers.

Any one with a Saphire would benifit from a midbass tower, wether they hasda sub or not. This would work well with or with out a sub if was able to play full range. Those of us with subs could tuen the sub in where we wanted or even use the passive filters ACI sells.

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #42 on: 8 Nov 2007, 02:12 pm »

Sounds like Mike has spent some time on the idea of an LFM or midbass module.

I think that most people that have a Saphire probably already have a sub so that product might have a limited # of potential customers.

Any one with a Saphire would benifit from a midbass tower, wether they hasda sub or not. This would work well with or with out a sub if was able to play full range. Those of us with subs could tuen the sub in where we wanted or even use the passive filters ACI sells.

We've spent time on countless possiblities . . . and this is one of those. There are two problems however. One of the major reasons for adding something like this would be to take some of the load off the Sapphire XL woofer. This would require a high-pass filter. That is something much better designed as part of an integral 3-way crossover vs. an add on filter.  Related to this is getting a precise sensitivity match between the add-on woofer module and the Sapphires. This is not an issue if the module is powered like the LFM was, but becomes and issue if we try to stay passive.

edmiston

« Reply #43 on: 8 Nov 2007, 08:11 pm »
Hi Mike,

This is why I was suggesting a subwoofer acting as a stand.  With the powered sub, you take the load off the Sapphire's woofer and your primary amp, you give the Sapphire something to sit on that hopefully is more attractive than a metal stand, and you are not looking for a place to put one or two extra boxes in your room, and you don't need to run interconnects across your room.  What's not to like?

Mark

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #44 on: 8 Nov 2007, 10:03 pm »
Hi Mike,

This is why I was suggesting a subwoofer acting as a stand.  With the powered sub, you take the load off the Sapphire's woofer and your primary amp, you give the Sapphire something to sit on that hopefully is more attractive than a metal stand, and you are not looking for a place to put one or two extra boxes in your room, and you don't need to run interconnects across your room.  What's not to like?

Mark

For the life of me,I don't understand why anyone would want to put anything on tope of a subwoofer,,,unless it's a rock!  :lol: The whole purpose of high end stands are to isolate bookshelf speakers, not rock the crap out of them with slammin' bass.  :scratch: Ya'all have lost me on this one,,,,  :?

Robin

oris98

« Reply #45 on: 9 Nov 2007, 05:57 am »
Mike, will you reintroduce the LFM for the XL series ?   This will be a good news to a lot of us if this is the case.. 
Mid bass is what we are looking for...

Thanks.   

Ryan45872

« Reply #46 on: 9 Nov 2007, 08:19 am »
Mike, will you reintroduce the LFM for the XL series ?   This will be a good news to a lot of us if this is the case.. 
Mid bass is what we are looking for...

Thanks.   

I thought the same thing about the LFM. But the more I think about it, I think a Taller slimmer powered midbass cabinet not much deeper or wider than the Sapphire xl's.  I like 4  5" or 6" midbass drivers with  150-200 watt amp from 40-250hz. And leave a LFM,Force,Titan,or a Maestro for 40hz on down.

Ryan

Lkdog

« Reply #47 on: 9 Nov 2007, 05:38 pm »
Hi Mike,

Mark

For the life of me,I don't understand why anyone would want to put anything on tope of a subwoofer,,,unless it's a rock!  :lol: The whole purpose of high end stands are to isolate bookshelf speakers, not rock the crap out of them with slammin' bass.  :scratch: Ya'all have lost me on this one,,,,  :?

Robin

Robin- Your thinking makes sense if you are thinking of subs that weigh only 50-75 lbs and the cabinet resonance at higher volumes would actually create some vibration of the monitor speakers.

The LFM's weigh 120 lbs apiece and are front firing. I previously had my ACI Jaguars on DIY heavy (60 lb each ) sand filled stands and they were coupled to the stands by using blue tac at the point of contact with the stands. Worked pretty well, but I could still feel the resonance from the Jags into the stands which no doubt recycled back to the Jags a little bit even though I had the stands on brass points into carpet and cement.

With the 120 lb LFM's everything is rock soild. The Jags, the LFM's are like one huge 175 lb brick.

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #48 on: 9 Nov 2007, 06:01 pm »
WOW, I had no idea that the LFM's were set up that way. Knowing this, it just makes it more ashame that ACI discontinued this loudspeaker. In my situaion, I have a 14" x 17" x 2"thick Champlain Black marble platform onmy Force XL and I still can't keep anything on top of the marble when I'm cranking the volume. It's hard to believe that any system wouldn't sound better if the bass was kept separte from the mid/hi range drivers. Strictly speaking about a totally ideal situation and not focusing in on your Jaguars in any way. To buiild a subwoofer base for the Sapphires that would have them same qualities of the LFM sounds unrealistic.

As a side thought Lkdog, have you thought about trying Herbies footers under your Jag's instead of bluetac? His footers do a good job of obsorbing vibration, I use his Big Fat Black Dots under the marble platform on my Force XL. Just a thought,,,,  :D

Have a great weekend,  :thumb:

Robin

Lkdog

« Reply #49 on: 9 Nov 2007, 06:19 pm »
WOW, I had no idea that the LFM's were set up that way. Knowing this, it just makes it more ashame that ACI discontinued this loudspeaker. In my situaion, I have a 14" x 17" x 2"thick Champlain Black marble platform onmy Force XL and I still can't keep anything on top of the marble when I'm cranking the volume. It's hard to believe that any system wouldn't sound better if the bass was kept separte from the mid/hi range drivers. Strictly speaking about a totally ideal situation and not focusing in on your Jaguars in any way. To buiild a subwoofer base for the Sapphires that would have them same qualities of the LFM sounds unrealistic.

As a side thought Lkdog, have you thought about trying Herbies footers under your Jag's instead of bluetac? His footers do a good job of obsorbing vibration, I use his Big Fat Black Dots under the marble platform on my Force XL. Just a thought,,,,  :D

Have a great weekend,  :thumb:

Robin

Yeah, I should try a few different things on the coupling of the Jaguars and the LFM's. I am using some very small rubbery dots right now that seem to work fine, but are not necessarily made for the job.
I really did like the Blue Tac stuff before also. It surprisingly worked better than other things I tried for coupling.
I really would be looking to couple the Jags to the LFM's rather than isolate them.

Maybe I have that all wrong, though.  :dunno:

I will say the thing that made the JAG/LFM's absolutely rock solid was getting the optional brass points underneath the LFM"S.
Not only do they drain vibration-they seem to create a firmer grounded foundation.

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #50 on: 9 Nov 2007, 06:30 pm »
I use Audiopoints under all my equipment & speakers,,, even the Force XL. I've tried 3 deifferent kind of cones and Audiopoint's are definitely the best sounding cones. It's a thought and even tho the Jag's probaly aren't drilled for cone installation, there's still the flattop Audiopoints to consider. There's a lot of different way to experiment. Me I've always leaned towards cones vs coupling as I feel there's a more defined sound from cones. And just to stay on topic, maybe the Sapphires could use a set of threaded cones as an option Mike? Just to stay on topic,,,,   :lol:

Robin

oris98

« Reply #51 on: 10 Nov 2007, 07:22 pm »
IMHO, direct coupling will provide the best result for Jag and LFM configuration.  I think the sistrum SP-003 is design to do a wonderful job in this arena.   I tried diff. kind of AMP stands before and the sistrum SP101 bring my BAT VK60 to live especially the bass response.   

If Mike will come up with the mid-bass module  to match with the Sapphire XL and their line of subwoofers, I will go all the way to ACI any time.  The best part for this configuration is that the main speakers, midbass modules and the subs can all placed to their own location which can be optimized for their own placement in room acoustic perspective not like the typical full range floor standing speakers where treble, mid, bass drivers are restricted in one same location which may not be fully optimized..

griller

« Reply #52 on: 16 Nov 2007, 02:33 pm »
Well Mike your Holiday sale is giving me the ammo to finally be able to talk my way into ordering my own Saphire XLs!  So I guess I'll be able to think more about all these ideas once I can listen for myself. At this point I'm not sure that I see a need for any kind of midbass unit although I can see that having subs to use in place of stands makes some sense econically and for space use. For myself, pretty sure if I decide on sub at all, I'd rather have it separate.

So here's another direction entirely. How about an aci quality onwall designed to be used with flat panel TVs?  Seems like a huge market for this. There is a lot of expensive crap already out there, but could aci do the job here?  For example, I have mounted my Emeralds on aci brackets flanking my TV mounted on the wall. To me it looks great! But, of the friends who've seen it, most of the guys like it just fine and most of the women take more of a looks good but I'd like it better if the speakers were actually mounted to the wall.  So my suggestion is to do a speaker meant to mount on the wall with a matching center to mount on the wall under the TV. Piano black would probably be the way to go for finish. Again, I like wood but others say that the black would match better.

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #53 on: 3 Dec 2007, 02:19 pm »
Well Mike your Holiday sale is giving me the ammo to finally be able to talk my way into ordering my own Saphire XLs!  So I guess I'll be able to think more about all these ideas once I can listen for myself. At this point I'm not sure that I see a need for any kind of midbass unit although I can see that having subs to use in place of stands makes some sense econically and for space use. For myself, pretty sure if I decide on sub at all, I'd rather have it separate.

So here's another direction entirely. How about an aci quality onwall designed to be used with flat panel TVs?  Seems like a huge market for this. There is a lot of expensive crap already out there, but could aci do the job here?  For example, I have mounted my Emeralds on aci brackets flanking my TV mounted on the wall. To me it looks great! But, of the friends who've seen it, most of the guys like it just fine and most of the women take more of a looks good but I'd like it better if the speakers were actually mounted to the wall.  So my suggestion is to do a speaker meant to mount on the wall with a matching center to mount on the wall under the TV. Piano black would probably be the way to go for finish. Again, I like wood but others say that the black would match better.

Griller:

This is something that quite a few people have emailed, called about. For many, the Emerald XLs work out perfectly, but some seem to feel they'd rather have something closer to what you describe. So many routes we can take . . .

griller

« Reply #54 on: 7 Dec 2007, 03:42 pm »
If you build them they will come.  I know of two couples who would likely purchase a set of speakers from you that were designed for wall mounnting with their flat screens. They love the quality of my Emeralds. I'm sure there is a big, big market for these little speakers.

Eric

« Reply #55 on: 8 Dec 2007, 12:42 am »
IMHO, direct coupling will provide the best result for Jag and LFM configuration.  I think the sistrum SP-003 is design to do a wonderful job in this arena.   I tried diff. kind of AMP stands before and the sistrum SP101 bring my BAT VK60 to live especially the bass response.   

If Mike will come up with the mid-bass module  to match with the Sapphire XL and their line of subwoofers, I will go all the way to ACI any time.  The best part for this configuration is that the main speakers, midbass modules and the subs can all placed to their own location which can be optimized for their own placement in room acoustic perspective not like the typical full range floor standing speakers where treble, mid, bass drivers are restricted in one same location which may not be fully optimized..

I am in fact using Sistrum stuff with my Jag / LFM's  with good results

griller

« Reply #56 on: 14 Feb 2008, 08:32 pm »
Thought I'd bring this one back just to see if ACI has any news for us of upcoming products. And I'm sure Mike and crew wouldn't mind more feedback on what we want them to work on.

My votes would be an affordable pair of towers and mini speakers for the flat panel market.

Eric

« Reply #57 on: 15 Feb 2008, 03:29 pm »
I would like to see the jags resurrected

jimmy b

« Reply #58 on: 20 Feb 2008, 01:18 am »
Jaguar XL's......

Im in

tomagardner

« Reply #59 on: 21 Feb 2008, 01:51 am »