SoniCap Platinum caps

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
SoniCap Platinum caps
« on: 7 Sep 2006, 11:11 am »
Danny,

Where are the prices for the SoniCap Platinum caps?

Looking at your site (http://www.gr-research.com/components/SoniCap.htm) , I just see a page that says "SoniCaps".

Thanks,

George

Occam

Re: SoniCap Platinum caps
« Reply #1 on: 7 Sep 2006, 12:41 pm »

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 7 Sep 2006, 12:48 pm »
Thank you Paul.

George

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 7 Sep 2006, 04:14 pm »
I've used the SCPs in a couple different amp pairs.  I find them to be VERY tonally neutral, smooth (= NOT edgy), and detailed.  Those who like the highly characterful Jensen paper/oil copper-foils need not apply.

Danny Richie

« Reply #4 on: 7 Sep 2006, 07:51 pm »
All Sonic Platinum's are in stock. I just don't have them up on my web site.

.01 uF $17.80 each
.022 uF $19.20 each
.033 uF $20.60 each
.047 uF $22.00 each
.1 uF $29.00 each
.22 uF $39.80 each
.33 uF $53.40 each
.47 uF $62.20 each
1.0 uF $97.80 each

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 7 Sep 2006, 09:06 pm »
Thanks.

George

mgalusha

« Reply #6 on: 7 Sep 2006, 10:23 pm »
Those who like the highly characterful Jensen paper/oil copper-foils need not apply.

I agree, they are quite different than the Jensen PIO caps. However, a Jensen bypassed with a Sonicap Platinum is a thing of beauty, at least in the applications I've tried them in. :)

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 7 Sep 2006, 10:46 pm »
Those who like the highly characterful Jensen paper/oil copper-foils need not apply.

I agree, they are quite different than the Jensen PIO caps. However, a Jensen bypassed with a Sonicap Platinum is a thing of beauty, at least in the applications I've tried them in. :)

THAT's a combination I've not tried, but it makes sense, at least preliminarily.  My ASL dealer, who loves to modify them, LOVES the Jensen PIO/CFs; he says once you try them, you'll never go back to a plastic-film cap, and also that once you hear them, you'll think plastic caps are broken.  (He said the same about using Mullard EL34 xf2s as drivers in the ASL 805s--that anything else will sound broken.)  Strong words, his, but I still chose SoniCap Platinums in the 1st--and Cardas Golden Ratios in the 2nd--coupling positions of my ASL 'Canes.  I THINK the controversy about the Jensens is sort of like that about SETs--fans say either is simply passing along the richness of the music that's inherent to it, while others feel either is adding its characteristics...warmth in the lower MR and some degree of softness in the treble...to the music, that is, changing it.

If one had a 0.22µF cap, would you use a 0.22 Jensen and a, say, 0.047 SCP?  That is, about 5% SCP?

mgalusha

« Reply #8 on: 8 Sep 2006, 12:43 am »
Hi Jeffrey,

I've only used the Jensen PIO/CF + SoniCap combo in tube gear, so I didn't worry so much about altering the characteristics as I suspect the vacuum tubes are doing that a bit anyhow.

I've used them as coupling caps, both on the output and interstage. In my linestage I've got 2.2uF Jensen's with .1uF SoniCap's. In the Transcendent SC-150's I built I used a .47uF Jensen with a .01uF SoniCap. I've also used 1uF bypassed with a .1uF as an output coupling cap in a few other peoples line stages. All worked well. I read long ago that 10% is supposed to be ideal but who knows. The 2.2/.1 combo is 4.5% but the .47/.01 combo is only 2.1%. That was a special case as going with a larger cap would cause the amp to oscillate and I figured adding a .01 was within the tolerance of most any cap. The 5% combo you mention will probably work fine. If it's part of an EQ network, such as a RIAA circuit I'd be careful as changing the value much will alter the EQ curve.

I can understand what your friend sees in the Jensen's. It's hard to go back once you've heard them though I installed some in a preamp as output caps and didn't care for them and ultimately removed them. However a few years later I had sold the preamp to a friend and he asked a few months later if I knew of any tweaks that might improve it. By then I had started working with the Jensen/SoniCap combo so I suggested we do that. Worked out very well. The rich and luscious sound of the Jensen's but with the clarity and transparency of the SoniCap's.

There are definitely places I won't use a PIO/CF such as in a line level high pass filter (like for Vandy subs) and using a SoniCap Platinum is just the ticket. Anyway, didn't want to hijack George's thread, so I'll shut up now. :)

mike
« Last Edit: 8 Sep 2006, 05:50 pm by mgalusha »

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 8 Sep 2006, 12:48 am »
No issue on hi-jacking - talk away.

George

bluemike

« Reply #10 on: 8 Sep 2006, 01:34 am »
Interesting Read  :green:

Anyone care to comment on the Mundorfs

How are these different from Sonicap platinum caps from a sound perspective ?

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #11 on: 8 Sep 2006, 02:06 am »
 I have been modifying tube gear for years now as well as designing a few lately. I have played with a lot of capacitors and personally like the Teflon as a primary capacitor. There are a few situations where PIO's were requested. Both Jensen and Audio Note were used. I very much like the PIOs and personal preferences will be the final decission maker.

In recent R&D on my Bella 300B amps, I went back and forther between Teflons and Audio Note PIOs. They both sounded very good but I prefer the Teflons for their extension and air. Again, personal preferences.

Early next year, I am considering building a custom pair of Bella EXtreme 100s with PIO coupling caps (probably Jensen) and Teflon at the input stages. This should provide a warm, seductive presentation while maintaining exceptional detail, clarity and extension.

By the way, I am building a pair of ASL 108 tube mono blocs running the SonicCap Platinum coupling capacitors for RMAF.

Danny Richie

« Reply #12 on: 8 Sep 2006, 02:10 am »
By the way, I am building a pair of ASL 108 tube mono blocs running the SonicCap Platinum coupling capacitors for RMAF.

Cool, maybe I'll get to hear them.