Parasound Halo JC1 amps

J Harris

Parasound Halo JC1 amps
« on: 17 Jun 2003, 04:35 am »
Has anyone heard the new Parasound Halo JC1 monoblocs - their new top of the line? 400 wpc into 8 ohms, doubling down, 135 amps of current delivery, rave review from Sue Kraft in the new Absolute Sound, John Curl designed.

As I consider my various amplification options for the 626Rs, these leap out as .... umm.. extremely interesting.

J!

jcoat007

Wayne1

Parasound Halo JC1 amps
« Reply #2 on: 17 Jun 2003, 01:52 pm »
There is a gentleman here in Denver with a pair of JC-1s driving a pair of TRT, FST RM-40s. He is using a AVA hybrid preamp and a SONY XA-777ES. He is having me build a MENSA Plus DI/O for him and he is interested in listening to my cables. I believe the rest of the DAM and I will be paying him a visit soon to check out his system.

I know Tyson wants to compare his Fet-Valve to the JC-1s.

I will keep the board updated.

bkwiram

amp for VMPS
« Reply #3 on: 17 Jun 2003, 08:08 pm »
I haven't heard the various combinations, but Marty DeWulf at Bound For Sound reviewed the JC1s using his RM40s and ultimately preferred the Pass X250 on that speaker.

This might imply that an X150 or X250 would be an amp worth looking at with the 626. I think Julian at Sedona Sky Sound has recommended one of the Marsh amps specifically for the 626 as well.

best,

BK

J Harris

Parasound Halo JC1 amps
« Reply #4 on: 19 Jun 2003, 12:57 am »
I'm currently torn between saving money by buying a smaller amp like the X-150 or the smaller Marsh, or getting a bigger setup like the JC-1s or Ampzillas in light of a possible upgrade from 626Rs to RM40s within the next year.

We do have a Parasound dealer in Manhattan, but I don't know whether he'll let me audition in my home. I usually buy online which means I don't have a good dealer relationship, and I view in-shop demos as fairly useless. It's difficult not being able to hear any of these amps with MY speakers in MY room.

Thanks for the answers, folks.

J!

ekovalsky

Parasound Halo JC1 amps
« Reply #5 on: 19 Jun 2003, 07:03 am »
The PS Audio Classic 250 is another good choice.  I picked up a mint demo for well under $3k (retail is $5k).  I may get a second so I can biamp  :lol:

randytsuch

Parasound Halo JC1 amps
« Reply #6 on: 19 Jun 2003, 03:43 pm »
audioadvisor has them
http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?sku=PARJC1&product_name=JC-1%20400-Watt%20Mono%20Amplifier%20(Each)

I think they have a 30 day return policy, of course you would be out shipping, which is not cheap for those monsters.

Randy

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
    • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
Parasound Halo JC1 amps
« Reply #7 on: 24 Jul 2003, 04:41 am »
Never ABd my Ampzilla 2000 with the JC1.  Did listen extensively to the JC1 at CES on the big $18,000 SoundLabs.  The JC ran very hot, the A2K always cool.  JC much bigger than the A2K.  If money relevant, consider the $3000ea Ampzilla stereo amp if it is available now.  The A2K is far & away the best amp I've ever heard, making a died in the wool tube nut (me) forsake tubes.  Even after over one year, I have still not identified any additive sonic signature to the A2K amps, they get out of the way more than any I know of.