Improve your speakers for 8 dollars with pics

warnerwh

Improve your speakers for 8 dollars with pics
« on: 4 Sep 2006, 04:47 am »
The finish on my MLS Rosewood cabinets on my RM 40's is gorgeous. This is obviously a premium furniture grade finish. A perfect compliment I've thought would be piano black bases. Being the adventurous person I am I went and bought some lustre gloss lacquer spray paint.

The bottom piece had a very slightly rough finish but the sides are super smooth. Sanding with some 320 grit only took 20 minutes. Using two cans of paint I probably put on 8 light coats. The result is beautiful!

The trick is in the prep job. You want everything smooth as a babies butt and perfectly clean. Painting needs to be done in a dust free area with consistent slightly overlapping strokes. Use two light coats 5 minutes apart then wait 30 minutes or so to allow drying and do two coats 5 minutes apart again.

When you're done the finish should be smooth as glass with a mirror finish.

In my opinion the little time I spent to improve the looks of the bases had been well worth it. I'm somewhat skilled at this but no pro so I think most anybody can do it.

A couple of points I should add is that proper spray painting technique should be used. This means letting off the button at the end of each stroke, moving at a consistent rate and keeping the spray can at a consistent distance each stroke. Light coats are important. Do not try to use any heavy coats. And lastly any spec of grit or dust will stick out so if done in a garage it's not a bad idea to take a bucket of water after sweeping and covering the floor with the water to keep dust down.
« Last Edit: 4 Sep 2006, 10:09 pm by warnerwh »

Levi

Re: Improve your speakers for 8 dollars
« Reply #1 on: 4 Sep 2006, 12:53 pm »
Wow you are adventurous.  Do you have a picture of before and after?

warnerwh

« Last Edit: 5 Sep 2006, 04:41 am by warnerwh »

mca

Re: Improve your speakers for 8 dollars with pics
« Reply #3 on: 4 Sep 2006, 11:20 pm »
I know you had wanted to do something like that for a long time. Looks like the results were worth it, nice job  :thumb:

John Casler

« Reply #4 on: 5 Sep 2006, 03:43 am »
Very Cool Warner :thumb:

Levi

« Reply #5 on: 5 Sep 2006, 04:15 am »
I agree.  It is pro look indeed! :thumb: