Experiences with XRS and Dynakit?

jrhanl

Experiences with XRS and Dynakit?
« on: 3 Sep 2006, 07:35 am »
Hi everyone,

I just ordered a pair of XRS speakers, and I am now looking to match them with a reasonably priced tube amp.  I have considered: Decware Taboo, an integrated FI X, Almarro 205, and Sophia Baby (I own a SI Super T)...someday I will buy a RWA sig 30...but for now I am focused on tubes...

Most recently, the Dynakit ST-35 caught my attention.
It has received strong reviews.  And the DIY element seems like a rewarding challenge (or potential nightmare...).  However, the thrill of building an amp is not an end in itself to me; the sound is.       

Does anyone have experience using the Dynakit with the Super 3/XRS?  How does it compare with the Almarro 205? 

For context:  I listen primary to classical, and within that broad category, mostly piano works (Schubert and Beethoven's sonatas are favorites).  However, I would  like an amp that can manage the occasional Mahler symphony...

Thanks in advance for any advice/input.     

Songforyou

Re: Experiences with XRS and Dynakit?
« Reply #1 on: 3 Sep 2006, 04:09 pm »
I owned a beautiful Dyna ST-70 (EL34) for a number of years and enjoyed it.  I now own a Scott 222C and prefer it by a mile.  There is a wonderful synergy between Omegas and EL84 based amps (apparently I'm not the only one to think so, as can be seen in another thread).  I believe the ST-35 runs on EL84s, so you are on the right track.  By the way, I'm using the Scott to drive a pair of Super 3Rs.

Good luck!

Louis O

« Reply #2 on: 3 Sep 2006, 08:03 pm »
Hi jrhanl,

Great post and I agree with the Dynakit ST-35. I have one myself and it's a steal. The amp sounds wonderfull in everyway and the synergy with EL-84 and Omegas is very real. Kevin really spend years getting the amps ready and they totally faithful to the original. I recommend it 100% and for SS the RWA Sig 30 is the way to go.

In regards to running the Dynakit, I would use a passive pre and change out the Sovtek to either JJs or a you can get a set of Russian 70's NOS tubes from Joe Fratus at Art Audio. Not expensive and sounds amazing. Vinnie can get a Passive pre built at a great price.

Hi Songforyou,

Great post and you hit it right on. Another great amp is the Fisher X202.

Thanks gain,
Louis

jrhanl

« Reply #3 on: 5 Sep 2006, 07:28 am »
Thank you for the suggestions...

I think I will purchase the Dynakit with RWA pre...and I am also thinking about getting into the vintage amps...frankly, it just sounds fun (and the amps yield excellent sound from what I've read on the "el84" posts).

In my mind the hands-on experience of DIY and collecting/re-building vintage pieces is far preferable to the mad chase for bigger and better (perfect?) equipment.   

Now I just need to refine my soldering skills...

Thanks again for the suggestions...