Contemplating Odyssey

Haoleb

Contemplating Odyssey
« on: 31 Aug 2006, 11:45 pm »
Ive been hearing about odyssey for quite some time now, Although All of the products are out of my budget (so whats new?!) I could almost get there if i sold off all my extra gear. I currently have a NAD C370 integrated amp that im driving with a somewhat modded bottlehead foreplay. Speakers are Axiom M80v2's. I have kind of been wanting to get a power amp for a while and have recently checked out offerings from B&K, Parasound Halo, and even NAD again but none of them quite have the following of the Stratos from what I can tell.

I have been reading the threads but while i dont have the budget for Extreme mono's which is what it seems most people eventually get Im more than a bit intersted in the Extreme stratos or the even more affordable Khartego (is this even available?, not on website) Actually the only thing i could even fathom affording is the basic stratos but even worse would be sending a 60 lb amp back to Klause to have it modded. From Hawaii!

Perhaps a suggestion, But what exactly is done to upgrade a Stratos stereo to Extreme or Plus? This would make a great sticky.

I suppose what I am really asking is what is the most affordable yet effective way to experience the Odyssey line? And if anyone has switched to odyssey amps from the NAD and what were your initial thoughts.  I will continue to read more about them but figured Id throw this out there.

For more information on my system you can check out my website: http://home.hawaii.rr.com/fcaihifi/haoleb/index.htm

gongos

Re: Contemplating Odyssey
« Reply #1 on: 31 Aug 2006, 11:49 pm »
I have an Extreme Stratos for sale. I'm selling it because it's too big for my rack. Best SS amp I've heard.

Haoleb

« Reply #2 on: 1 Sep 2006, 12:02 am »
I have an Extreme Stratos for sale. I'm selling it because it's too big for my rack. Best SS amp I've heard.

Yes, I was JUST looking at it on Agon, But I havent got the cash burning a hole in my pocket just yet. believe me, theres a hole there already. Just no cash  :lol:

On another note is that a custom made nametag on the back? If so thats pretty cool, Especuially since my speakers have been custom made for me also :)

gongos

« Reply #3 on: 1 Sep 2006, 12:05 am »
Find some cash. :cry:

Soundbitten

« Reply #4 on: 1 Sep 2006, 12:28 am »

Wouldn't that be reason enough to get another rack ?

gongos

« Reply #5 on: 1 Sep 2006, 12:32 am »
I'm not using traditional SS amps in my system.

Haoleb

« Reply #6 on: 1 Sep 2006, 12:44 am »
Well I have answered one of my main questions... By looking at the singapore site. basically the only difference is the amount of filter capacitance. the US site definetly does need an update. I wonder if Klause would be interested in trading a stratos for building a website and updating it for free  :D Well... I can dream cant I?!

mtodde

« Reply #7 on: 1 Sep 2006, 01:28 am »
Well I have answered one of my main questions... By looking at the singapore site. basically the only difference is the amount of filter capacitance. the US site definetly does need an update. I wonder if Klause would be interested in trading a stratos for building a website and updating it for free  :D Well... I can dream cant I?!

Klaus is the king of the deal...give him a call!

TheChairGuy

« Reply #8 on: 1 Sep 2006, 01:53 am »

While Klaus isn't a technofile, I think the out-of-date website might be part of a larger strategy to have some semblance of a life outside of Odyssey.  He said to me more than once he's too busy....I'm assuming that would mean he'd be even busier if he had a fully functioning website.  Just a guess on my part, of course....there is a reason why he's so busy; his products are first rate in their own right, offer great value and his service is beyond the normal call  :)

Haoleb

« Reply #9 on: 1 Sep 2006, 02:01 am »
From reading the majority of the reviews on AR, I can see why he would be extremly busy. Seems like most of the people have called him numerous times and if he builds the amps himself well. I cant imagine time for anything else. But i truly admire what i have read about Odyssey and Klaus, because someday I hope to be able to do much of the same sort of thing. Offer outstanding product(s) with even more outstanding service. I havent got the skills to design my own circuits or really impliment them into a fully operating production but I do have the passion for it. from looking at the singapore site, It seems he could just use that and maybe change a few things here and there but it would be leaps and bounds better than the current US one.

If the outdated'ness is a "spend less time holding a solderin iron" strategy, well i think its going to take more than that to fend off customers! From what I have read the Stratos is exactly what I have been wanting. I have dreamed of Bryston for quite some time and this seems like the same thing for quite a bit cheaper and from some reviews maybe even better sound.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #10 on: 1 Sep 2006, 02:21 am »
I went from auditioning a new SS/'digital' amp every few months to an Odyssey Khartago (way under $1000.00, I think it's still $779.00) and was hooked within minutes.  Within a week I had ordered the top-of-the-line Khartao Monoblocks for 2x that and have had shit-eatin' grin on my face since  :D

I read this and that on the web and I get to thinking about a new amp to try...then I turn on my sytem and the thought just melts away.  The thing is, it's not just my experience...Klaus doesn't check in here much (actively, tho he monitors it without posting more) and this circle is still one of the busiest at AC.  The owners, literally, do the talking for the maker - and we like to  :thumb:   

fredgarvin

« Reply #11 on: 1 Sep 2006, 04:24 am »
Haoleb, I am not an Odyssey owner, but from what I can glean from the info available about the Stratos design and owner info, I would expect a big step up from your NAD gear. I also think it would improve the sound of the Axioms. Higher current, capacitance and less glare from the Stratos to stimulate those sometimes overactive tweeters. Probably more solid bass as well.

MaxCast

« Reply #12 on: 1 Sep 2006, 11:34 am »
Keep your eyes on the used market.  There are even Tempest preamps that can be had at a good price, especially when the Candella starts to ship.
See this add for a Stratos $450 :o
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=30919.0
As long as you modified your gain on the foreplay you will love it with the Stratos.

lazydays

« Reply #13 on: 1 Sep 2006, 05:12 pm »
I went from auditioning a new SS/'digital' amp every few months to an Odyssey Khartago (way under $1000.00, I think it's still $779.00) and was hooked within minutes.  Within a week I had ordered the top-of-the-line Khartao Monoblocks for 2x that and have had shit-eatin' grin on my face since  :D

I read this and that on the web and I get to thinking about a new amp to try...then I turn on my sytem and the thought just melts away.  The thing is, it's not just my experience...Klaus doesn't check in here much (actively, tho he monitors it without posting more) and this circle is still one of the busiest at AC.  The owners, literally, do the talking for the maker - and we like to  :thumb:   

let me chime in here!
     Now I'm one of those guys who think the word transistor sucks! I mean in spades! But sometime back I picked up a pair of monoblocs with a plan on a new adventure that I just knew tubes wouldn't work in. Later I had the two amps upgraded to "the full tilt boogie." Now I'm one of those guys who is in love with the Conrad Johnson sound (as long as it's tubes). Well after a couple months let me tell you this. The sound is very tube friendly (I mean very here), very fast with lots of slam. Compared with a Krell, i'd have to say it's about 115%
of the Krell. And maybe some more. I think this brand of amp are what we've longed for, for a long time. Drive them with a pretty good tube preamp, and the first thing you'll say to yourself is that these speakers sound like they've never sounded before (that's my exact first thought). I suspect the Kartangos will have the same kind of sound (I like to call it slick), but with a little less power (just how much do you really need here?). Suggest you give it a lot of deep thought, and then start looking for a good tube preamp. You'll never look back! I now consider that old stuff as a past life.
gary

lazydays

« Reply #14 on: 1 Sep 2006, 05:19 pm »

let me tell a story on myself.
When I bought my monos I soon discoverd that the amp stands were not big enough, and doubt they'd have handled the weight all that well (65lb. at the time). Picked up a pair of near mint condition Zeothicus
amp stands that had the optional isolation pads. Now they look like they were actually built around the monoblocs! The Adonas look pretty good, but think Target stands might bee a little too light (Extremes are 75lb.). My suggestion is to keep the amps and invest in a pair of good amp stands. You'll be happier.
gary

DMi

« Reply #15 on: 1 Sep 2006, 05:49 pm »
I've been listening to the Stratos Stereo w/ cap upgrade since 2001. Klaus has suggested a major update I am planning on and it will become a three channel in the mix at a minimum cost. All I can say is save up your cash. For the price you're not going to buy a better amplifer. My runs all the time and drives a pair of Maggies (1.6/QR) biwired when we listen or watch. There are three reasons I am returning to Klaus for the upgrade...

1. Value, 2. Service, 3. Sound

Despite the very few who don't understand this guy is working his tail off and apparently loves what he's doing and will bend over backwards most reviews are exactly dead on the product. You'll be hard pressed to find better without robbing a bank or going to get an second mortage.

Doug

Haoleb

« Reply #16 on: 1 Sep 2006, 07:10 pm »
Keep your eyes on the used market.  There are even Tempest preamps that can be had at a good price, especially when the Candella starts to ship.
See this add for a Stratos $450 :o
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=30919.0
As long as you modified your gain on the foreplay you will love it with the Stratos.

About the gain, My foreplay has got the sweet whispers, with the -20,-50db resistor set installed (im pretty sure thats what it is), Its the set which allows for more attenuation. Other mods include coupling caps, DC heaters, HV snubber, & IEC cord. I wasnt really planning on upgrading the preamp. If anything do more mods maybe as I think its a pretty good peice already. Then again i havent got any local hifi shops to gander and listen to gear at so my experience is somehwhat limited. But it does sound better than the preamp in my NAD, and an Audire Diffet 2 ive got. All the reviews and more than happy owners really speak so much praise I dont think i need any further convincing that this is going to be my next upgrade  :thumb: Used, or otherwise. I can just picture a big black box with a blue odyssey logo glowing on the front sitting on my rack already.

the only bad thing is the power switch on the back, The way it would be setup, its hard to reach, and i certainly cant leave it switched on with a tube preamp, and I dont like to leave my gear on all the time. Especially with tubes.
« Last Edit: 1 Sep 2006, 07:42 pm by Haoleb »

Soundbitten

« Reply #17 on: 1 Sep 2006, 09:30 pm »
I don't know if this is a fair comparison but my Odyssey Stratos blew away my vintage (1980 ) 2080 NAD amp in every department .

I leave the Stratos on all the time but shut my tube preamp down when not using it with no problems or hassles . When I power up the pre I leave the mute button on until another light starts blinking signaling it's readiness .

Haoleb

« Reply #18 on: 18 Sep 2006, 07:31 pm »
Well I had a chance to call Klaus over the weekend, Looks like I'll be stepping into a pair of Khartago Mono's :thumb: Cant wait  :D

Now my only problem is what to do with them, I need to make room on my rack for not one but two big ole' amps.

bunky

« Reply #19 on: 19 Sep 2006, 12:39 am »
Well I had a chance to call Klaus over the weekend, Looks like I'll be stepping into a pair of Khartago Mono's :thumb: Cant wait  :D

Now my only problem is what to do with them, I need to make room on my rack for not one but two big ole' amps.
Hey Haoleb, congratulation's. i previously owned one of the first pairs of Khartago monos with the upgraded Plitron transformers.  you are in for a real treat. Brystons to my ears sound hard,sterile and clinical,the Khartago monos in comparison sound as smooth as silk but at the same time seem very powerful. the 100 amps of current make them seem much more powerful than thier rated 150 wpc. i now own a pair of "special order"mono extreme SEs but i still hold a great fondness for the great little Khartago monos. these little gems are the best kept secret in high end audio.thanks....WCW III