Wow!

BRN

Wow!
« on: 30 Aug 2006, 09:12 pm »
I want to thank Wayne for the great sound I'm getting from my SB2. I can't believe what I’m hearing from it now compared to the it's original mods. I have gone through a progression with the SB mods. First, getting the Basic PS rev1 and the original full mods to the SB that only included the Sonicap coupling caps. I was happy with the sound, and felt that the bass and highs sounded better then my DAC, but the mids did not. When I ordered my SB Wayne did not offer the Sonicap Gen2 and Platinum bypass caps, but when I read the initial post about them and after talking to Wayne I went with them. It was just what I was looking for in the mids. Now the SB with analog out was sounding better then my DAC and CD-Pro2M combo. I was very happy with this setup, but read on the forum about the improvements to the PS with the addition of Jenson caps, so I decided to get them. Since I did not have the money for the ULTIMATE Power Supply MKII and after talking to Wayne I decided to have the Jensen caps and EI core transformer added to my Basic rev1. I also went with the BG caps in the SB and NITRO DC cable. These mods made the biggest percentage improvement I have heard in my system, and this is the best it has ever sounded. All the previous mods and changes were great, but now the sound is on a different level. The music sounds more focused. What I though was good bass was just a little blotted, the highs are the cleanest I have ever heard and mids are silky smooth. I feel like I'm at the recording studio or concert. The best part is that this cost less then my CD DAC combo and it sounds better. If anyone is thinking of going the computer audio route the SB and Bolder mods are the way to go.

Thanks from a very happy customer,
Brad

P.S. I can only imagine what the Slipstream Bybee Purifiers can do for the sound.

Wayne1

Re: Wow!
« Reply #1 on: 30 Aug 2006, 09:49 pm »
Brad,

I am glad you are enjoying the upgrades :D

The Black Gates in the SB2 will take about three weeks to fully settle in. There will be quite a bit of changing sound during that time.

I was able to come VERY close to the latest build of the Ultimate with the upgrades to Brad's Basic Rev 1. The new transformer and regulator circuit plus some slightly different values on the Jensen caps really brought this PS up to date.

If anyone else is interested in updating their Basic Rev 1 or Deluxe PS, please get in touch with me.