LFM SE Limited Special Edition Powered Subwoofers!

DSK

Re: LFM SE Limited Special Edition Powered Subwoofers!
« Reply #20 on: 6 Sep 2006, 11:52 pm »
The sub has the freq. meters marked on them.
The problem is that 'in room' those figures may not be accurate.

...but this does not protect the 2000's since it's still running in full range and without the filter....
You seem to be worried that you will damage your 2000's or that they will distort if you run them full range with a sub. My point is that the volume we listen at is largely determined by the bass weight. When you use a sub there is more weight in the bass and we therefore get the volume, visceral impact and engagement that we seek at a lower volume. This will reduce the strain on your 2000's, resulting in better mids and less distortion (much like an HPF would), without using a filter that can cause phase changes etc of its own.

...I don't have the ET5, either.  But heck, it's alright.  I can live with it.  I just thought I'd ask for a quick solution if it was possible.  Once again, thank you. Ian
You really need to measure the natural rolloff of your 2000's in YOUR room. ETF5 is not very expensive, but you can do it with just a cheap RS meter. The ACI HPF's are only 6db/octave, so you need to use the one that best matches the natural rolloff of your 2000's in your room to provide a cumulative and steeper rolloff that will better match the rolloff slope of your subwoofer's LPF (24db/octave I presume). This will provide a more symmetrical match of filters and usually provide a flatter response as a result. All you have to do then is to measure the frequency response again, with the subwoofer on this time, and adjust sub settings to get the flattest response. If this is done and the crossover frequency between sub and 2000's is not too high, there should be no colouration or lack of clarity from a quality sub.
So, with a tiny expense and a little more of your time, you should be able to get a seamless blend and full range 2000's!

The measurement will also demonstrate whether your subwoofer is exciting room modes that need to be addressed with a little bass trapping.

Good Luck!

Lkdog

« Reply #21 on: 26 Sep 2006, 11:48 pm »
Interesting discussion about the Jag 2000's and ACI Titan subs.
As noted in my signature, I have a pair of Titans with my Jaguar SE's that I bought last August from ACI.

I have experimented off and on with various low pass settings on subs and ports plugged and unplugged on the Jags.
I recently did some measurements with the Rives CD and a Radio Shack SPL meter.
In an effort to dial in the sub/monitor transition better I tested the Jaguars alone.
They were surprisingly still producing a signal within -1db at 25 hz. I used 80db at 1000hz as my 0 db reference.

This may be why Ian likes the Jaguar 2000's so well alone-they probably also go pretty darn low even without a sub!

I agree that the subs add weight that creates a greater sense of realism and feeling of the music.

The point about room modes is probably accurate. After measuring it is obvious I have some bass spikes which can impact the clarity of the midrange. I am in the process of getting some bass traps set up to address those.

FWIW- I am presently running the Jaguars full range with ports unplugged and have the ACI Titan's lowpass @ 50hz.
This gives me the best measurements before bass trap treatment and sounds better.

jkscherk

« Reply #22 on: 27 Sep 2006, 02:09 pm »
This discussion has motivated me to experiment a little more with my Jag/LFM SE setup.  My LFMs are a touch different as I had Mike add the fixed, 100Hz crossover into the LFMs that was part of the original Jag/LFM w/AWS setup.  I run a full-range signal to the LFM, the internal crossover keeps everything from 100Hz and below from going to the Jags (which I still use with ports open.)  I then use the two crossover controls on the LFM amps set to about 100Hz which gives me a 24db/octave rolloff (which matches the internal 100Hz crossover.)  I was trying to get to as close to the original Jag/LFM package without using the AWS/original amp setup.

Mike...correct me if I've got anything wrong here.

The result is really spectacular, but I'm always trying to improved, so I might mess around with some other configurations.

BTW, I did run the Jags alone before adding the LFMs and I can attest to them going very low given the right amplifier.  Lower than a speaker of its size probealy should!! :nono:    :thumb:

John

Lkdog

« Reply #23 on: 28 Sep 2006, 04:30 am »
BTW, I did run the Jags alone before adding the LFMs and I can attest to them going very low given the right amplifier.  Lower than a speaker of its size probealy should!!

I have a Tube Research Labs modded Musical Fidelity A300 which seems to have pretty good extension on both ends.
Jags are sweet.

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #24 on: 28 Sep 2006, 11:56 pm »
This discussion has motivated me to experiment a little more with my Jag/LFM SE setup.  My LFMs are a touch different as I had Mike add the fixed, 100Hz crossover into the LFMs that was part of the original Jag/LFM w/AWS setup.  I run a full-range signal to the LFM, the internal crossover keeps everything from 100Hz and below from going to the Jags (which I still use with ports open.)  I then use the two crossover controls on the LFM amps set to about 100Hz which gives me a 24db/octave rolloff (which matches the internal 100Hz crossover.)  I was trying to get to as close to the original Jag/LFM package without using the AWS/original amp setup.

Mike...correct me if I've got anything wrong here.

The result is really spectacular, but I'm always trying to improved, so I might mess around with some other configurations.

BTW, I did run the Jags alone before adding the LFMs and I can attest to them going very low given the right amplifier.  Lower than a speaker of its size probealy should!! :nono:    :thumb:

John

John:

Can't correct you, nothing wrong :)  And yes, it is always a good idea to try every possible option and trick. That's part of the fun, and because we all have different rooms and priorities, part of finding the magic.