IMOD performance ?

ton1313

IMOD performance ?
« on: 28 Aug 2006, 04:11 am »
Can anyone tell me which CD players they compaired their IMOD to, and the out come.
I am considering this, or adding a new CDP.

Thanks

ton1313

Re: IMOD performance ?
« Reply #1 on: 29 Aug 2006, 08:27 pm »
Anyone?

Jampot

« Reply #2 on: 29 Aug 2006, 09:23 pm »
Someone will be along in a minute :lol:

I haven't had the opportunity to directly compare with any 'high end cdps - my main system has a Quad 77 player (mains powered, $1500 12 years ago) which was well reviewed in its day, and before the iMod I had (still have) one of Vinnies modded Toshibas.

The iMod stomps on them  :icon_twisted:

Some of the members heard it in Texas when last we visited and I think it was well thought of.

I think (maybe) my (unique :o) RWA 'digital only' modded SB3 with linear power supply and Monica II Dac probably has the legs of it - but only just - and I can plug it in anywhere...

If you have (or can get) the right model of iPod the modification is a steal.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #3 on: 30 Aug 2006, 12:35 am »
Hi Ton1313,

If you like the sound of a good non-oversampling dac, the iMod will really impress you.  It has a slightly warmish ("tube-like" is another adj. that I'd use, but without the noise) sonic signature.  It is not the last word in micro-detail, but it is very musical, balanced sounding, and expect as black of a background as you are going to get when you use it off of the battery power  :wink:   It is far from sounding sterile, analytical, or "edgy." 

As a manufacturer, I don't think it is fair for me to mention dedicated CD players that I heard (a few costing over $2k) that I would toss aside in favor of the iMod.
Hopefully other iMod users will chime in with their experiences.  Thanks, Jampot!

I know AC member Gary sold off his battery-powered Nixon dackit unit in favor of the iMod.  I also prefer the sound of the iMod to my fully modded SB2/SB3. 

Note -- Everything I said above is assuming that you are using WAV or Apple Lossless files (or FLAC files if you use Rockbox software) and with the EQ set to OFF.

Best regards,

Vinnie

PS: There are links on my iMod webpage to lots of happy iMod users on Headfi...
There was also a review on American Wired...before that ended  :(