RC5 Review

Bingenito

RC5 Review
« on: 27 Aug 2006, 04:14 pm »
Selah Audio RC5 Review 8/27/06:

The Selah Audio RC5’s have been in my reference room for over 6 weeks now. To be responsible I have held back from posting anything more then initial impressions. Here is my full review. I expect there will be follow-up questions regarding comparisons, etc.

Associated Gear:
Speakers: Selah Audio RC5
Source: April Music CDT200 (AES/EBU out) & Slim Devices SB3
DAC: Blue Circle BC501
Preamp: Blue Circle BC3000MKII GzPZ power supply- Balanced
Power Amp: Blue Circle BC204- Balanced
PLC: Blue Circle Music Ring MR1200+BC86MKIII (Sources and Pre), BC606 Music Bar for the power amp
Racks, Stands & Cones: Ultrasonic Audio- custom
Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen Satori shotgun bi-wire
Interconnects: Acoustic Zen MC2 (Transport-DAC), Silver Reference II XLR (DAC-Pre), Matrix Ref II XLR (Pre-Power)
Power Cables: Blue Circle BC62 on everything
Power: Dedicated ciruits with 10 awg Romex and Cryo Pass & Seymour 5362A receptacles
Room treatments: 4- 7’x1’ sq. 8lb density rock wool tower traps, 6- 2’x4’x2” rock wool panels, 2- 13” tube traps along side walls
Room Size: 24x14x8

Other Speakers I have owned or own (recently):
Various custom designs- see gallery
Selah Audio Incredarray
Salk HT3
Raw HT3
Selah Audio 35F
Selah Audio Peridot

RC5 Placement: The speakers are 6ft out into the room (measured front wall to speaker baffle). The speakers are 8ft apart and toed in slightly. Listening position 11-12ft from the speaker baffles.

Some recordings used for evaluation:
* Amos Lee- Entire CD
* Ben Harper- Welcome to the Cruel World: Track #2
* Geta/ Gilberto- Track #5
* Godsmack- The Other Side: Track #2
* Jessie Cook- The Ultimate: CD 2 Track #1
* John Mayer- Room for Squares: Tracks 2, 5
* Buddy Guy- Blues Singer: Track #1
* Sonny Rollins- Saxophone Colossus: Entire CD
* Al di Meola- Flesh on Flesh: Tracks 1, 8
* Spyro Gyra- The Deep End: Tracks 3, 8,9,11
* Jimmy Smith- Root Down: Track #1
* Joe Satriani- Strange Beautiful Music: Track #1
* Bozzio Levin Stevens- Black Light Syndrome: Track #3
* Mark Isham- Blue Sun: Track #1
* Paco DeLucia- Live in America: Entire CD
* Patricia Barber- Café Blue Track #11
* Metalicca- S&M- Track #8
* Prodigy- The Fat of the Land: Tracks 1, 8
* Linkin Park- Meteora- Entire CD
* Steely Dan- Show Biz Kids: Pick one!
* Diana Krall: Girl in the Other Room: Track #3
* Tierney Sutton- Dancing in the Dark: Track #1
* Ray Brown, John Clayton and Christian McBride- Super Bass 2: Tracks 4, 11
* SVR- Various
* Herbie Hancock- Head Hunters: Tracks 1, 2
* Copland- Fanfare for the Common Man: Track #1
* Gladiator Soundtrack: Track #3
* Kodo- Ibuki: Track #10
* James Taylor- October Road: Track #1
* Ben Harper- Fight Your Mind: Tracks 5, 13

Listening notes:

Dynamics: Prior to receiving the RC5 I commented to Rick at Selah that I purchased a pair of EV Eliminators for my gym and that they were not audiophile speakers but defined dynamics. The large drivers and raw SPL capabilities were impressive. OK I have to admit I listen to some pretty hardcore music at very high volumes while working out. :rock:

About 3 weeks later my RC5’s arrived. I played some live rock recordings that I listen to in the gym. The RC5 is capable of producing the most impressive dynamic range I have heard to date with a level of refinement that you have to hear to believe. This includes line arrays that I have owned and heard.

Sound Stage and Imaging: The vertical and horizontal dispersion are excellent. As a result the soundstage is very expansive even as you walk around the room.

The RC5 really does a great job presenting a 3D image especially on better recordings. The system sounds more holographic then ever and has really spoiled me.

Treble: Going from ribbon based systems to this premium dome I do not notice any loss in air or transparency at all. The dome is very smooth and natural on or off axis.

Midrange: One of the main objectives for the RC5 was to produce the level of detail that rigid cone drivers are known for but with more body and tonal richness. The implementation of the new Seas Excel Nextel cone drivers exceeded my expectations in this area.

Bass: The dual 10” woofers deliver bass that you feel. At higher volumes you will feel your body and furniture shake as if you were really nervous but it is just the bass in the room. Besides sheer output the bass is extremely articulate. Some say that the Seas Excel W22 8” provides some of the most detailed bass but just not have the low freq. extension for true full range sound. I would agree.

The bass in the RC5 is more articulate then the W22 but with bone crushing deep bass. Rick from Selah has said that 2 woofers reduces in room bass problems. In listening to the RC5 I noticed right away that the placement was not as difficult as with previous speakers causing peaks in bass response at my listening position.

No Excuses:
I was at an audio show in NY last year and one of the sales reps in a demo room was showing a pair of speakers. His comment to the audience was that these are “No excuse speakers”. I thought… What a concept.

Speakers and electronics should produce exactly what is on the recording. In the case of great recordings you have it made. What happens when the recording is not that great but it is one of your favorite tracks? The speaker should not drive you out of the room.

With great recordings the RC5 has raised the bar for overall performance in my room. As an added benefit I can actually listen to some classic rock (Led Zeppelin, Jethro Tull, etc) recordings that I used to have to listen to on another system. Sure they don’t sound great but I like the music and no longer have to make excuses as to why it sounds overly bright or harsh because of compression.

To explore the less than optimal environment a little more I did a good amount of listening with just a Pioneer VSX-1015 and Slim Devices Squeeze Box 3 and then swapped out the Pioneer for a Panasonic XR55.

The purpose of my little experiment was to see how critical electronics were to the overall performance of the RC5. With some speakers I have owned in the past I would not even think of using a receiver because the sound would be too bright and lack the full, rich sound that I like in the midrange.

As you can imagine there is a significant difference between the sonic character of <$500 receivers and the gear that is listed above. The system sounded much better then I would have ever expected. The 3D soundstage and pinpoint imaging were not as good. The overall tonality was tilted up a bit from what I am used to but still very acceptable.

Closing Comments:
Considering the frequency response, dynamics, 3D layered soundstage, etc, these are my favorite speakers to date. Normally when you listen to a system or speaker long enough you can define a few minor things that you would change. In this case I cannot... tried but honestly nothing jumps out at me.

Rick came over for a listen last weekend. I asked him if he would change anything and he said “What could I change?” We both laughed and turned the music back up.

Besides the sound quality the finish is absolutely gorgeous. The veneer and solid wood inlays are mirror imaged. The finish sheer perfection and easily some of the best work I have ever seen on a speaker cabinet or furniture in general.

Biased review because I am a dealer? Hey it is a fair question but anyone who knows me also knows that audio does not pay my bills.

Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks for reading!

Bryan

JoshK

Re: RC5 Review
« Reply #1 on: 27 Aug 2006, 04:38 pm »
Nice review!  I was asked recently what speakers I'd own if I were to buy commercial instead of building my own.  Well these would be on the short list.  Its a very nice complement of drivers.  Those Aura 10"s are drool worthy, especially when you see the impedance graphs (super wideband pistonic range).  And the crescendos are no slouch either.   The woodwork though is the real drool maker.

brj

« Reply #2 on: 27 Aug 2006, 04:45 pm »
Nice review, Bryan!  I appreciate the complete details of your setup, room configuration and audition music!

A couple of questions for you...

1) Any specific comments on how the RC5 differs from some of your previously owned speakers, especially the ones you would have considered statement speakers?

2) How noticeable are the comb filtering effects of the D'Appolito mid-range configuration as you move around the room.  (I assume it isn't an issue at all in the sweet spot.)

3) I'm a bit curious about the specs as they relate to the woofers.  With dual 10" woofers, I would have expected either a greater sensitivity rating for the speakers or a lower F3.  Is there some other effect at work here?

All in all, those are truly beautiful looking speakers - nice looking woodwork and I love the shape.  I hope I get the chance to hear them at some point!

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #3 on: 27 Aug 2006, 04:57 pm »
Nice review Bryan.

Now just ship me a pair already to audition.   :lol:

George

Bingenito

« Reply #4 on: 27 Aug 2006, 05:22 pm »
Josh,

Thanks for the comments. The Aura's are sick I tell ya. You need to use them in your next design :wink:

Take care

Bryan

Bingenito

« Reply #5 on: 27 Aug 2006, 05:32 pm »
1) Any specific comments on how the RC5 differs from some of your previously owned speakers, especially the ones you would have considered statement speakers?

2) How noticeable are the comb filtering effects of the D'Appolito mid-range configuration as you move around the room.  (I assume it isn't an issue at all in the sweet spot.)

3) I'm a bit curious about the specs as they relate to the woofers.  With dual 10" woofers, I would have expected either a greater sensitivity rating for the speakers or a lower F3.  Is there some other effect at work here?

Great questions!

1) Compared to my last 2 speakers (Incredarray and HT3) I would say that the RC5 is more refined, tonally rich, has fuller midrange and images better. No flames... One mans opinion

2) Rick and I both moved around the room checking for just that. It is not an issue in general. Not sure what Rick did in the crossover... I am very sensitive to that and tend to move around when I listen.

3) We modeled about every woofer out there regardless of price because the RC5 was no holds bared design. To get higher sensitivity you get a larger box or higher FS. It is a balancing act. I will say that the specifications are accurate. You can measure a speaker many different ways. This is very true of ported designs. It is possible to fudge specs to make them more attractive both from an SPL and FR perspective but listening to the speaker tell the truth!

So the effect at work is honesty :wink: We will have to speak to the marketing dept about this oversight  :lol:

Take care

Bryan

Bingenito

« Reply #6 on: 27 Aug 2006, 05:37 pm »
Nice review Bryan.

Now just ship me a pair already to audition.   

George

Thanks for the comments George. You did not get your review pair yet? I will have to track that with the freight company and get back with you  :wink:

All kidding aside we will have some cool stuff at RMAF for you and other other guys to checkout. Not the RC5's because they are a little large for the room. If you are in Charlotte please come over for a listen. Sounds like you need to schedule a "business trip" to the southeast  :lol:

JoshK

« Reply #7 on: 27 Aug 2006, 05:50 pm »
I'll add my $.02 to the Q&A...

The MTM comb filtering is typically in the vertical axis, not the horizontal axis, so it is more of a standing vs sitting affect, not a side to side one (atleast when in a vertical line as these are).  That said, one can minimize these affects with center to center spacing minimization and/or lowering the crossover point [it has to do with wavelength @ xo point].  The Crescendo tweeter I believe can be crossed reasonably low and the MTM spacing looks reasonable.

About the F3....well I think Rick implied this design approach in a thread on HTGuide.  I don't want to speak for him but I think his approach is to have a reasonable roll off, so that when in a typical room the room gain doesn't lead to boomy bass and you have a flatter overall response.  This is a good thing.   But as Benginito said, its all about size, F3 & sensitivity...choose any two. 

brj

« Reply #8 on: 27 Aug 2006, 05:54 pm »
Quote from: Bingenito

Great questions!

1) Compared to my last 2 speakers (Incredarray and HT3) I would say that the RC5 is more refined, tonally rich, has fuller midrange and images better. No flames... One mans opinion
No problem - I was taking it as such.  Do you have a sense for how much of the difference may be due to the speaker design itself vs. how much might be due to the (presumably) different dispersion characteristics and thus room interaction induced?

2) Rick and I both moved around the room checking for just that. It is not an issue in general. Not sure what Rick did in the crossover... I am very sensitive to that and tend to move around when I listen.
My limited understanding of the issue led be to believe that the crossover can't directly affect comb filtering - it is purely a by-product of the baffle design coupled with the drivers' dispersion characteristics, and their spacing with respect to each other.  (Josh, thanks for the comments!  I was aware the the filtering is an issue in the vertical plane only.)

3) We modeled about every woofer out there regardless of price because the RC5 was no holds bared design. To get higher sensitivity you get a larger box or higher FS.
I made that comment assuming that the woofers were connected in parallel, thus increasing the sensitivity and decreasing distortion.  That may have been a bad assumption on my part...

It is a balancing act. I will say that the specifications are accurate. You can measure a speaker many different ways. This is very true of ported designs. It is possible to fudge specs to make them more attractive both from an SPL and FR perspective but listening to the speaker tell the truth!
Oh, I wasn't doubting the specs... I was just trying to figure out why they didn't match what I was expecting given what little I know of the RC5 specifically and speaker design in general.

So the effect at work is honesty :wink: We will have to speak to the marketing dept about this oversight  :lol:
Personally, I'd rather talk to designers and owners than marketing departments any day of the week! :wink:

Bingenito

« Reply #9 on: 27 Aug 2006, 06:08 pm »
Brj,

Thanks for the response.

1) The tonal richness, full mids and dispersion I would assume are functions of the driver selection and crossover. The incredarray might be the exception here because it would have benefited from a wider room.

2) When I said crossover I was referring to the crossover point as Josh mentioned. I did not know how much detail to get into on this forum but I think Josh covered it well. Rick can add his comments. I prefer to focus on the overall sound and let the designer discuss speaker design. :D

3) I understand. I think specs that people come to expect are relative. I have seen specs published on speakers with dual Seas Excel W22 8" woofers with 20Hz Freq. ext and 94 db SPL or subwoofers with 10" woofers that are -3db at 9Hz in a 3 cu ft cabinet.

Not sure how this is possible  :o

brj

« Reply #10 on: 27 Aug 2006, 07:35 pm »
Thanks for the feedback, Bryan!

I always let my ears be the final judge, but I like to understand why speakers were designed the way they were and what design decisions contribute to their magic.  The only problem is, the more I learn, the more I discover there is to know! :lol:

(None of which prevents me from just sitting back and enjoying the sound, of course!)

Bingenito

« Reply #11 on: 27 Aug 2006, 07:42 pm »
I always let my ears be the final judge, but I like to understand why speakers were designed the way they were and what design decisions contribute to their magic.  The only problem is, the more I learn, the more I discover there is to know!

(None of which prevents me from just sitting back and enjoying the sound, of course!)

I completely understand where the questions are coming from. I ask the same types of questions myself. Just ask Rick... I am surprised he answers my phone calls  :lol:

Dave G

« Reply #12 on: 27 Aug 2006, 08:23 pm »
Quote from: Bryan
Compared to my last 2 speakers (Incredarray and HT3) I would say that the RC5 is more refined, tonally rich, has fuller midrange and images better.

Bryan,

Which HT3 is this?  I think you said you've owned both the RAW and the Salk HT3s.  Thanks.

Dave

Bingenito

« Reply #13 on: 27 Aug 2006, 09:52 pm »
Which HT3 is this?  I think you said you've owned both the RAW and the Salk HT3s.  Thanks.

Dave,

The question was related to speakers that I owned that I consider Statement products. That being said I was referring to the Salk HT3. You are correct that I have owned both HT3s.

Take care!

Bryan

Dave G

« Reply #14 on: 28 Aug 2006, 01:24 am »
Thanks, Bryan.  I figured you were talking about the Salk HT3s, but I wanted to be sure. 

Dave   

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #15 on: 28 Aug 2006, 02:05 am »

Great questions!

No problem - I was taking it as such.  Do you have a sense for how much of the difference may be due to the speaker design itself vs. how much might be due to the (presumably) different dispersion characteristics and thus room interaction induced?

My limited understanding of the issue led be to believe that the crossover can't directly affect comb filtering - it is purely a by-product of the baffle design coupled with the drivers' dispersion characteristics, and their spacing with respect to each other.  (Josh, thanks for the comments!  I was aware the the filtering is an issue in the vertical plane only.)

3) We modeled about every woofer out there regardless of price because the RC5 was no holds bared design. To get higher sensitivity you get a larger box or higher FS.
I made that comment assuming that the woofers were connected in parallel, thus increasing the sensitivity and decreasing distortion.  That may have been a bad assumption on my part...

It is a balancing act. I will say that the specifications are accurate. You can measure a speaker many different ways. This is very true of ported designs. It is possible to fudge specs to make them more attractive both from an SPL and FR perspective but listening to the speaker tell the truth!
Oh, I wasn't doubting the specs... I was just trying to figure out why they didn't match what I was expecting given what little I know of the RC5 specifically and speaker design in general.

Personally, I'd rather talk to designers and owners than marketing departments any day of the week! :wink:

I took great pains to make sure that the vertical dispersion was very smooth; in fact, there's virtually no tonal change when going from seated to standing listening. Try doing that with any other MTM speaker! As Josh mentioned the driver spacing and low crossover point available with the Crescendo tweeter help make this possible but it's also greatly affected by the crossover design.

With the cabinet volume we had available I feel the Aura woofers give the best bass extension with reasonable sensitivity. We also wanted to keep the system impedance reasonable so that most any amp could drive the RC5. Many manufacturers tend to be a little "optimistic" about bass extension and sensitivity ratings plus some don't even publish any measurements. I've always strived to publish accurate numbers because I believe integrity and honesty are important.

klh

« Reply #16 on: 29 Aug 2006, 01:34 am »
All I can say is I'm jealous. Sometimes life just isn't fair :(.