The Fifth Element - becoming popular?

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
The Fifth Element - becoming popular?
« on: 27 Aug 2006, 02:18 am »
 I have always liked this movie. Even my 8 year old twins have to sit down and watch it every time it's on (I also recently picked up the DVD). Chris Tucker almost has me in tears with his role in this movie. Of course Milla is not too hard to look at :thumb:

Just curious what made this 1997 movie so popular lately. I notice it is also one of the initial films that has been released on Blue-Ray

DTB300

Re: The Fifth Element - becoming popular?
« Reply #1 on: 27 Aug 2006, 02:21 am »
  Just curious what made this 1997 movie so popular lately. I notice it is also one of the initial films that has been released on Blue-Ray
It seems to be a widely used demo CD in HT setups at stores, especially the singing Diva scene.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #2 on: 27 Aug 2006, 02:35 am »
It seems to be a widely used demo CD in HT setups at stores, especially the singing Diva scene.

Interesting. Looks like I will need to buy another copy as I am sure my little ones will have a problem with me leaving our copy (okay....their copy) at my showroom.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #3 on: 27 Aug 2006, 02:43 am »
I was just flipping through teh channels on TV and guess what..... It just started at 10:45 EST on TBS :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: Gotta go. Too bad the kids are asleep :cry:

gitarretyp

« Reply #4 on: 27 Aug 2006, 06:02 am »

Interesting. Looks like I will need to buy another copy as I am sure my little ones will have a problem with me leaving our copy (okay....their copy) at my showroom.

You should get the superbit version for your copy.

Al Garay

« Reply #5 on: 27 Aug 2006, 07:13 am »
BestBuy often has the SuperBit version for less than $10. I use the opening scenes for video tests, thanks to Bubba for his recommendation.  My kids enjoy the movie as well.

bubba966

« Reply #6 on: 27 Aug 2006, 04:37 pm »
Well Bill I was going to tell you to make sure that the copy of that you pick up for store demos be a SuperBit copy, but it looks like I'm not the first to mention this.

There's actually 2 SB copies.

One looks like this

the other looks like this

The SB only copy should be only $10 at BestBuy. The Ultimate Edition is usually $15 at BestBuy as I recall, though that's a version I don't have yet. I currently only have the SB only version, and a Japanese version that's got extras that aren't on the US versions. I've already gotten rid of my LD version, Japanese LD, older US release DVD's... :lol:

Levi

« Reply #7 on: 27 Aug 2006, 05:13 pm »
The 5.1 audio mix is superb.  It is best if you have a properly calibrated 5.1 setup.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #8 on: 27 Aug 2006, 06:54 pm »
The 5.1 audio mix is superb.  It is best if you have a properly calibrated 5.1 setup

I do have one in my home but not at the store yet. My family is sitting down now to watch it. I only have the standard version at this time as my wife picked it up. I will look into the advanced versions for the store demos.

bubba966

« Reply #9 on: 27 Aug 2006, 09:16 pm »
The 5.1 audio mix is superb.  It is best if you have a properly calibrated 5.1 setup

I do have one in my home but not at the store yet. My family is sitting down now to watch it. I only have the standard version at this time as my wife picked it up. I will look into the advanced versions for the store demos.

Bill, not only is the picture better on the SB versions, but the audio is better too. The SB discs have a lower compression rate DD track (it's only 10:1 versus the 12:1 that regularly found on DVD's). They've also got a DTS track on the SB version. But on the SB Fifth Element I like the DD track better than the DTS track.

The LOTR Extended cuts are much the same. They've got the lower compression DD tracks, and DTS tracks. I also prefer the DD track on those discs over the DTS tracks.

ctviggen

« Reply #10 on: 27 Aug 2006, 09:35 pm »
The movie has always been used as a reference DVD, mainly for video.  Personally, I can't stand the movie and Chris Tucker's role makes me cringe, and I think it's gratiously violet for no apparent reason, but I did use it to dial in my TV at one point.  The HD transfer supposedly isn't as good as some expected it to be. 

DD beats DTS?  Hmm...I have my DVD set up to automatically choose DTS.  I wonder if I should change it back?

bubba966

« Reply #11 on: 27 Aug 2006, 09:45 pm »
DD beats DTS?  Hmm...I have my DVD set up to automatically choose DTS.  I wonder if I should change it back?

Only on some discs do I prefer the DD track over the DTS track. Most of the time the DTS track is better.

SET Man

« Reply #12 on: 27 Aug 2006, 10:02 pm »
Hey!

What amazed me about this almost 10 years old movie is how many video formats this movie is on :o Let's see...

1. VHS
2. LD
3. DVD (regular and superbits)
4. Blue Ray

Wait... was this movie released on Beta too? :lol:

DVD is not that old and now is going to be replace by Blue Ray. So, what's next? Okay you HT people get your wallet ready! :wink:

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

John Casler

« Reply #13 on: 27 Aug 2006, 10:11 pm »
I have the "SuperBit" version. 

Might watch it again tonite.

Levi

« Reply #14 on: 28 Aug 2006, 01:50 pm »
DD vs DTS sound quality?  It all depends who is mixing them I guess.

mca

« Reply #15 on: 28 Aug 2006, 04:10 pm »
DVD is not that old and now is going to be replace by Blue Ray

Do you really think that will happen?