Steely Dan - Aja "I Got The News" 2:17-2:20

nathanm

Steely Dan - Aja "I Got The News" 2:17-2:20
« on: 26 Aug 2006, 04:51 am »
I think I did sufficient process of elimination and am pretty sure it's really there, but thought I would get a second opinion.  From 2:17 to 2:20 on the song "I Got The News" there's something going on in the left channel.  What do you hear?  Thanks!

Wardsweb

Re: Steely Dan - Aja "I Got The News" 2:17-2:20
« Reply #1 on: 26 Aug 2006, 01:40 pm »
I thought I knew everything about this album, but I didn't remember anything unusual or different about this song, so I pulled it out and gave a listen. I still don't hear anything.  Then again, are you listening to vinyl or CD? Which copy, pressing, year, company?

This is one of my all time favorite albums. I grew up with it's lyrics and incredible arrangements. It's a recording that I've actually grown more fond of and appreciative as my music knowledge has expanded and grown in depth and understanding.

There are a dozen vinyl pressings of this album, of which, I own 8 copies of 6 different pressings and am always looking for good copies of the others. This can be tough as many are from other countries. The colored vinyl from Canada is more visual than sonic, but I have the yellow and the red. The US pressings are standards in my book. The music at it's best for me is between the MFSL and the Simply Vinyl albums. These are absolutely stellar.

Now for the uninitiated, getting inside the music of AJA:

1) Black Cow

This track features memorable solo performances by the late, great Victor Feldman (fender rhodes) and a young Tom Scott (tenor sax). It’s also worth noting that Tom Scott wrote ALL of the horn arrangements on Aja, the first time his unique phrasing and styling were heard outside of his solo releases. Trivia fact: drummer Paul Humphrey made his mark on the old TV show “Name That Tune”.

2) Aja

The title track is part jazz and part rock structured almost like a three part symphony; musically speaking, it has a head and chorus, but what would be the bridge features some of the most virtuoso free-form Tenor Sax (Wayne Shorter of Weather Report fame) and Drum (all-time great session drummer Steve Gadd) solos ever recorded. In fact, studying the transcribed Steve Gadd drum solo this was one of those performances you “learn” how to play your instrument from. Trivia fact: if you listen carefully, you can hear Timothy B. Schmit’s (of Eagles fame) high backing vocals in support of Donald Fagen.

3) Deacon Blues

This track became an instant classic for both its lyrics and solo tenor sax performance by Pete Christlieb. In fact, you can still find this big band jazz arrangement in the performance books of many high-school and college jazz bands. This was the lone track featuring Walter Becker on bass, quite a departure from the band’s early days where he was the featured bassist. Trivia fact: remember those screaming sax solos you used to hear from the Tonight Show band coming out of commercial breaks? That was none other than Pete Christlieb.

4) Peg

This track was one of the two “hits” (along with Josie) from Aja. It’s been described as one of the most densely layered Top 40 recordings ever, again featuring a famous guitar solo in what is essentially a 13 bar Blues. It also featured a very memorable Michael McDonald falsetto refrain, coinciding with his emergence as a driving force (and Grammy winner) with the Doobie Brothers. Trivia fact: guitar soloist Jay Graydon (another Grammy winner) later went on to write and produce for such notable performers as Al Jarreau, George Benson, and Earth, Wind & Fire.

5) Home At Last

A clever re-telling of Homer’s Odyssey (Fagen was actually an English major in college), this track is best known for Bernard “Pretty” Purdie’s driving beat that became an instant classic among drummers (if you can lay down the Home At Last groove, you can play drums!). Purdie, who also played on Deacon Blues, was nearing the end of a career as a first-call studio musician that began in the 50’s and included some of the most famous R&B hits of the 60’s. It is also the only track on this release to feature solos by both Donald Fagen and Walter Becker. Trivia fact: careful listening will once again reveal Timothy B. Schmit’s perfect backing harmonies.

6) I Got The News

While arguably the weakest track on the release, it never-the-less features a solid groove and steller background vocals by the now instantly recognizable Michael McDonald.

7) Josie

The other big hit off the release, this track is considered by some to be a rock classic. It combines typically cynical lyrics with outstanding guitar solos over yet another unique drum groove provided by Jim Keltner, another first-call session drummer from the 60’s & 70’s (who played with members of Cream and the Beatles to name a few). While the steady Chuck Rainey played bass on nearly every track, Aja features 6 different drummers on 7 tracks, unique even by today’s standards.

nathanm

« Reply #2 on: 26 Aug 2006, 03:07 pm »
Wow!  What a reply!  :)  Although I had most likely heard numerous Steely Dan songs in the grocery store or on the radio over the years, I bought this album because I have a biking video where "Peg" was used and I liked it.  I came to learn later that their recordings were revered by audiophiles.  I have heard people say they despise the band, though.  Probably because of overexposure via Muzak! Heh!

I have a CD version.  It says ©1977 ©1999 MCA Records Inc. on the back.  Looks like this was re-issed in 1999.  Anyway, I'm hearing four distinct instances of crispy distortion at that time. It doesn't seem like digital clipping, it sounds like a scratchy potentiometer but I can't know for sure.  I was just wondering if anyone who has this version can confirm or deny.  Whenever I hear these things I always worry that the equipment is failing.

Papajin

« Reply #3 on: 26 Aug 2006, 06:27 pm »
I thought I knew everything about this album, but I didn't remember anything unusual or different about this song, so I pulled it out and gave a listen. I still don't hear anything.  Then again, are you listening to vinyl or CD? Which copy, pressing, year, company?

Out of curiousity, are there any particular pressings that stand out above the others?  The copy I have was probably purchased sometime in the early 80's.  It has a small grayish-silver circle on the front cover under the words "STEELY DAN" that says, "Super Stars at Super Savings" and "Specially Priced" as well as a 1981 MCA Records, Inc. copyright notice.

Wardsweb

« Reply #4 on: 26 Aug 2006, 07:56 pm »
Out of curiousity, are there any particular pressings that stand out above the others?  The copy I have was probably purchased sometime in the early 80's.  It has a small grayish-silver circle on the front cover under the words "STEELY DAN" that says, "Super Stars at Super Savings" and "Specially Priced" as well as a 1981 MCA Records, Inc. copyright notice.

The MCA were re-releases in the early 80's of some of the 70's albums. On average I find the MFSL to be the best produced, but I have a Simply Vinyl copy that rivals, if not exceeds, even the MFSL.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #5 on: 26 Aug 2006, 08:14 pm »
nathanm,
I have a BMG 1977, 1984 CD and I am hearing the same noise.
Also noticed just a second or two before the noise, the recording stops or goes almost inaudible for a spit second. :scratch:

Lin

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #6 on: 26 Aug 2006, 10:16 pm »
Wow!  What a reply!  :)  Although I had most likely heard numerous Steely Dan songs in the grocery store or on the radio over the years, I bought this album because I have a biking video where "Peg" was used and I liked it.  I came to learn later that their recordings were revered by audiophiles.  I have heard people say they despise the band, though.  Probably because of overexposure via Muzak! Heh!

I have a CD version.  It says ©1977 ©1999 MCA Records Inc. on the back.  Looks like this was re-issed in 1999.  Anyway, I'm hearing four distinct instances of crispy distortion at that time. It doesn't seem like digital clipping, it sounds like a scratchy potentiometer but I can't know for sure.  I was just wondering if anyone who has this version can confirm or deny.  Whenever I hear these things I always worry that the equipment is failing.

It's a glitch in the master tape (dropout) when they transferred it to the CD format.

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #7 on: 30 Aug 2006, 02:25 am »
I have been amazed at how many people hated Steely Dan or certain Steely Dan songs. I rediscovered them in the early 80s but had heard the songs that got airplay. Then I heard Can't Buy a Thrill (1972) and was hooked.

nathanm I too hear these noises at the same times. I seem to have the same CD as you, the bar code on the back is 08811 20652.

I read something about how one of the master tapes was transferred with the left and right channels mixed up. I think it was Gaucho, but not sure. I also think Roger Nichols was the engineer telling about this.

I think there have been some good remasterings since then but I dont know which ones are supposed to be the best.

jqp

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 30 Aug 2006, 02:46 am »
OK here is some definitive information of problems with the Steely Dan master tapes!!!!

http://www.granatino.com/sdresource/18crime.htm

nathanm

« Reply #9 on: 30 Aug 2006, 02:52 am »
There are other brief dropouts elsewhere on the CD I've noticed, but not as much.  The tape emulsion thing makes sense.  The bummer about analog - sounds great but deteriorates when played. 

I have 'Can't Buy A Thrill' on vinyl.  I love "Midnight Cruiser", but only the verses.  The chorus bums me out; too dang cheery...and  they keep selling the chorus for the rest of the tune.  That's a song where I wish I knew more about music because there's some kind of change between the verse and chorus.  Maybe it goes from minor key to major key, I have no idea.  But I wish I knew why I liked one or the other.

Cool...thanks for the link, I will take a look! :)

jqp

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 30 Aug 2006, 02:52 am »
This article is a jaw dropper!

OTL

« Reply #11 on: 30 Aug 2006, 03:26 am »
Thankfully my MoFi doesn't exhibit the above mentioned problems.

FWIW, they wrote, directed, played and produced some of the richest, deepest and most meaningful music when it was needed most.  I trust you all remember the rock and roll void of the late 1970's......Becker, Fagen, Petty, the Police and very few other saved my fuggin' life!

nathanm

« Reply #12 on: 30 Aug 2006, 03:30 am »
Yikes, was Roger Nichols really that ticked off?  Ouch!  This part from the record company made me think: "There have been no consumer complaints about the Steely Dan CDs, he adds." 

I don't doubt it.  How often has anyone actually complained to a record company about the sound of a CD?  Maybe we should.  Like a real letter.  I know there's that blurb on Cds that talks about CD revealing limitations of the source tape and something or other about manufacturing defects, but does anyone ever complain?  Hmmm...  I would love to complain about the compressed-to-the-max new Slayer and Candlemass CDs for instance, but what are they gonna say?  That's how things are done these days, it's a conscious decision.  Different than the Steely Dan thing where they actually used a different tape than the one intended. It seems almost akin to complaining that you didn't like the music which would of course be laughable.  But I think a case could be made for excessive clipping.  Still, only the few tech-savvy users are going to be able to determine such things.  People do complain about music of course, but the band gets all the blame.  Nobody really discsses engineering aspects in the mainstream world.

It is pretty amazing what can be accomplished by one bitchy person sometimes. :lol:

Tabascosauce

« Reply #13 on: 30 Aug 2006, 08:20 am »

I have 'Can't Buy A Thrill' on vinyl.  I love "Midnight Cruiser", but only the verses.  The chorus bums me out; too dang cheery...and  they keep selling the chorus for the rest of the tune.  That's a song where I wish I knew more about music because there's some kind of change between the verse and chorus.  Maybe it goes from minor key to major key, I have no idea.  But I wish I knew why I liked one or the other.

This, along with Kid Charlemagne from the Royal Scam are my favourite Steely Dan songs.

The verses in "Midnight Cruiser" just seem to nail perfectly the experiences you go through in your mid 20's.

BTW, William Gibson paid tribute to this song in one of his novels by naming a Bar "The Gentleman Loser".

Jim N.

• Who you callin' an audiophile?????
« Reply #14 on: 30 Aug 2006, 10:05 am »
FWIW it sounds clean on the "Citizen Steely Dan" box set I have from 1993.

steelyscratch

« Reply #15 on: 22 Mar 2022, 12:10 am »
15 year necro, but thanks for making this thread.  Heard this exact scratch on the Spotify version of this song and thought my IEMs were malfunctioning, good to know it's just the recording.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #16 on: 22 Mar 2022, 02:29 pm »
I have two versions of this album and don't hear the issue stated by the OP. One copy is from the Citizen Dan box set, the other is the version mastered by Steve Hoffman. There's quite a difference in the cymbals during the opening instrumental section. The Citizen Dan version is much more pronounced, while the Hoffman version sounds more relaxed and natural.

MttBsh

« Reply #17 on: 22 Mar 2022, 04:03 pm »
Just a quick note about loving or hating the band. I saw Steely Dan - an unknown band at the time - opening for the James Gang back in 1974 at a concert here in Seattle. I was into hard guitar-oriented rock (James Gang) and although Steely Dan was musical, they didn't do much for me. But I had never seen a band receive so much adoration from the women in the audience, from the minute they started playing. I remember wondering what it was about this band that drew so much female attention, and I figured they would become successful. They most certainly did.

Craig B

« Reply #18 on: 22 Mar 2022, 04:04 pm »
I don't hear anything unusual at that point in the Qobuz hi-res stream. I'll have to try my discs at home.