ISF Calibration

RonB

ISF Calibration
« on: 26 Aug 2006, 12:29 am »
Reading about the impressive results from a professional cal,I'm wondering if anyone would have had just as good an experience w/ a calibration tech in the New England (New Hampshire) area.
I have a 42" Mits HD rear projection unit.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
Re: ISF Calibration
« Reply #1 on: 26 Aug 2006, 05:48 pm »
Yep,,, had my Sony XBR calibrated twice from a tech in the Boston area. Cost me $375 each time to have him drive to Rutland, Vermont and for me,,, it was worth it! :thumb: I contacted Jim Doolittle of Waltham, Ma., he comes highly recommended and has even been featured in Sound & Vision. Whatever you do, find a tech with a color analyzer. You won't have a calibrated gray scale w/o it.  8) I would wait til the set is at least 3 months old so it has had a chance to burn in. I have my set calibrated every 2-3 years.

I would also suggest Ideal- Lume from CinemaQuest for 6500K background lighting for your display device. The gray scale is set at 6500k and having a white light background will accentuate the colors while creating less stress on your eyes.

Good luck! :D

Robin

RonB

« Reply #2 on: 27 Aug 2006, 12:40 am »
Robin-Thank You

RonB

« Reply #3 on: 27 Aug 2006, 12:41 am »
P.S.-Do you have a website or email address for contact info?
Thank You

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #4 on: 27 Aug 2006, 01:37 am »
Jim Doolittle's email was jim@jimdoo.com but that could have changed by now. For all the location info for ISF techs, go to http://www.imagingscience.com/isf-trained.cfm ,then click onto the state of your choice for ISF-qualified techs. But definitely choose ISF-trained Dealers w/calibration equipment and then make sure the Dealer(of choice) has a color analyzer. Dealers with just an Optical Comparator won't be able to an exact gray scale but it would be a close calibration.

For an Ideal-Lume 6500k florescent lighting w/ballast, go to http://www.cinemaquestinc.com/ideal_lume.htm . The prices have gone up considerably since I bought my Ideal-Lume Pro 5 years ago and I do mean considerably, but there's a lot of good info there that explains the facts of life about indoor lighting for optimum TV viewing.

Anything else?  :D

Robin

RonB

« Reply #5 on: 27 Aug 2006, 10:23 am »
Muchas Gracias!

Adz523

« Reply #6 on: 27 Aug 2006, 01:57 pm »
I had the privilege of meeting Jim Doolittle and having him help callibrate my Sim300E projector.  Although I live in NY, he is good friends with the ISF tech in my area (Kevin Miller) and Kevin brought him along to my callibration.  If you go with Jim, you couldn't be in better hands - after I sat through the entire callibration, I considered myself very lucky that day to have Jim's expertise along with Kevin's.

Levi

« Reply #7 on: 27 Aug 2006, 03:45 pm »
I heard about Kevin Miller.  He lives in Queens.  Is Kevin Miller good?

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #8 on: 27 Aug 2006, 07:17 pm »
Kevin's real good. It was Kevin who recommended Jim to me when I first looked into an ISF-calibration. At the time, Kevin was booked solid. By having one of these guys calibrate your display device, you're not only getting a picture tht the broadcasters internded you to see but you're receiving an education too. The first time Jim Doolittle came to my house(which is a 3.5 hr drive), he could only give me enough time to actually do the calibration. Because he couldn't talk me thru what he was actually trying to accomplish, he came back up week later just to do just that. On his time & dime too. Now that's customer service.

One thing to be aware of is that with a calibration, the light output of a display device is usually turned down to levels that most consumers aren't used to watching. Broadcasters didn't intend you to watch TV in a brightly lit room and it's important to have only ambient light in your room. Historically, the manufacturers crank up the light output so the comsumer will buy the brightest picture they can find in a brightly lit showroom floor. Your ISF- Dealer will show you why this isn't a good thing but it took me a couple week to grow accustom to the picture. Guess I like the results tho cuz I dropped another $300 to have Jim recalibrate my Sony XBR 2 years later.  :thumb:

Robin

ctviggen

« Reply #9 on: 27 Aug 2006, 09:39 pm »
If your TV supports saving settings for two different modes, you could have two calibrations performed -- one for high light situations, such as daytime viewing; and another for night time critical viewing.  I like my ISF calibration so much that I purchased my own equipment to perform greyscale.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #10 on: 27 Aug 2006, 11:29 pm »
If your TV supports saving settings for two different modes, you could have two calibrations performed -- one for high light situations, such as daytime viewing; and another for night time critical viewing.  I like my ISF calibration so much that I purchased my own equipment to perform greyscale.

Bob,

How do you like the spide device for doing your own greyscale?  Do you feel you can get close to a professional job?

George

Levi

« Reply #11 on: 28 Aug 2006, 01:34 am »
Hi Bob - Which calibration equipment did you get?  Oh Zybar beat me to it. 

I have an appointment with Chad B. to do the Pro ISF.