2-channel vinyl rig with DIY speakers

Wardsweb

2-channel vinyl rig with DIY speakers
« on: 25 Aug 2006, 02:15 pm »
wardsweb,

tell us about those speakers! 

First off the speakers are made from mdf and baltic birch. They hold an Altec 416-8c, Altec 802-8g on a 511B horn and a JBL 077 tweeter. The crossovers are custom and are built from a merging of schematics for the Altec A7 and JBL 3106 crossovers. I still need to mount the crossover, controls and veneer the cabinets. They will be done in sapele pommele.

The table is a Clearaudio Champion II with a SME 309 arm and Benz Micro Glider cart. The table sits on a DIY isolation sand box filled with 25 pounds of glass beads used for bead blasting.

The amps are Shanling SP-80 and run Electro-Harmonix 6CA7EH in place of the original EL34's.

The CDP is a Shanling T-100 and it sits on top of an Odyssey Tempest preamp now. The picture shows the old pre. You can see the new one in the Odyssey forum http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=30769.0. This all sits on a air bladder isolation platform.

JoshK

Re: 2-channel vinyl rig with DIY speakers
« Reply #1 on: 25 Aug 2006, 02:53 pm »
Nice system, I'd love to hear it.   :thumb:  I am still in brainstorming/conceptualization mode for a pair of hi-eff speakers that I plan to build *some* day.  I just have too many projects in line ahead of it.  :icon_lol:

Wardsweb

« Reply #2 on: 25 Aug 2006, 03:00 pm »
Nice system, I'd love to hear it.   :thumb:  I am still in brainstorming/conceptualization mode for a pair of hi-eff speakers that I plan to build *some* day.  I just have too many projects in line ahead of it.  :icon_lol:
I will die before I finish all my projects I have in the que and in my head.

Scott F.

« Reply #3 on: 25 Aug 2006, 03:27 pm »
Dude!

Very nice  8)

I'm getting ready to house my Altec 511's (802D) and 416-16Z's. Your cabinets turned out really nice and should be even nicer after you veneer them. I like the rounded top and bottom panel, it makes them look less 'boxy'. I was thinking about using the Fostex T-90 tweet. How do you like that small JBL?

Wardsweb

« Reply #4 on: 25 Aug 2006, 03:44 pm »
Dude!

Very nice  8)

I'm getting ready to house my Altec 511's (802D) and 416-16Z's. Your cabinets turned out really nice and should be even nicer after you veneer them. I like the rounded top and bottom panel, it makes them look less 'boxy'. I was thinking about using the Fostex T-90 tweet. How do you like that small JBL?
The front grill will follow the curve of the cabinet and will be done in some NOS JBL blue grill cloth.

As for the 077, it's one of my favorite UHF tweeters. It extends beyond audible without being harsh or fatiguing.

tanchiro58

« Reply #5 on: 25 Aug 2006, 08:26 pm »
Hi Wardsweb,

Do you happen to know how to build the cabinets like yours? Any preferred websites with plans? I have had a pair of DIY speakers which are only two ways, one is a pair of JBL LE5-2 midrange(also using as tweeters) and other is a pair of JBL D131 12 inches. I have a plan to build another pair of cabinets which also include a pair of JBL LE175 horns. Let me know. Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Tan

Wardsweb

« Reply #6 on: 25 Aug 2006, 08:40 pm »
Hi Wardsweb,

Do you happen to know how to build the cabinets like yours? Any preferred websites with plans? I have had a pair of DIY speakers which are only two ways, one is a pair of JBL LE5-2 midrange(also using as tweeters) and other is a pair of JBL D131 12 inches. I have a plan to build another pair of cabinets which also include a pair of JBL LE175 horns. Let me know. Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Tan
These are one off cabinet and I don't think will work for your drivers as such. You would need to really use a JBL 2235H and a much larger horns. Widget built these with a  TAD or Altec horn in mind. They also require access to a CNC machine to cut the internal braces.