do headshells have a sound?

beat

« on: 13 Jun 2003, 07:38 pm »
Hello all,
I'm trying to select a headshell to use on my mid/low mass carbon fiber tonearm but really dont know what to look for.  FWIW, I am considering machining my own from silver plate as I am a jeweler in my sparetime.

Hantra

« Reply #1 on: 13 Jun 2003, 07:58 pm »
Of course headshells have a sound.  It is a very integral part of the pickup system, and each will have different sound characteristics.  If you can make one, and it doesn't take lost of time, try it out, but I wouldn't spend lots of time on it.  There are lots of companies selling them for pretty cheap, and I am sure that most factor sound, and vibration into the design. . .

B

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #2 on: 13 Jun 2003, 08:39 pm »
What about sticking with carbon fiber?? If the arm is that material, why not keep things the same (if possible).  The Wilson-Benesch tonearm is a single piece of carbon fiber from headshell back.

Just my 2 cents, not an expert opinion.
FWIW, the Project tonearm is carbon but they glue on an aluminum headshell.
http://www.norskaudioteknikk.no/pdf/Project-12c.pdf

beat

« Reply #3 on: 14 Jun 2003, 09:14 pm »
I like the idea of keeping it all carbon, but I'm making it from tube stock. so I'll probably just end up making one like the Project. I'll just try to copy that basic design in aluminum and silver. We'll see what kinds of differences there are. Weight/mass is going to be a big factor I suppose.
thanks guys

michael w

« Reply #4 on: 15 Jun 2003, 03:06 am »
If you are making it from stock you can get a much more rigid tube by omitting a detachable headshell or sticking a headshell on the end.

Is it possible to flatten the end of the tubing to form a headshell ?
Like the old titanium Alphason armtubes.

cheerio

beat

« Reply #5 on: 15 Jun 2003, 04:44 pm »
thanks michael,
due to the brittleness of the carbon fiber it is going to have to be attatched. I was not going to have it removable once in place, however. So, I think that will be pretty ridgid if I do it right. Once I get  a prototype going I'll post pics.

hifitommy

universal headshells
« Reply #6 on: 10 Aug 2003, 06:16 pm »
are removable and very convenient for inspecting the stylus and cleaning.  the best of these thats readily availble is the sumiko hs12 that cmes with litz cartrige leads.  

yes, they have a sound, my friend scoffed at that until he tried the hs12.  he also scoffed at cartrige leads having a sound.  again, the hs12 changed his mind.  

i am not so sure silver is a good material for this application.  magnesium seems more well fitted to this function.  

if a fixed shell is your bent, i would still LOOK at the construction of some of the available shells on the market.