How to wire a RCA to XLR interconnect

mfsoa

How to wire a RCA to XLR interconnect
« on: 21 Aug 2006, 03:25 pm »
Dusty,
I don't know if there is a standard way to do this.

If I get a custom pair made for RCA pre-amp to balanced input on the D-200s, what info do I need to tell the cable mfg.

Thanks

RH Customs

Re: How to wire a RCA to XLR interconnect
« Reply #1 on: 21 Aug 2006, 03:54 pm »
It is quite easy for a XLR to Unblanced RCA.

XLR pin 1 to ground of RCA

XLR pin 2 to center of RCA

RH

CIAudio

« Reply #2 on: 21 Aug 2006, 04:33 pm »
I don't know if there is a standard way to do this.

If I get a custom pair made for RCA pre-amp to balanced input on the D-200s, what info do I need to tell the cable mfg.

Tie pins 1 & 3 from the XLR to RCA ground, and pin 2 to the center pin of the RCA.

RH Customs

« Reply #3 on: 21 Aug 2006, 04:50 pm »
Just make sure if you use a two condutor cable with a drain wire that you insulate the drain wire to prevent any kind of short.

RH

CIAudio

« Reply #4 on: 22 Aug 2006, 04:21 am »
Just make sure if you use a two condutor cable with a drain wire that you insulate the drain wire to prevent any kind of short.

If the cable has a drain/shield wire, connect it only to the shell of the XLR connector and open at the RCA end.

mfsoa

« Reply #5 on: 28 Jan 2007, 01:37 pm »
So it looks like I have a few options, using a two conductor cable with shield. RCA will be source, XLR will be D-200s:

- If the cable has a drain/shield wire, connect it only to the shell of the XLR connector and open at the RCA end.
- Tie pins 1 & 3 from the XLR to RCA ground, and pin 2 to the center pin of the RCA.
- XLR pin 1 to ground of RCA; XLR pin 2 to center of RCA.

I thought it was usually recommended to lift the shield at the source, but Dusty, you say to lift at the RCA.

Any reason for this that is specific to the D200s? Also, same question for the "Tie pins 1 and 3..." What'll happen if Pin 3 remains unterminated. What's the benefit?

What I thought I had to do was Pin 2 = center pin of RCA; Pin 1 = RCA ground; connect shield to RCA ground only.

Sorry for the confusion, just trying to understand and see if there are D200-specific issues to consider!

I guess I need to find that Rane.com info.

Thanks for your help

Gordy

« Reply #6 on: 28 Jan 2007, 02:33 pm »

mfsoa

« Reply #7 on: 28 Jan 2007, 02:55 pm »
Thanks for the Rane link.
But Rane has a config different from any of the other suggestions (I think):
GND = Pin 3; Shld = Pin 1; No mention of connection to body of XLR

I guess if I tie the shld and gnd at the RCA, as per DIYCable website, then Pins 1 and 3 will be tied, as Dusty reccommends. DIYCable says to tie shld to Pin 1 and XLR body (and looks like also add additional capacitor too - DIYCable admits that their instructions do not go into depth for this config, so I am only using as an additional reference)

Dusty, I just checked to Neutric RCA-XLR adapter that you provided w/ the amps and indeed the Gnd of the RCA connects to both Pins 1 and 3.

So maybe my main question is, what to do with the shield?  Tie w/ Gnd at RCA only, connect to body of XLR only, use w/ pin 1 only?

Thanks again!

CIAudio

« Reply #8 on: 28 Jan 2007, 04:06 pm »
Dusty, I just checked to Neutric RCA-XLR adapter that you provided w/ the amps and indeed the Gnd of the RCA connects to both Pins 1 and 3.

So maybe my main question is, what to do with the shield?  Tie w/ Gnd at RCA only, connect to body of XLR only, use w/ pin 1 only?

The shield/drain should only be connected to the shell of the XLR...this uses the AC ground as a shield (the XLR body is tied to the 3rd wire ground of the IEC and chassis).

mfsoa

« Reply #9 on: 2 Feb 2007, 01:09 am »
Sorry, but still more (dumb) questions:

The shield/drain should only be connected to the shell of the XLR...this uses the AC ground as a shield (the XLR body is tied to the 3rd wire ground of the IEC and chassis).

I don't see how the shield connects to ground if connected only to the shell of the XLR. I just got my male XLRs today, and the body is not connected to any of the pins. Do you mean that in addition to tying pins 1 and 3 together as you said previously, that I need to tie one of these pins to the shell of the XLR (to extend shielding to the entire XLR body?)? I just don't get what this shell connection gets you.

What happens to pins 1 and 3 inside the D200? If they both go to the same place, why not either run "-" and shield to one pin and jumper to the other pin, or run "-" to pin 3 and shield to pin 1 (per Rane web site)(assuming shield lifted at RCA in each case). I don't see what connecting to the shell does, if the shell itself isn't connected to anything.

Thank you for bearing with me! It's just that I've done a lot of searching on this and everywhere I look I get a different way to connect this thing!

CIAudio

« Reply #10 on: 2 Feb 2007, 01:36 am »
I don't see how the shield connects to ground if connected only to the shell of the XLR. I just got my male XLRs today, and the body is not connected to any of the pins. Do you mean that in addition to tying pins 1 and 3 together as you said previously, that I need to tie one of these pins to the shell of the XLR (to extend shielding to the entire XLR body?)? I just don't get what this shell connection gets you.

What happens to pins 1 and 3 inside the D200? If they both go to the same place, why not either run "-" and shield to one pin and jumper to the other pin, or run "-" to pin 3 and shield to pin 1 (per Rane web site)(assuming shield lifted at RCA in each case). I don't see what connecting to the shell does, if the shell itself isn't connected to anything.

Thank you for bearing with me! It's just that I've done a lot of searching on this and everywhere I look I get a different way to connect this thing!

The shield is only connected to the XLR shell....which is connected to the chassis...which is connected to AC ground. At the RCA end, the shield is not connected to anything.