BI-Wire Or Full Range Speaker cables

Antman27

BI-Wire Or Full Range Speaker cables
« on: 19 Aug 2006, 10:45 am »
Hell all I am looking to try some audioquest speaker cables CV8/Rockefellers or Gibraltar’s
Shoud I look to get Bi-wire or run Full range with the speakers jumpers on my Paradigm 40's driven by a Denon 3805 AVR ?

bgewaudio

Re: BI-Wire Or Full Range Speaker cables
« Reply #1 on: 19 Aug 2006, 11:58 am »
I'm not very familiar with Denon gear, but I would expect that your speakers have a higher power handling than your receiver can output.

The answer to this is as simple as grade 7 science!  If you remember the experiment where you wrap copper wire around a nail, and then connect the other end of the wire to a battery, the end result is a magnetic Field generated to the nail.  Amplifiers and loudspeakers work the same way, the current from the amplifier travels along a wire, and when it gets to the speaker, the current feeds the positive and negative poles of the magnet which determines the direction of the voice coil, which moves the drive unit in and out.

Having said this, and the above statement, you want to get as much current to your speakers as possible, to be able to drive them efficiently, if you go with single wire there will be more wasted power due to resistance, if you opt to bi-wire you will be able to get more power (current) to them, more current=more control=better sound

PS. in a bi-wire configuration you don't have to worry about impedance having 2 sets of wire connected to the amplifier because you aren't driving 2 sets of full range speakers, you are only driving HF and LF portions of one speaker, so no impedance drop because of this.

Happy Listening!

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
Re: BI-Wire Or Full Range Speaker cables
« Reply #2 on: 19 Aug 2006, 12:46 pm »
The major theoretical advantage of bi-wiring is that you move the common ground point of the high and low frequency crossovers from the speaker to the amplifier.  If it is at the loudspeaker (single speaker wire set), the two crossovers could interact in unexpected ways across the impedance (low but not zero) of the speaker wire.  If bi-wiring is used, this possible interaction is eliminated.

Is the difference audible?  Maybe, maybe not. It would depend upon the gauge of the speaker wire (heavier would have less interaction) and more important, if any audible improvements were swamped by other much worst case problems (such as a lousy listening room).

Frank Van Alstine