What is the current state of PC to TV? (RGB out to TV)

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
Are there any reasonably priced solutions that do very good PC out to my Sony TV that has component and DVI interfaces?

For example, If I want to play a video in a media player on my PC but pipe the video to my TV, what do I want to do?

Or if I want to put my spreadsheet on the 40" screen of my TV, what do I want to do?

New video cards have HDMI output so this looks like a hopeful path.

I am not talking about watching a DVD from my PC on my TV screen (I would just use my DVD player), I am talking about the RGB output that normally goes to any PC monitor appearing on my TV screen.

Tr3vWh0r3

Re: What is the current state of PC to TV? (RGB out to TV)
« Reply #1 on: 19 Aug 2006, 12:50 am »
I have an LCD TV with an HDMI input. I have a video card with a DVI output. I bought a cable that is DVI > HDMI. I get a crystal clear picture 1:1. No overscan at all. I am using the 1280x720 output resolution on the video card and the LCD TV picks it up as such. Find the native resolution of your television and send that resolution through a digital HDMI/DVI signal and you should be ok.

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
Re: What is the current state of PC to TV? (RGB out to TV)
« Reply #2 on: 19 Aug 2006, 01:49 am »
That works great if you are using an LCD computer monitor with a built-in TV tuner as a TV! Your LCD TV probably has a max resolution of 1366x768 which is fine for HDTV but actually limiting for the higher end PC video cards.

I have a Sony FD Trinitron WEGA 40XBR800 40" CRT so I need some massaging specifically for an HDTV-ready CRT TV. Since the manual says "the DVI-HDTV input terminal is compliant with the EIA-861 standard and is not intended for use with personal computers" I am not sure exactly what can be done. I seems to do 1080i and 720p.

Without experimenting with a $300 video card such as the newer ATI All-in-Wonder I am not sure what the component video out on the cards can actually do with this type of TV.

I have sent S-Video into the TV from a dell laptop with an NVidia card with mediocre results. Movie clips such as .avi and .mpg are acceptable because they are moving pictures. But definitely not uup to par.

I will have to research it online, but hoping someone has experimented with this setup. I would think that many projectors would have the same issues...