260EX power amp

hertz

260EX power amp
« on: 18 Aug 2006, 11:44 am »
Where does the 260EX stand in comparison to the rest of the products by AVA ? I am on a shoe string budget and was contemplating the Rotel RB1070 or a NAD power amp when a friend of mine introduced me to AVA and Odyssey audio both of which are on this board. I have a pair of quad 22L floorstanding speakers and a Marantz cd 6000ose cd player. The quads are 91db. I have a valve pre-amplifier which uses the sovatek 12AX tubes. Music preferences is primarily classic rock, Jazz and occasional classical.

Wayner

Re: 260EX power amp
« Reply #1 on: 18 Aug 2006, 11:53 am »
I have the 260EX. It has 130 watts per channel. I run a pair of Paradigm 40v.3's which are also 91 db efficient. very liquid sounding, good bass. Perhaps the best amp in it's class of power/price. You will love it.

W

Zheeeem

« Reply #2 on: 18 Aug 2006, 12:06 pm »
I had an omega 260 for about 8-9 years.  Great amp.  Rugged, clean, musical with good solid bass.  It think it will match up well with the Quads.

As for getting AVA in India, I think your best option would be to have Frank ship directly to you.  I lived in France and had some AVA stuff shipped to me there and it worked out OK.  He'll also install the correct 230V transformer.

avahifi

« Reply #3 on: 18 Aug 2006, 12:07 pm »
The OmegaStar 260EX is right in the middle of our solid state amplifier line, a unique design with an active feedback loop which allows exact matching of the input and feedback impedance and eliminates any trace of TIM.  The amp is very stable and very wide band (-3dB at about 500,000 Hz !!) and very fault tolerant.  It is so stable that a DC balance adjustment is unnecessary because the top and bottom halves are matched thermally. It is also very quiet.

Power is about 125 watts per channel, and more into lower impedance loads up to the limits of the speaker fuses.

It will be idling along driving a 91 dB efficient speaker, an easy load for it. It has a 24 KOhm input impedance (pure resistive) and is an easy load for your vacuum tube preamplfier.

The price is $1199 plus $38 shipping in the continental USA.  It has our 30 day satisfaction guarantee and a three year parts and labor warranty.

I think you will find it an excellent choice for your Quad speakers.  Learn more about it at:  http://www.avahifi.com/root/equipment/amplifier/omegastar_amps.htm

Frank Van Alstine

hertz

« Reply #4 on: 19 Aug 2006, 12:20 pm »
Hi Frank,
Thanks for the quick response. I find the 260ex very impressive. I am sure it would be the best option for me with my current budget. I would have loved to hear one before buying it. Being in India, this is difficult. Anyway, I am checking out the customs regulations and issues out here in India. Will get back to you soon.

Regards,
Vinny.