Had anyone tried Audioquest CV-8 and don't like it?

95bcwh

Today I took Gregg Straley's speaker cable to a dealer store compare with a pair of Audioquest CV-8, I have running Gregg's cable through my system for just over 40hrs (less than the 60hrs recommended by Gregg). The system that we use consisted of Cary 303/300 HDCD player, Paradigm Studio v100, and Cary SLI-80 integrated tube amplifier.

The difference in sound between the two cables is NOT subtle, it's MAJOR!

If I'm going to use a frequency response curve to describe the two, they may look like this:

Hence in comparison, the AQ CV-8 sounded more open, spacious, more extended and transparent high and more dynamic/thumping bass.

I saw the smile on the dealer face (idiot!! :lol:), I'm taking Straley cable back and try to break it in for a few more days, then I will borrow the AQ CV-8 back to compare it in my system.

Frihed91

Re: Had anyone tried Audioquest CV-8 and don't like it?
« Reply #1 on: 15 Aug 2006, 09:19 am »
Finding the right cables:  Like running a time trial in NYC without any signs to tell you where you to go (and wrong directions thrown in, too).

Good luck.  No, I haven't tried either of these and my system is much different than yours, and so is my hearing and so are my preferences for sound.  But it's still the same race!

I reached the finish line, finally!  Did I win?  I didn't even ask.  I am happy with the result, but it took 11 years. 

They were suggested by a dealer for the mfr.

When you hear the ones for you, you'll know it. 

Antman27

« Reply #2 on: 15 Aug 2006, 11:23 am »
My Paradigm dealer is pushin audioquest Pikes or slates for 40's
I have tried Kimber 4VS
Better Cables 
I also have on my list to to
Analysis Plus oval 9
Synergistic Research  Alpha Quad
ALPHA CORE GOERTZ MI2 VERACITY
Gregg Straley's
Were the 100's bi-wired ?
Sounds like I need to try the Audioquest CV-8 sounds like what I am looking for to improve the lows (I know the 40's don't go down as low as the 100's)
Let me know how ya make out~

95bcwh

« Reply #3 on: 15 Aug 2006, 01:53 pm »
Were the 100's bi-wired ?

No, it's not bi-wired, but the 100 is bi-wirable.. we connected the cable to the tweeter posts and use a jumper to connect to the woofer

Se7en

« Reply #4 on: 15 Aug 2006, 05:08 pm »
I've been using some AQ CV6 (the CV8 replaces the CV6 but is basically identical I've been told).

I've been comparing them to some Xtreme Cable X5s (which I feel are a better cable) but I could live happily with the AQ for some time.

Here's the best part: I picked up two pairs of the AQ about 45 days ago at a Magnolia (inside a Best Buy)  for 70% off list  :D

I was told that all of the Magnolia stores physically located inside Best Buy were dropping "all" of their high end AQ stuff. Only the freestanding Magnolia stores were keeping the the good stuff. So, I grabbed a couple pairs of King Cobra of XLR and RCA, 2 pairs of CV6 ($170 each/ List $675) and left the stores for under $500!

You might want to check out your local Best Buy Magnolia to see if they have any AQ laying around. Plus you get best buy's 30 day return if you don't like  :thumb:

95bcwh

« Reply #5 on: 15 Aug 2006, 05:18 pm »
Best buy Magnolia?
I don't think I've ever seen them in Houston, Texas :scratch:

I've been using some AQ CV6 (the CV8 replaces the CV6 but is basically identical I've been told).

I've been comparing them to some Xtreme Cable X5s (which I feel are a better cable) but I could live happily with the AQ for some time.

Here's the best part: I picked up two pairs of the AQ about 45 days ago at a Magnolia (inside a Best Buy)  for 70% off list  :D

I was told that all of the Magnolia stores physically located inside Best Buy were dropping "all" of their high end AQ stuff. Only the freestanding Magnolia stores were keeping the the good stuff. So, I grabbed a couple pairs of King Cobra of XLR and RCA, 2 pairs of CV6 ($170 each/ List $675) and left the stores for under $500!

You might want to check out your local Best Buy Magnolia to see if they have any AQ laying around. Plus you get best buy's 30 day return if you don't like  :thumb:

Se7en

« Reply #6 on: 15 Aug 2006, 05:49 pm »
They're pretty massive. I'm cheking right now for locations.

Here's a link

http://www.bestbuy.com/

Se7en

« Reply #7 on: 15 Aug 2006, 05:54 pm »
It looks like there are several in TX, follow the best buy link and look at the store locator. If there is one near by, give them a call. Even if you just want to check out the AQ stuff, they have an awesome no questions asked 30 day return  :thumb:

Se7en

« Reply #9 on: 15 Aug 2006, 06:25 pm »
http://www.surroundsolutions.com/cgi-bin/surroundsolutions.cgi/11489.html?prod=Audioquest%20CV-6

$195.

That's a good cable for the money. Obviously it is being discontinued because of the CV8 but it is basically the same deal I got and I'm  :lol:

95bcwh

« Reply #10 on: 15 Aug 2006, 07:45 pm »
That's a good cable for the money. Obviously it is being discontinued because of the CV8 but it is basically the same deal I got and I'm  :lol:

Dude, how can CV8 be the same as CV6... there has got to be some difference!! :scratch: :lol: :lol:

Se7en

« Reply #11 on: 15 Aug 2006, 07:53 pm »

Dude, how can CV8 be the same as CV6... there has got to be some difference!! :scratch: :lol: :lol:

What I was told is that the CV8 is replacing the CV6 in the AQ line up, the step used to be CV4 to CV6, now it is CV4 to CV8. I've heard that the outside brading is different, but the actual wire used is identical, the grounding box is identical.

Without actually having a pair of CV6s and 8s in hand, I can not speak to any audible differences. In truth, the two cables "could" be night and day. I was only repeating what I had heared from a few sources (especially when I was looking for reviews of the CV6 which was almost impossible to find).

I hope that this clarifies where my initial statement came from.

-Gabe

95bcwh

« Reply #12 on: 15 Aug 2006, 07:57 pm »
Ok.. I called up Audioquest and he said that the CV-6 has 6 conductors, whereas the CV-8 has 8 conductors which are more flexible for bi-wiring. Also I think the CV-6 has 24V applied whereas the CV-8 has 36V. The quality of the copper used in both CV-6 and CV-8 is the same.

95bcwh

« Reply #13 on: 15 Aug 2006, 08:21 pm »
http://www.surroundsolutions.com/cgi-bin/surroundsolutions.cgi/11489.html?prod=Audioquest%20CV-6

$195.

It'st not $195.. when you select 8ft pair the price jump to $400.. hardly any discount at all.

Se7en

« Reply #14 on: 15 Aug 2006, 10:01 pm »

$195.

It'st not $195.. when you select 8ft pair the price jump to $400.. hardly any discount at all.

Thanks for the clarification on the CV8 vs. CV6.

If you like, I can swing by my local Magnolia and see if they can locate some more of the CV6 at or around the price I got mine for (2 pairs, 10' length, $170 each).

95bcwh

« Reply #15 on: 15 Aug 2006, 10:42 pm »
Thanks for the clarification on the CV8 vs. CV6.

If you like, I can swing by my local Magnolia and see if they can locate some more of the CV6 at or around the price I got mine for (2 pairs, 10' length, $170 each).

Se7en, thanks for the offer.. don't want to waste your time on this..I gotta hear them in my system first before I can splash cash on it. :thumb:

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
« Reply #16 on: 15 Aug 2006, 10:48 pm »
how does the audioquest gbc speaker cable sold at www.hcmaudio.com compare to cv-6 and cv-8?

95bcwh

« Reply #17 on: 15 Aug 2006, 11:08 pm »
how does the audioquest gbc speaker cable sold at www.hcmaudio.com compare to cv-6 and cv-8?

If you talked to Audioquest, they would tell you the gbc is no contest to CV-6 or CV-8. :green:

Se7en

« Reply #18 on: 16 Aug 2006, 05:13 am »
95bcwh,

Since you're shopping, you might also check Xtreme cables. They're not exactly cheap but they run alot of factory direct pricing.

I've been using their X5 speaker cables, X3 & X5 power cables for comparitive purpases for a couple of weeks now and have been very impressed. The power cords damn near transformed my Tact 2.2 and Carver ZRs! They are on temporary loan to me along with some Bruce Moore monos  :D

95bcwh

« Reply #19 on: 16 Aug 2006, 05:29 am »
So dollar for dollar, you reckon the extreme cable gives better sound than AQ??? I checked Xtreme website, their cables are pretty expensive, the price for X5 is equivalent to AQ top of the line Earth Feature series..way out of my budget :o

AQ has the so-called "DBS" system, do you know what technology is being used in the xtreme cables to make them sound good??

Damned..I should have just been contented with using zipcord. :scratch: