Does "balanced" sound louder than single ended?

95bcwh

Does "balanced" sound louder than single ended?
« on: 14 Aug 2006, 02:05 am »
All,
  Sorry if this has been discussed before, but being a relatively new to this hobby, this is the first time that I tried a balanced XLR IC, and it's made by Gregg Straley, I am auditioning his speaker cables too. The balanced XLR is between Tact 2.0S and Bryston 4B-SST. I notice that when I swapped out the balanced XLR with a single-ended Zu Gede IC, the loudness decreases by a few dB.

I don't know if it's due to the IC or it's to do with balanced circuit? Anyone has any idea?

Thanks.
   barry

kfr01

Re: Does "balanced" sound louder than single ended?
« Reply #1 on: 14 Aug 2006, 03:34 am »
Not the IC.  :-)

There's nothing inherent in a balanced cable or a single ended cable that gives it more or less gain than the other.  The circuit designs appear to frequently differ in gain, but the particular cable (Gregg whatever, zu whatever) doesn't matter.
« Last Edit: 14 Aug 2006, 02:24 pm by kfr01 »

Bob Reynolds

« Reply #2 on: 14 Aug 2006, 04:11 am »
It is not uncommon (should be expected?) for the output level of a balanced output stage to be 2X the unbalanced output level. Dig through some of JA's measurements in the Stereophile archives. Check the output levels on CD players that have balanced outputs.

bgewaudio

« Reply #3 on: 14 Aug 2006, 10:43 am »
I know that with my Bryston BP26 in unbalanced mode it puts out 15v arcross the load, and 30v across the load in balanced.

So in this particular case yes.  Check the specs on your gear to see what the pre out voltage is in bal vs. single ended.

Brad

« Reply #4 on: 14 Aug 2006, 02:00 pm »
typically the balanced circuit is 3db louder

hmen

« Reply #5 on: 14 Aug 2006, 02:31 pm »
Balanced is definitely louder and cleaner in my system.

brj

« Reply #6 on: 14 Aug 2006, 03:04 pm »
Quote from: 95bcwh
this is the first time that I tried a balanced XLR IC, and it's made by Gregg Straley
If you don't mind a quick side track... what connectors did Gregg use on the balanced ICs?  Every pair of his ICs that I've seen so far has been single ended.

Thanks!