dumb SP2 question

sikoniko

dumb SP2 question
« on: 10 Aug 2006, 04:44 pm »
does the SP2 support bass management on the analog 5.1 inputs? I know I can get to the menu, but wasn't sure if it effected the inputs. That way I could just 0 out the settings in the hddvd player and use the ones in the bryston.

To me, the manual isn't clear on whether it does or not, just that it looks like you can set seperate settings for the digital connections, I believe.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: dumb SP2 question
« Reply #1 on: 10 Aug 2006, 05:00 pm »
HI,

NO - there is no bass management on the 5.1 analog pass-through on the SP2.

In order to provide bass management you would have to convert the analog input signal to Digital - then do the management - then back to analog again. Not a good idea if maintaining signal integrity is the goal.

Most players allow bass management within the players menus.

james

sikoniko

« Reply #2 on: 10 Aug 2006, 09:45 pm »

It has been stated on avs that there is a bug in the test tones of the toshiba hddvd player that make its test tones incorrect to what is actual in playback.

otherwise I would agree James.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #3 on: 10 Aug 2006, 10:14 pm »

It has been stated on avs that there is a bug in the test tones of the toshiba hddvd player that make its test tones incorrect to what is actual in playback.

otherwise I would agree James.

Hi,

Sorry do not understand "otherwise I would agree" comment.

james

sikoniko

« Reply #4 on: 10 Aug 2006, 11:10 pm »
Im sorry, under "normal" circumstances, bass management on the source device is necessary for DVD-A and SACD, and I believe required, but HDDVD/BD brings their own growing pains and in the toshibas case, includes poor calibration setup.

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 11 Aug 2006, 02:54 pm »
Perhaps it will be corrected with the new Toshiba player scheduled to be previewed at CEDIA next month.  Buying 1st generation products is often more expensive and often has growing pains as well.  It would be foolish for any manuf. (Bryston included) to waste R&D for an inadequately designed product from another manuf. that is bound to be replaced long before you could even do the necessary work even if you so desired.