BP-26 -- Early Observations

Bob Reynolds

BP-26 -- Early Observations
« on: 9 Aug 2006, 04:16 am »
I received my BP-26 last Thursday and I was out of town Friday through Sunday, so I have not had much time with it yet. However, I have made some early observations.

1) Like my 7B-SST amps, the BP-26 has excellent build quality.

2) The preamp chassis surprisingly weighs just as much as the power supply chassis, i.e., 19 pounds.

3) The remote control is solid aluminum and fits the hand much better than the Pass Labs X1 remote, though still not as nice a feel as the Audio Research LS-12 remote.

4) Like the LS-12, the BP-26 requires some warm up time. The second playing of a CD sounds much better to me than the first. The X1 is left on all the time, so it does not have this feature.

5) The ergonomics of the BP-26 are much more to my liking than the X1. In many respects the BP-26 reminds me of the LS-12.

6) The only negative comment I have at present is that the BP-26 has way too much gain driving M&K reference monitors in my 17' x 17' x 12' room. The X1 has two selectable gain settings. The lower setting is good for music and the higher setting works well for DVD movies.

The X1 is being kept in tune in a friend's system while the BP-26 loosens up in mine. I intend on trying to make some level matched comparisons between the two units in a couple of weeks. Just based on memory, I'm guessing that once both are at operating temperature they will be difficult to tell apart.

As it stands now, I hope my buddy wants to purchase the X1, because the BP-26 is what I was looking for in a preamp. It'll bring more value to my system once the outboard DAC is available.

James, please tell everyone involved: Job Well Done!  :thumb:

-- Bob
« Last Edit: 9 Aug 2006, 04:32 am by Bob Reynolds »

John Casler

Re: BP-26 -- Early Observations
« Reply #1 on: 9 Aug 2006, 04:53 am »
I have the BP26DA and it is among the top 3 or 4 Preamps I have ever used or heard.

The DAC is easily the equal or better of the Benchmark or Musical Fidelity.

I leave mine on 24/7.

My system is "very" revealing

Source = OLIVE Opus
Pre = BP26DA
AMPs = NuFORCE Ref 9.02
Speakers = VMPS RM30s

Room is well treated and I listen nearfield (6 feet)  in a semi-isolated listening chamber enclosing the sweet spot.

Bass is supplied via 4 LARGER VMPS Subs with the front subs in an ITU stereo set up and the rear pair sitting immediately behind the listening position firing rearward (in phase).

The effect is pretty true to source, and the room (20 x 30 x 9) is pretty much out of the signal.

I have found the BP26 DA to be in the same league as the "new", Stan Warren SUPERPHON Revelation III, but with a different set of sonics.

Both are very special preamps. :green:

bgewaudio

« Reply #2 on: 9 Aug 2006, 10:23 am »
I as well own the BP26DA as my reference 2 ch/pre, before this I played my music through my theater system in which I was using a Harman Kardon AVR 7200 as my pre/pro and rotel RB1095.  I initial thoughts of the BP26DA were very positive, openess, transpanency, loads of inner detail, and ultra quiet background.  The difference between this and my Harman are like night and day, The Harman plays T-ball in comparisson to this big leauge hitter.

I'm very glad I've decieded to build a seperate dedicated 2/ch system, does music much better than my theater.  2 ch consists of for now:

Bryston BP26DA preamp
Rotel RB1090 (380/ch x 2)
B&W 805's
Toshiba dvd- using between theater and 2 ch
Monster HTS2000 line filter

I am eventually going to add a Bryston 4b sst, New Bryston CD trans mech, and probably a Furman IT REF 15 AC line conditioner.

I love this preamp, and I love Bryston, very true to the source and very transparent, which I love.

With these future upgrades, It's only going to get better!

Happy listening! :D

audiokiep

« Reply #3 on: 11 Aug 2006, 02:53 am »
I just got BP-26 and I had some questions regarding burn-in time. How long does it take and what are the changes to look for?
I like its warmth but it is a bit rolled off on top (2 days), I hope it opens up after few weeks. Other than that very pleasant sounding pre.

Btw, I used to own Pass X-1 and although a great preamp which does most of things right I found it a liittle lifeless. It was a used piece with enough hours on it. My guess is Pass compensates with some extra emotion in their amps.

Levi

« Reply #4 on: 11 Aug 2006, 02:57 am »
Congrats on the BP26!  Your BP-26 is already broken-in from the factory like an AMG or Ferrari engine.  All you need to do is enjoy the ride.

I just got BP-26 and I had some questions regarding burn-in time. How long does it take and what are the changes to look for?
I like its warmth but it is a bit rolled off on top (2 days), I hope it opens up after few weeks. Other than that very pleasant sounding pre.

Btw, I used to own Pass X-1 and although a great preamp which does most of things right I found it a liittle lifeless. It was a used piece with enough hours on it. My guess is Pass compensates with some extra emotion in their amps.

bgewaudio

« Reply #5 on: 11 Aug 2006, 10:57 am »
Audiokiep, Levi is right before Bryston components are released for shipping, they go through an extensive 100 hour burn-in period at full output.  This ensures that everything is working optimally.

The way it sounds now is what it's going to sound for the next 20 yrs (hopefully more), unless you change other components, i.e.(speakers, source, etc.)

I would also suggest you leave your BP26 on, it sounds much better when it's warmed up and the circuitry has had a chance to stableize (more open and cohereant), this also applies to you other components as well.

As far as the highs go, I don't find they are rolled off, they are just so smooth and articulate, I love the highs this unit produces, not too harsh, just neutral, they way things should be.

Happy Listening :D

Levi

« Reply #6 on: 11 Aug 2006, 01:18 pm »
Yes.  Correct.  It is like waiting for your interconnects to break-in. :roll:

bgewaudio

« Reply #7 on: 11 Aug 2006, 02:12 pm »
Audiokeip, just for curiosity sake, does your unit employ the on-board DAC?

Bob Reynolds

« Reply #8 on: 11 Aug 2006, 03:23 pm »
Well, it's been almost a week of daily playing two hours each morning before leaving for work. The initial leaness I was hearing after just powering up seems to be gone now. I don't have a rational explanation for this since the unit is well burned in at the factory.

Regarding the comment about the BP-26 being rolled off in the treble... All you have to do is look at the frequency response graph that was sent with the unit to know that is just not possible.

Also, I find the comment about the Pass X1 being "lifeless" quite surprising. That's why subjective reviews are just about useless.

audiokiep

« Reply #9 on: 11 Aug 2006, 04:01 pm »
It is all subjective and relative to exposure to other gear. 95% of reviews are useless unless you own a system identical to reviewer's. Respose curves for solid state gear are meaningless since they are all flat. How do you measure vocal presence for example? Same thing with liveliness. The Pass I had was tried in two systems with the same result - great sonics but no life to it. I bet it measured flat.

Thank you all for your replies. I know that Bryston burns their stuff in but I have owned their amps in a past and they always needed some time to settle. I was hoping that someone would have a bit more experience with the BP-26. I am not a fan of super detail and prefer a well balanced sound but I was hoping for a bit more open presentation.
My unit does not have a dac.

bgewaudio

« Reply #10 on: 11 Aug 2006, 04:29 pm »
You're right, it's all relative to what other components make up the equation, if the answer to this is sonic nirvana, then all the constituence are in order with regards to your preferences.

I have the BP26DA (w/DAC), I have run my Pre with both DAC employed and just as a line stage passthrough and I have found without the DAC employed it's seems to sound brighter, the DAC seems to tame the top end a bit and take on more of a tuby sound, but never sacrificing detail or transparency.

I have a few more numerals to add to this equation, but I have to say it is starting to sound exactly what I've been looking for......This is my nirvana!

andrewdoan1955

« Reply #11 on: 21 May 2007, 06:03 pm »
I have e-mailed back and forth with Bob Reynolds few times. Whike Bob was very happy with the BP26. I told Bob I was envied with him. I love the warmth and big vocals of the BP26 but there is something about the hi-frq that really bothers me. I used the Fourplay track # 8 to compare systems to systems.  While the Krell 400xi, not quite punchy as the Bryston, the 400xi's top end is clearly more airy and details than the BP26. Some of the background keyboard notes and guitars string was more upfront and clearly defined with the 400xi than the BP26. With the Bp26, some of the background keyboard notes and guitar strings sound a bit recessed and that I have to look for and wonder what happens to them. Could be the case of hi-frq roll-off at the top end ! 

Lancelot

« Reply #12 on: 22 May 2007, 03:09 am »
My question centers around the difference ( sound wise) between the BP25 and BP26. I have the 3B SST and had a BP25 ( as well as having had a number of Bryston components).
I found the BP25 transparent, neutral and detailed but slightly on the thin, lean side. Actually the BP25 sounded alot like my older 3B ST. The SST amps are far superior, IMO, in that a certain naturalness and smoothness now accompanies the detail.
So does the BP26 move in the same direction as the SST amps or has it closely reatained the sonics of the BP25 but with a greater number of options etc.Hopefully, at least to me, the BP26 sets a new standard for Bryston preamps.