RM40's...more impressions....Analysis Oval 12 Silver wire...

soundguy3

Well everyone, I just received my replacement RM40's today....this time, in Birch, and the cabinetry is top notch :!:  Many thanks Brian :mrgreen:  :!:  :mrgreen:

Back a few weeks ago, when I was ordering them, I asked Brian if there was anything that would improve the RM40's soundwise, and his suggestion was to wire the bass with Analysis Oval 12 silver wire.  Had that done, along with the TRT caps and the FST tweeter, both of which I had on my previous pair.  

The change in sound is dramatic.  I was so elated, I called Brian right away and asked if this Oval 12  bass wire can effect the mids/treble, and he said yes it can.......... and it sure does!  Not only is the bass tighter, clearer, and very controled, but the mids/trebles are sounding better, more detail in the treble, better soundstage, better overall presentation.  . The mids/trebles are also smoother.....this is great!

Anyone who is thinking about ordering these should go for the extra $$ for this wire.....well worth it....and you know something, these listening observations are after having the other RM40's for almost 3 weeks, then connecting these new ones up today...... and they have not even begun to break in yet. :!:

Can't wait to try John Casler's tweak/tweaks~!

more later,

Soundguy3

Horsehead

« Reply #1 on: 11 Jun 2003, 02:46 am »
Did you have TRT caps on the other pair?  What happened to the first pair?  I'm sure I missed something.

sharper

« Reply #2 on: 11 Jun 2003, 02:55 am »
Agreed. Analysis Plus with VMPS is an excellent match.

A year ago or so I tried AP Oval 9 vs. Cardas Golden Hex vs. a pricey XLO model on RM2s.  I put my comments on HD - the old forum. The dynamics with music and movies with the AP was through the roof. The difference wasn't subtle. My favourite of the three.

Juan R

« Reply #3 on: 11 Jun 2003, 03:16 am »
I am glad that your happy with the birch veneer, How can you get the oval 12 and how much cost?

John Casler

Hi Yo Silver AWAY!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: 11 Jun 2003, 04:19 am »
The silver wiring was a $350 list upgrade. :wink:

I'm not sure if it is user installable, ask BIG B.

soundguy3

more.......
« Reply #5 on: 11 Jun 2003, 04:38 am »
Horsehead....yes, I did have the TRT and the FST on the old pair.....the old pair arrived with some damage/problems with the finish, so Brian took them back :D  and I ordered these...that's what makes this so incredible...... I had been listening to the old ones for over 3 weeks, tweaking, moving, and letting them break in....now, I hook these up, and I am getting superior sound right out of the box, with no fiddling etc.... and no break in :!: amazing :!:  :!:

more to come.......

Soundguy3 :D

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
RM40
« Reply #6 on: 11 Jun 2003, 02:52 pm »
We gave Soundguy's 40's an extra 24 hours on the 20Hz-2500Hz sweep generator which probably made the breakin quicker.  The speakers saw more first octave in that time than they will the rest of their natural lives.  We are doing this for all 40's going out in future.

The Analysis 12 gauge silver wire is $400pr for the 40's since 14 ft is required at $30ft wholesale.

John Casler

Re: RM40
« Reply #7 on: 11 Jun 2003, 03:00 pm »
Quote from: Brian Cheney
The Analysis 12 gauge silver wire is $400pr for the 40's since 14 ft is required at $30ft wholesale.

Oooops :o

I better update my price list (I have been giving it away  :lol: )

Horsehead

« Reply #8 on: 11 Jun 2003, 09:34 pm »
So is it user installable?  I will be doing the FST upgrade and since I will have a lot of things apart........... :?:

soundguy3

Birian would know....
« Reply #9 on: 11 Jun 2003, 09:39 pm »
Not sure......Best thing to do is contact Brian......

Sguy3

ekovalsky

« Reply #10 on: 20 Jun 2003, 03:44 pm »
Oval 12 is copper wire, not silver wire guys... at least according to the A-P website.  Actually it is A-P's bottom of the line speaker cable, other than their theater stuff.

I would like to hear the Solo Crystal 8 on the bass and the Silver Oval on the mid/treble.

soundguy3

Analaysis Plus Oval 12 Silver.........
« Reply #11 on: 21 Jun 2003, 02:45 am »
The wire that Brian used for the bass in my RM40's:

Analaysis Plus Oval 12 Sliver...it is not the copper Oval 12. Perhaps they don't have that on their website.  Brian will know the exact name.  
Brian also uses a proprietary silver/Teflon cable for the mids/trebles made specifically for VMPS.

Soundguy3

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
wire
« Reply #12 on: 21 Jun 2003, 03:17 am »
The wire we used in soundguy's speakers is the best 12 gauge solid silver speaker wire.  Oval 9 is copper I believe.

John Casler

« Reply #13 on: 21 Jun 2003, 04:06 am »
I believe it is the "Silver Oval" (no 12 in the name)

http://www.analysis-plus.com/PDF%20Files/stereotimesilveroval.pdf

ekovalsky

« Reply #14 on: 21 Jun 2003, 08:46 pm »
I bet it is the "Silver Oval" speaker cable.  The retail price is $62.50 per extra foot (for speaker cable pair) so cost of wire is $31.25 per lineal foot which is about what Big B says it cost.

I'd like to hear the combination of "Silver Oval" on the mids and tweeters and "Solo Crystal Oval 8" on the woofers.  It is 8 gauge single crystal copper, similar to my Acoustic Zen Satori speaker cables and some of the Harmonic Tech cables which I have found to really excel in the bass.  It costs more than the silver wire, about $50 per lineal foot.  

May have to request this on my next speakers.  I can biamp using the Silver Oval speaker cables on the mid/tweeter and Solo Crystal Oval 8 on the bass.    8)