Mensa DIO - Accuphase DP-65 comparison

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Mensa DIO - Accuphase DP-65 comparison
« on: 10 Jun 2003, 07:40 pm »
Just wanted to post a small writeup regarding the bit of comparison I had a chance to do this past weekend at a local Denverite's (Gary) home.  He has a pretty sweet setup in his basement, a dedicated listening room.  His equipment consisted of an Accuphase DP-65 CD player directly driving a Spectron Musician amplifier, which in turn drove a pair of exceedingly nice Selah Audio Excelarray speakers (which are super-transparent.  Very nice speakers!)

So, I had brought over my trusty Mensa DAC with the upgraded power supply from Bolder Cables.  I also brought over my AVA T7 Preamp, which was lucky because Gary has no preamp.  In goes the preamp, and we hook both the DP-65 and the Mensa (being fed the digital output from the DP-65) up to 2 seperate inputs on the T7.  The first thing we listened to was Diana Krall's rendition of "My Love".  Nice track w/some serious ambiance, very simple, unadorned instruments and vocals.  Great test track.  

Switching back and forth between the 2 in realtime, it was difficult at first to discern the differences, overall the 2 were very similar in transparency, detail, attack, decay, and instrument deliniation.  Gary and I were both shocked that this little $600 DAC could even keep up w/the Accuphase in ANY area, let alone sound almost identical in many areas.  I don't think either of us really believed what we heard those first few switches.  After switching back and forth and trying a Patricia Barber track as well, we came to the conclusion that the Mensa was actually a bit more full bodied and also a bit more dynamic that the DP-65!!  Interestinly enough, it didn't seem to lose any detail, and for the spatial presentation, the Mensa seemed to have a deeper soundstage to boot.

And that's pretty much it, a very suprising finding during a very pleasant listening session.  Hopefully Gary will be along to add some thoughts.  

One other note, regarding cost, the Accuphase lists for roughly 10x the price of the DIO, but I do have to say the Mensa is nowhere near as attractive looking, and the Mensa does not have balanced outputs like the DP-65.

dave'straya

Bolder Dios vs Hi end dacs
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jun 2003, 03:27 am »
Thats Interesting Tyson, Last year, after being surprised how well  a stock/sans tube Dio was performing in  my bedroom/ second system i bought a Smart Dio  and  the power supply  , After 2 months burn in  It turned out that it sounded better  than the  Enlightened Audio Dsp9000 mk3 Dac  in my No1 system!! :o  :? ,this was a 2 box 20kgs 'S'Phile Class A'  fully balanced  (4xBurrBrown pcm63k's) dac that cost US$6k in '99 !!  It was gold plated too   :wink:  But it  just wasnt as good  so I  later sold the Dsp9000 on Audiogon  and bought more Cds  8)   I recently upgraded to the Mensa+  and it has taken the  No.1 system here to a higher level  again.
 I do miss the fancy looks of the EnlightenedAudio dac  a little :(  but its forgoton once the music is on thats fer sure :)