Power Conditioning for a 2-ch system

Carlman

Power Conditioning for a 2-ch system
« on: 5 Aug 2006, 01:51 pm »
I am considering a BPT 2.5 for my system, which (will) consist of:
TacT preamp
McIntosh MC402 (400wpc 2/ch)
Audio PC (400w power supply)

I've read 'rave reviews' about Exact Power's EP15a and Blue Circle's Music Ring but it seems the 'standard' is BPT.  I was pretty satisfied with my UPS but it hums (fairly low-level) but it hums in a way that disrupts my enjoyment in a small room.

From a utility standpoint, I'd like to have something that protects against major fluctuations in power and some surge/lightning protection.  The BPT has an option to add the latter.

I use a dedicated line to that room and my power isn't terribly dirty... but I can hear improvements/changes with conditioners and power cords.  If the 'Cyberpower 1500' didn't hum, it'd be adequate for me.

I'd like a simple, functional box and I think the BPT is the one but wanted to gather opinions to alternatives....

Thanks,
Carl

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: Power Conditioning for a 2-ch system
« Reply #1 on: 5 Aug 2006, 02:00 pm »
Carl,

Myself and a few others went from a BPT 3.5 Sig to Running Springs Audio (Haley).

I ultimately thought the BPT restricted dynamics and put a veil over everything.

On the flip side, I did think the BPT 3.5 Sig was noticeably better than the ExcatPower and Monster units I had previously tried.

YMMV.

George

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #2 on: 5 Aug 2006, 02:45 pm »
Isn't it strange how you just can't draw a correlation from other people's experience?  Of the ones I tried, I like Audiophile APS1050, EA15A then Haley in that order.  Others had preferred Haley over EA15A in the same room. So, go figure.  I liked Felicia on sources in my room very much as well.  That would indicate that BPT would be good in my room as well, but I never tried it because I had heard that it could choke my big tube amps.  Ultimately, APS unit so far is the only one I tried that does not constrict my amps.  I would recommend it except for a little hum that I can hear from 8 ft away when I am not playing anyting. This doesn't bother me as I don't hear it when I am playing something but I think I am in a slightly bigger room than you.  On the conditioning front, it's the best I tried.  I also like the UPS feature.
« Last Edit: 5 Aug 2006, 04:22 pm by woodsyi »

John Casler

« Reply #3 on: 5 Aug 2006, 04:19 pm »
Isn't strange how you just can't draw a correlation from other people's experience?  Of the ones I tried, I like Audiophile APS1050, EA15A then Haley in that order.  Others had preferred Haley over EA15A in the same room. So, go figure.  I liked Felicia on sources in my room very much as well.  That would indicate that BPT would be good in my room as well, but I never tried it because I had heard that it could choke my big tube amps.  Ultimately, APS unit so far is the only one I tried that does not constrict my amps.  I would recommend it except for a little hum that I can hear from 8 ft away when I am not playing anyting. This doesn't bother me as I don't hear it when I am playing anything but I think I am in a slightly bigger room than you.  On the conditioning front, it's the best I tried.  I also like the UPS feature.

I think what you're observing is that the different types of power conditioning, will work for you based on your needs.

It would seem that the four types are:

1) Regulation
2) Balancing
3) Filtration
4) Magic

I think each of those and or combinations can offer improvements (or detractions) depending on how clean, stable, and needy your power is.

Carlman

« Reply #4 on: 5 Aug 2006, 10:34 pm »
Myself and a few others went from a BPT 3.5 Sig to Running Springs Audio (Haley).
George

Thanks, George... I totally forgot about RSA.  That's exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for... Is it 'Occam approved'? ;)

-C

Levi

« Reply #5 on: 6 Aug 2006, 01:04 am »
We did a side-by-side comparo with BPT, Audience and Felicia (Occam).  June Summer Rave BBQ The Audience Adept sounds pretty good but expensive. 

Occam

« Reply #6 on: 6 Aug 2006, 02:56 am »
Levi,

I'll give the typical vendor type response..... that was last years model.
The whole point to taking a diy project to a Rave is the opportunity to compare that project to more bespoke commercial projects. That shootout prompted some serious modifications and upgrades, and the present Felicia (reflected in the Felicia thread) is substantially improved over what you heard at that Rave.

Similarly, while the modded Zhaolu DAC at last months rave aquitted itself quite well, the comparisons prompted Larry to make some serious improvements, as you'll see at this month's rave at Phil's.

The Audience Adept sounds pretty good but expensive.
IMO, the Audience Adept sounds damn good. Additionally, it provides isolation between all components connected to it.

Levi

« Reply #7 on: 6 Aug 2006, 03:58 am »
How time passed us by.  That was last year June 2005. 

Can you bring the revised Felicia in August Rave?

Gordy

« Reply #8 on: 6 Aug 2006, 04:13 am »
Chris will be bringing his two updated(?) Felicia's (they have the Y caps) to Phil's so I can add some shielding between 'n around the transformers... will that do the trick?

:oops: Sorry, forgot what thread I was on...