Response Audio and Bolder Cable at RMAF

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
Response Audio and Bolder Cable at RMAF
« on: 4 Aug 2006, 05:13 pm »
 Response Audio has been communicating with another party here at Audio Circle about having one of our custom modified amplifiers at this years RMAF. The amplifiers are a pair of ASL 108 mono blocs. These are what turned into the current Monsoon mono blocs. My research tells me these were from the era of ASUSA. I chose these amplifiers due to the fact that they used some nice components back then in regard to resistors and power supply filter capacitors.

The amplifiers will be custom modified and customized to show the potential of some of the older ASL products. They will not receive the exact modifications as seen with our other EXtreme Monsoons and Hurricanes rather customized exclusively for the RMAF application. Much of the original components will remain. Full details will be disclosed when the amps are finished or maybe not till after the show :scratch: We'll see.
 After the show, the amps will go up for auction.

I cannot mention the other party involved but if he reads this, he is more than welcome to chime in :wink:

« Last Edit: 12 Sep 2006, 01:51 am by Response Audio »

Wayne1

Re: Response Audio and RMAF
« Reply #1 on: 8 Aug 2006, 04:12 pm »
BOLDER Cable WILL be using a pair of Bill's custom amps at RMAF.

They will be driven by a highly modded SqueezeBox 2 direct.

The speakers used will be the latest VMPS RM-30Ms with CDWG.

I think this simple system will produce some VERY good sound. Look for it in room 1009

95bcwh

« Reply #2 on: 8 Aug 2006, 04:26 pm »

I think this simple system will produce some VERY good sound. Look for it in room 1009

Nice :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

I'm really missing the sound of your modded SB2 + Ultimate PS... it brings more live to the music than what I can do with my Tact DAC/preamp.

I'm sure this setup I'm going to hear at RMAF will be awesome!!

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #3 on: 8 Aug 2006, 04:34 pm »
Barry,

The combination of an Aberdeen modified TacT + a Bolder Cable modified SB2 + Ultimate II PS is AWESOME!!

Once you get that and pair it with the Salk HT3's watch out!

George

95bcwh

« Reply #4 on: 8 Aug 2006, 04:39 pm »
Barry,

The combination of an Aberdeen modified TacT + a Bolder Cable modified SB2 + Ultimate II PS is AWESOME!!

Once you get that and pair it with the Salk HT3's watch out!

George

Yes yes.... first I need to find an amp to replace my Bryston.. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hopefully I can find something I like at the RMAF..:)

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #5 on: 8 Aug 2006, 05:12 pm »

I know Bill's custom amps will be very good with VMPS ribbons. :D I wish I could hear that set up but I just can't get away at that time.  :cry:   

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #6 on: 8 Aug 2006, 05:53 pm »
COPIED FROM THE BOLDER CABLE FORUM

Thanks everyone for the comments. Without giving away too much, here is a bit of information about the amps that are being custom built for Wayne.

The 108 Mono blocs are 100 watt units running 6550/KT88 tubes originally sold under the Antique Sound USA aka: ASUSA name badge. Later in life they became the ASL Monsoon amplifiers.

By request, the amps will use SoniCap Platinum coupling and PS bypass capacitors. This works out nicely as the V-Cap Tefon will not fit in the location. No problems here as the Platinum are another fine capacitor.
 Bybee Purifiers will be used at the B+ voltage as well as signal input.
 Output tubes will probably be EH KT88's.

That's enough for now. I may post full details prior to the show or better yet, leave it up to Wayne.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #7 on: 18 Aug 2006, 07:16 pm »
Yes yes.... first I need to find an amp to replace my Bryston..   

Hopefully I can find something I like at the RMAF..

Maybe you will be able to find/hear something at RMAF :thumb: How about a pair of Bella EXtreme 100 mono blocs? (aka. EXtreme Monsoons) You will also be able to audition these at the show as well. You can also make an offer on the 108 mono blocs mentioned above if these interest you.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
Re: Response Audio and Bolder Cable at RMAF
« Reply #8 on: 12 Sep 2006, 02:02 am »
There has been a change of plans in the amplification we will be building for Wayne and the RMAF show. Due to some problems with the older ASUSA 108 amplifiers, I will not be able to complete them and have them properly burned in by show time.

A new amp in underway. Response Audio is building a new Platinum 3205 power amp. This is basically the same as our Reference 3205 except I will be using all SoniCap Platinum capacitors for both coupling and power supply bypassing. Output tubes will most likely be EH KT88s.

This unit will be built as a dedicated power amp and have a few extra goodies installed. A satin black solid aluminum face plate will be used with the power switch located on the side of the chassis. Bybee Quantum Purifiers will be used at the signal input stage and Eichmann Cable Pod speaker binding post will be used. There are also a few other things that I am not mentioning at this time.

If Wayne is not interesting in keeping the amp, I will sell it after the show, or before depending on the chain of events, giving Circle members first dibs. Don't worry, it will be a special show piece price. I'll post pictures by the end of the week.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #9 on: 12 Sep 2006, 02:16 am »
Sorry to hear this news Bill.

I was really looking forward to hearing the amps.

Maybe another time and place...

George

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #10 on: 12 Sep 2006, 02:49 am »
Sorry to hear this news Bill.

I was really looking forward to hearing the amps.

Maybe another time and place...

Actually, same time same place. We will have a pair of the Bella EXtreme 100 amplifiers debuting in another room at the show.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #11 on: 13 Sep 2006, 11:07 pm »
Shown below is the first of our Bella EXtreme 3205 amplifiers that will debut in the Bolder Cable room at RMAF 2006. This is a custom power amp able to run EL34, 6550 or KT88 output tubes. The amp provides 50 watts per channel using EL34 tubes and 60 watts with 6550/KT88 tubes. The show amp (shown below) will be utilizing Electro Harmonix KT88 tubes. The key features of this custom built unit are SoniCap Platinum Teflon capacitors both in the coupling positions as well as power supply bypass. There is also a pair of Bybee Purifiers in the input signal path! Full details on production units will be appearing soon. Stop in room 1009 at RMAF 2006 and be the first to hear this new release!!

Please note that the pictures were taken prior to the face plate markings (logo) and blue power LED being applied.

Retail price on this product will be $1590.

tdangelo

« Reply #12 on: 14 Sep 2006, 12:05 am »
This is the first room I'm gonna find for sure!   :D