Steve Hoffman for Tone - Likes the ModWright Sony 9100ES Sig. Truth

modwright

Famed Mastering engineer Steve Hoffman writing for Tone:

"The sound is realistic, immediate and wonderfully full and rich at the same time.  You can reach out and touch Billie Holiday or Bill Evans; that's the sound I like!"  The "breath of life" comes out of this machine and one is never prepared for the wonder of resurrecting the dead like this.  It's spooky, exciting and moving; it begs you to listen and listen."

(Tone Audio Issue 5, August '06 - http://www.tonepublications.com)

Close up of exposed tubes and 'Truth' finish plate

The Signature Truth Modification for the Sony 9100ES is our latest reference digital offering.  I believe that the Sony 9100ES is a definite step up from its predecessor, the 999ES, in terms of build quality, power supply design and digital chipset. Details of the mod are listed on our website.

ModWright Sony 9100ES Player

The Sony 9100ES Truth modification borrows technology from the SWL 9.0SE, including the PS 9.0 power supply and high-bandwidth, low distortion, low noise tube circuit that makes the 9.0SE such a neutral sounding preamp.

Black and Silver versions of PS 9.0 outboard power supply.

If you are in the market for a great CD player - that also plays SACD's, 2CH and MCH and is a great HT DVD player also - then check out the ModWright Sony 9100ES.

The price for the Signature Truth modification for the Sony 9100ES (as reviewed by Steve Hoffman for Tone) = $2500 (mod only).

Thanks,

Dan Wright

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Dan,
Congrats on another great review.  Steve is quite the stickler for sound, of course, and doesn't throw around plaudits.  This needs to be posted on his forum, too, as many folks there are loyal and unwaivering followers of all that is Steve (which in many cases, like here, is a good thing).   :D

modwright

Thanks Ted, I appreciate the support.  I am very pleased with this review of course and will see if Steve will post on his forum.

Take care,

Dan

Vicks7

I have a 9100 Platinum mod on order and cannot wait to receive it. Out of interest, I wondered if any members had experimented with DACS on any of the Modwright players.
Kind regards
James

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
A DAC would take the marvelous tube section right out of the signal path.  Don't have the player modded if you are going the DAC route.   :nono:

modwright

Agreed, I have yet to find an outboard DAC that betters the modified Sony 9100ES.  The DACs inside the Sony are quite good and Ted is right, bypassing the analog stage will simply steal the 'magic' :).

Thanks,

Dan

Vicks7

I received my Modwright Sony 9100ES (Platinum Mod) over the weekend and, on an initial listen over the entire day on Sunday, I am very, very impressed. The Sony replaces an Eastsound E-5 and is being used with Audiopax Model 88, Melody SHW 1688 II and Merlin TSM MX speakers, Audience speaker cable and custom interconnects. I agree with a lot of what Hoffman has said in his review - the realism of the player is fantastic - sharp, detailed - I am hearing things on my CDs that I have never heard before. I am still deciding on the best power cables to use - I understand the Modwright needs careful partnering with power chords to hear it at its best and no doubt it will also improve once the player is burnt in after around 100 hours or so I guess. I am very pleased to have gone with this option and I think I now have a reference player to match my other equipment. A big thank you to Dan for a wonderful product and wonderful customer service.
On a related point, does anyone have recommendations for interconnects or power cables to use with the Modwright - also has anyone experimented with various NOS tubes?
Cheers
James

Normanality

I've got a 9100ES (platinum mod) on order with Dan and can't wait for its' arrival!
I sold my Modwright 999ES to my good friend and am now using a Quad cdp 99/2 temporarily.
What a difference!  My magic disappeared and the Quad is a very good ss cd player.

As far as different tubes, my favorite so far in the 999ES was the Bendix (MU) 6900.
It may be a step closer to solid state than the 5687, but it has superb detail.
My SWL 9.0SE and TAD 60 tube amps take care of the rest.

modwright

Well, those waiting for their ModWright 9100ES units will be happy very soon.  We just received a shipment of units and while most are already spoken for, we have a couple left.  The units are now only available in black now from Sony, no longer Silver...can't say why...talk to Sony I guess ;).

We will be showing in CO at the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest with ModWright 9100ES units in several rooms.

As more people hear this unit, the word is starting to get out.  Those who have heard and enjoyed our previous mods for the SCD-1, SCD-777ES, XA-777ES, DVPS-9000ES and 999ES know the ModWright sound, but they haven't heard the 9100ES!

The new Sony is a significant improvement over previous Sony models and our mods represent all that we have learned from the design of our SWL 9.0SE linestage.  It is truly our REFERENCE digital offering.

If you are interested, please contact us right away.  We have a couple of units left and these will be ready to ship in the next week.

Price = $3500, including shipping.

Thanks,

Dan W.

Normanality

That's great news!  Made my day!  I've been going thru Modwright withdrawals (if there is such a term) these last few weeks. .  If there isn't there should be!  :lol: