New to N. TX group

S Clark

New to N. TX group
« on: 4 Aug 2006, 04:18 am »
Can anyone tell me if there are members in or near Abilene?
Scott C

brj

Re: New to N. TX group
« Reply #1 on: 4 Aug 2006, 05:55 am »
Welcome to AC and the North Texas circle, Scott!

I'm not currently aware of anyone living in Abilene or straight West of the Metroplex.  We have a few guys split (mostly) between the North and South sides of Fort Worth, and Danny Richie of GR Research is located out in Iowa Park, TX, along with a few others.  There may be other audiophiles closer to you, but I don't recall seeing any others on Audiocircle just yet.

Is there any chance you visit the Metroplex on occasion?  We haven't had a big jam in a few months now, although there have been several "micro" jams that have popped up as people get a new piece of gear in that others may want to hear.  Art and Oscar have talked about hosting a larger jam in the not too distant future, although most of the guys are generally willing to host individuals on an impromptu basis if a visitor is interested in something in particular.

Hopefully you'll be able to join us as opportunity allows!

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
« Reply #2 on: 4 Aug 2006, 03:20 pm »
welcome scott, tell us a little about your system and musical tastes.

marvin

S Clark

« Reply #3 on: 5 Aug 2006, 03:13 am »
My listening favorites tend toward folk and classical- although the latest has been an old vinyl of The Ballade of Calico from the early 70's by Kenny Rogers and the First Edition. Just found a copy and re experiencing it after probably 20 years.
equipment--- Eico ST70, Knight KB-85, GR Research AV-3 speakers, a modified set of AV-1's, Marantz CD5400.  Hopefully a Dodd battery preamp in the next few weeks!!!!

oscar

« Reply #4 on: 15 Aug 2006, 12:12 am »
Welcome Scott,

Abilene looks to be 2 1/2 hours or so away from Fort Worth so it would be a bit of trip. I too have been anxiously awaiting Dodd's new preamp because this represents my first "immersion" into Tubed gear.  Soon after I get this piece, I'm going to work on a vinyl vs SACD shootout to evaluate the merits of playing with vinyl (too much TLC involved with vinyl for my current situation but we shall see).  My collection is mostly Jazz/Classical/Geezer rock on SACD.

At one time, someone wanted to setup a shoot-out between a Allen Wright modded VSE level 5+ 777ES SACD player vs. Meitner CD/SACD 2-channel digital rig but there didn't seem much interest.  I hosted a jam back in February and I'm waiting for other folks to host one (I missed the last one on Mother's day).

Oscar

My listening favorites tend toward folk and classical- although the latest has been an old vinyl of The Ballade of Calico from the early 70's by Kenny Rogers and the First Edition. Just found a copy and re experiencing it after probably 20 years.
equipment--- Eico ST70, Knight KB-85, GR Research AV-3 speakers, a modified set of AV-1's, Marantz CD5400.  Hopefully a Dodd battery preamp in the next few weeks!!!!