Squeezebox 2 Mods

creilly333

Squeezebox 2 Mods
« on: 2 Aug 2006, 05:48 am »
Wayne,

I have an SB2 that I would like to mod.  I currently use the digital outputs to a Benchmark DAC1, so these outputs are the only ones I will be using.  Can you give me your thoughts on the best mods available currently available from your company, given that I will be using just the digital outs ?  I would like to start with the power supply as a first step.  Thanks.

Colin

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: Squeezebox 2 Mods
« Reply #1 on: 2 Aug 2006, 11:48 am »
Colin,

This is a simple one.

For the best sound possible form your SB2, get the Ultimate II PS and the digital mods to your SB2.  While not inexpensive (this will run around $1000-1500 depending on options), this will give you a digital front end that can't be matched at multiples of that investment.  As such, I think the Bolder package is an excellent value!  Throw in Wayne's fantastic customer service and you will be all set.

Ping me if you want more details from an EXTREMELY happy Bolder customer. 

George

Wayne1

« Reply #2 on: 2 Aug 2006, 03:27 pm »
Hello Colin,

As George say, the digital only mods to the SB2 would be the way to ge. The Ultimate Power Supply MKII would be the best PS I could suggest. A version of it was recently compared to a few other power supplies and CD players by Barry in Houston and PeteG here.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=29520.0

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=29970.0

For the SB2 I can remove all of the analog parts, headphone amp, output op-amps, etc, for a bit cleaner result through the digital out. A Silver Bybee Purifier in the digital output also makes a nice improvement.

Turk

« Reply #3 on: 2 Aug 2006, 06:03 pm »
Colin,

I was one of the first to purchase Wayne's modded SB2 and Ultimate power supply.  For the price, it is a steal and for the sound it is hard to beat regardless of price.  George is right on.

creilly333

« Reply #4 on: 3 Aug 2006, 12:13 am »
Thanks guys.  I have talked to Wayne via PM and I am going to go ahead and have him mod my SB2 soon.  I am looking forward to it.

Colin

creilly333

« Reply #5 on: 3 Aug 2006, 12:34 am »
I've been thinking....do the analog mods result in a better sound than the digital mods ?  Wayne, I was reading that in your opinion you have not heard an external DAC which rivals a properly modded SB2.  I assume that the only difference separating the analog and digital mods is the performance of the DAC's.

I have a 2 channel system with Naim pre and power amps into Quad ESL57's.  I play vinyl using my Linn LP12.  Would you advise going the analog route in my case or the digital only route ?  I currently use a Benchmark DAC1.  Basically what I am aiming for is the best sound possible from the SB2.  The interface with the Naim power amps is the problem though, if I was to use the analog outs straight to the power amp.

Colin

Wayne1

« Reply #6 on: 3 Aug 2006, 12:42 am »
The best sound I have heard is the analog outputs of a modded SB direct into a power amp with no preamp, DAC or anything else in the way of the signal.

If you put anything else in the signal path, it WILL change the sound.

Now what sounds best and what is practical can be two different things. If you want to run two sources into an amp, then you need at least a switch. If you want to use a TT, then you will need the preamp for the phono, volume control and then a switch. The signal path gets longer and more circuitry gets involved.

My thoughts would be to get the Full mod done to your SB and then compare the sound of the modded analog SB to the sound of the digital out through the DAC 1. If your prefer the sound of the analog out of the SB, you can sell the DAC 1 and come out ahead.

creilly333

« Reply #7 on: 3 Aug 2006, 01:21 am »
Wayne,

I understand exactly what you are saying.  The simpler the path the better, and I fully agree with that.  However my problem is I have one of the newer Naim power amps and I would have to have a special cable made up for the connection, and I do not know what the pin outs would be.  Unless someone on this board does :-)

Colin