North Creek Music Okara II/Ikemo kit vs Audax DIY

Arctos

« on: 10 Jun 2003, 02:26 am »
Greetings,
I am trying to decide on my next project.  I am looking for  a monitor speaker that will need to be able to play in a larger room, but massive volume is not necessary.  They will need to be placed very near a back wall on a dedicated shelf and the dimensions can't be any larger than about 14" tall and 10" deep.

I have narrowed my choices down to 2 (unless someone comes up with another one!):

North Creek Music Okara II/Ikemo Kit - uses a P13WH-00-08 mid/woofer and either a North Creek tweeter or the Scanspeak D2905/9500 tweeter (significant upgrade cost).  This unit is rear ported.

Audax Pro 13 T1 - This option is not a kit, but the parts can be purchased and I have the plans (sent to me from a very kind and helpful audio enthusiast from Australia!).  It uses the Audax HM130C0 mid/woofer and the Audax TW025A16 titanium tweeter.  This unit is front ported.

I will be using them for 2 channel as well as fronts in an H/T system, but 2 channel is by far the main listening choice and concern.  I would like to keep this project under $500 total.

Thanks,

Arctos

scottpretti

OkaraII
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jun 2003, 08:21 pm »
Hi Arctos,

The NorthCreek OkaraII was first speaker I ever built.  The cabinet was, for a first time DIYer, a bit demanding.   In went with the Upgraded xover version with the scan speak tweeter.    I was floored by the cross over construction, first class and very well built.  Sound quality is incredible.  I auditioned speakers from $500  to $2300 and the 9500 OkaraII  is the best small speaker I've listened to.  What really surprised my was the bass that this little speaker gives out, definitely goes to 60 to 55hz.   All in all an incredibly great little speaker!   I do not keep the grills on permanently, only when we have company that does not know how to keep their hand to themselves.  They have put Revel M20s and a few B&W monitors to shame.  I would not hesitate to say that the Upgraded OkaraII would give the Gems a run for the money.  The OkaraII sound stage is wide and deep.  Voices are just as they should be, natural, lifelike and palpable.  The 9500 tweeter is amazing!  I recorded my son playing the violin and it is uncanny how the speaker can reproduce the slightest nuances that are present when hearing the violin live.  I'm in the process of building two Poseidon subs to mate with the Okaras,  I'll call them my Studio killers!  Sorry Revel.  

If you check on  gallery page 2 you will find some pictures of the finished Okaras.  Link http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;album=62 hope it works.

Arctos

« Reply #2 on: 14 Jun 2003, 03:50 am »
Thanks Scott,
Those look very nice!!  If I go this route it will be easier since I can buy the kit from North Creek, as opposed to compiling the components for the Audax units.

I would like to ask you where you got the grills?  Did you make them or buy them?  They look very classy.  I like the idea of having grills to protect the drivers, but I too remove them when listening.

Thanks again,

RDS

scottpretti

« Reply #3 on: 14 Jun 2003, 01:52 pm »
I picked the grill material at the Homedepot, it's radiator screen material made of aluminum.  Very easily cut and bent,  it slides into the little slot between the main cabinet and the fascia.  I went this route because I did not want any grill cover holes on the face of the speaker but still wanted to protect the drivers, mainly the very expensive 9500 tweeter.

I remember reading at the Madisound forum that the NorthCreek tweeter and the 9500 sound very similar.  I'm sure George has built a great tweeter.  I may build a full set of these little guys for my HT setup, that's how mush I love the natural sound they reproduce.  George has  told me that  he is working on a horizontal MTM center channel for the Okara (Ikemo), great for HT!   I just received the amps and drivers for the Poseidon subs, can't wait to get started

Arctos

« Reply #4 on: 18 Jun 2003, 02:20 am »
Thanks for the info Scott!!  Let me know how the Poseidons work out.  After a few pairs of speakers I may want to try a sub!

Regards,

RDS