Transcendence Eight Vacuum Tube Preamplifier

avahifi

Transcendence Eight Vacuum Tube Preamplifier
« on: 31 Jul 2006, 07:51 pm »

Since it appears that nobody here has heard about this new vacuum tube preamplifier of our, I decided to post a photo of it and wave my arms and say "hey, it is here" and it is really really nice.

You can find out more about it at:  http://www.avahifi.com/root/equipment/preamplifier/Transcendence_Eight_Vacuum_Tube_Preamplifier.htm

Thanks for your time.

Frank Van Alstine
« Last Edit: 31 Jul 2006, 09:13 pm by avahifi »

Wayner

Re: Transcendence Eight Vacuum Tube Preamplifier
« Reply #1 on: 31 Jul 2006, 08:10 pm »
Frank,

The page on your website for the Transendence Eight lists the Phono section avalible as a kit for $149. I didn't think any of it was avalible in kit form.

Wayner

TjMV3

« Reply #2 on: 31 Jul 2006, 08:20 pm »
I actually have my sights set on this one.  I'm saving for it.  With two kids,  it will take a little longer 8)

Eventually,  after purchasing the Transcendence Eight,  I'll start saving for either the Ultra 350 or 550ex FET amp.  Haven't decided which amp, yet.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #3 on: 31 Jul 2006, 09:07 pm »
Hey Frank,

I posted the T8 pic from your website for now...and I'll call you back to help you out with any further pics you want posted in the future.

I've just been backlogged today...but digging out now (I think  :))

John / TheChairGuy

Wayner

« Reply #4 on: 25 Aug 2006, 06:34 pm »
I just received my T8 today. It replaces an old Dynaco Pat4. Where the heck have I been? By the way, if you order one, get it loaded if you are a vinyl head; phono inputs, remote, tape buffer. After I calm down a bit, I will try to record some vinyl onto CD-R.

I will post later on that subject.

Thanks Frank!

W

TheChairGuy

« Reply #5 on: 25 Aug 2006, 06:43 pm »
Sweet Wayner...let us know, vinylhead.  Fully regulated top and bottom tubes seem like a great idea to me.  My current preamp has 6 fully regulated tubes (one for each), and it's probably a good bit of the reason why I dig it so much.  Bass authority, clarity and even some treble extension are handled with excellence I'm not used with tube preamps.

Regulating tubes seem to bring dynamic authority one is used to with SS, but with that tube wonderfull-ness still in place  :)

Frank's latest creation, the T8, seems to be one better still.

I just received my T8 today. It replaces an old Dynaco Pat4. Where the heck have I been? By the way, if you order one, get it loaded if you are a vinyl head; phono inputs, remote, tape buffer. After I calm down a bit, I will try to record some vinyl onto CD-R.

I will post later on that subject.

Thanks Frank!

W

Wayner

« Reply #6 on: 25 Aug 2006, 08:06 pm »
As I sit here, I am finishing Al DiMeola's Casio on vinyl through the T8. It was glorious! For those of you going to the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest, you are in for a treat. Frank tells me he has a booth with Jim Falk and I think it may be the best booth at the show. This is the first tube pre-amp that I have ever owned and so each CD or album played is a new experience for me as the tubes certainly show a new light on an old subject, which is many of my old vinyl recordings.

For those interested in the chain: Empire 598 II w/Grado Gold Longhorn>AVA T8 preamp>AVA 170EX power amp>Dynaco A25XL's. I also use a Marantz CD-5400 for Cd's. There isn't any special interconnects or speaker wire. A nice system for my studio.

W

TheChairGuy

« Reply #7 on: 25 Aug 2006, 08:10 pm »
Good to see you van Alstine 'Longhorned' your Grado...I didn't know whether you had or not.  I suspect it worked as promised and intended  :?:

Wayner

« Reply #8 on: 25 Aug 2006, 08:52 pm »
I'd post a picture if I new how to run this contraption.

W

TheChairGuy

« Reply #9 on: 25 Aug 2006, 09:57 pm »
I'd post a picture if I new how to run this contraption.

W

Wayner...this should be okay by Frank for me to post this...as I counseled him a couple weeks ago on the same subject.

On a PC....

1.  Load your images to your gallery

2.  When loaded, left click the images, then left click it again

3.  Right click that image, go to properties, and then copy the address path of the image (either ending in .jpg or .gif)

4.  Copy the "Address" info between the ('Insert Image' button is on your bottom row, two from the left) img/img tags

Regards,

John / TCG

« Last Edit: 26 Aug 2006, 02:10 am by TheChairGuy »

Berndt

« Reply #10 on: 26 Aug 2006, 12:37 am »
the review of the 8 on the ava website goes to a review of the 5.
fyi

Wayner

« Reply #11 on: 26 Aug 2006, 02:22 pm »

Here is my Grado Gold Longhorn project photos.

W
« Last Edit: 26 Aug 2006, 02:34 pm by Wayner »

Listens2tubes

« Reply #12 on: 27 Aug 2006, 04:34 am »
Here's my T8 upgrade and Longhorn mod.

Wayner

« Reply #13 on: 1 Sep 2006, 04:34 pm »
I have had my T8 for a week now and I think it's time for a review.

I first must say that I have reconnected it with different equipment. The 3 sources are VPI HW-19 turntable with Sumiko Blue Point Special in an Audioquest tone arm. The CD player is a Marantz CD-5400 and the tuner is a stock Dynaco FM-5. The Power Amp is the AVA 260EX and the speakers are the Paradigm 40v.3's.

As many of you know, the T8 is in the larger enclosure with a new face plate and new looks. There are new round gold plated push button switches and the balance control has notch positions. My version has the remote control volume/mute as well as the phono option which is hooked up to the special jacks.

Fit, finish and construction are superb! Yes, I took off the cover (with the unit unplugged, of course) to view the insides. The wiring and construction is so neat, Frank should have a clear cover option, just so friends can see the insides!

With every source, the T8 takes total command. I would say if you are bored with your amp or source components, get a T8. The T8 will make these other components sound much better. The bass was in total control from any source and the midrange, sweet. Of course the high end went off to the stratosphere. This is the first pre-amp that I ever had that didn't have tone controls. They simply are not missed. I have never been exposed to a component that had this much affect on the sound of my system.

The T8 replaced a 10 year old AVA Omega III EC which is a very, very good pre-amp. This new one is better. No, I'm not selling the older Omega as that now has new duties with a AVA 170EX and a pair of Dynaco A25XL's.

The T8 is Highly recommended from me. I would suggest ordering it fully loaded and if you like to record albums onto CD, don't forget the buffered tape output option.

Because I'm a vinyl head, I must comment on the phono section. The T8 revealed so much more information from the record grooves than ever. Many of my favorite albums revealed a soundstage that I never heard before, there was reverberation that simply were not heard before. So now, every old favorite record sounds new and different!

Get a T8!

W

ricmon

« Reply #14 on: 1 Sep 2006, 04:56 pm »
Just couorius.  How would you guys compare the sound of the T8 to the Ultra preamp?  I am thinking of upgrading to the Ultra line.