Are you experiencing uneven power?

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Are you experiencing uneven power?
« on: 31 Jul 2006, 01:42 pm »
Yesterday around 3 in the afternoon in Vienna just out of Washington DC,  power flickered on and off several times, with at least one cycle long enough to reset the clock.  I was in the basement where it's the coolest in the house listening to music and noticed the flickers.  I checked my power conditioner and the incoming voltage was dipped as low as 105v. :evil: I hope this is an abberation and not the norm to come..........

Levi

Re: Are you experiencing uneven power?
« Reply #1 on: 31 Jul 2006, 01:53 pm »
My Automatic Voltage Regulator makes "cloncking" sound every now and then trying to compensate for the sag. 

This week will be even worse as the temperature will go up above 95+ degrees. 

An Audiophile UPS may come in handy. :P

ctviggen

« Reply #2 on: 31 Jul 2006, 01:57 pm »
My power has been dipping down lately.   A week or so ago, during a particularly hot spell, the voltage averaged 106-107 volts.  I expect the same for the next few days.

Reference Audio Mods

• http://www.referenceaudiomods.com
« Reply #3 on: 31 Jul 2006, 02:59 pm »
This is about the worst time of the year to listen to music unless you have heavy mains correction (balanced power, isolation transformers, chokes, LC Cell filters, etc...) or just every peice of geat is powered by an optimal battery supply and you'll have the best sound.

PhilNYC

« Reply #4 on: 31 Jul 2006, 03:29 pm »
I experienced pretty wild swings in my house during the summer until I got my dedicated AC lines.  After that, there were still swings, but not nearly as wide (5-6v, vs 10-15v with non-dedicated lines).  Not sure why that would be, since my air conditioner wasn't on the same circuit with my audio gear....

ctviggen

« Reply #5 on: 31 Jul 2006, 05:51 pm »
I have a 20 amp dedicated circuit (which I put in and runs about 5 feet to my breaker box) for my system.  I don't really get swings, but I get brownouts (low voltage).  My town's power supply isn't great, though.  Most of the neighbors have generators because of this.  Supposedly, the power would go out for hours in the past.  That hasn't happened to me in the short time I've been there, but the power has gone out multiple times.  The low voltage is a bit disturbing, because both my preamp and dvd player have freaked out over the low voltage. 

woodsyi

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 31 Jul 2006, 06:08 pm »
I put in 2 20 amp lines each with circuit surge protectors.  They don't help when the power coming into the house is flutting from the transformer.  I think the voltage just sags regionally when there is too much demand.  It maybe like that on all hot days but I am not home to notice it.  Or every one stayed in on this particular steamy Sunday afternoon with AC cranking and chilling to some form of electronic entertainment.  I hope it cools down by next weekend........

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #7 on: 31 Jul 2006, 06:57 pm »
With the major heat waves across the Midwest and Eastern part of the states, I think we can expect some "less than perfect" power conditions for a while.
 We are expected to top 100 degrees tomorrow so you can be sure every airconditioner in the country will be running.

I have already experienced flickering, or better yet "dimming" lights during the hottest parts of the day.

Very unusual weather across the globe.

Double Ugly

« Reply #8 on: 31 Jul 2006, 07:10 pm »
woodsyi -

Can you hear your APC's fan when listening to music?  I've heard the unit does what it's supposed to do really well, but that fan noise can be a problem.

We experience a lot of brown-outs/reduced voltages here year 'round, and I'd love to have a battery back-up w/ my conditioning.

Thanks.

-Jim

woodsyi

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 31 Jul 2006, 07:52 pm »
woodsyi -

Can you hear your APC's fan when listening to music?  I've heard the unit does what it's supposed to do really well, but that fan noise can be a problem.

We experience a lot of brown-outs/reduced voltages here year 'round, and I'd love to have a battery back-up w/ my conditioning.

Thanks.

-Jim

Jim,

The fan noise on the Audiophile APS 1050 unit may be a problem for those who have really quite room with gears that produce the blackest background and listen to music with very quiet passages.  With any instrument or voices playing, you can't hear the fan.  From my nearfield listening position (7ft) with everything on I can just make out the whirling noise when everything else is dead quiet.   When you step right up to it, you can definitely hear the fan especially if you are running at 70% load like I am.  So, I called the company and they said that they are always looking for a better one  to hit the market but nothing performs better than what they have now.  They are currently using Nexus Technology 12 Volt 80 mm fan and I couldn't find anything with better spec (17.6 dBa) on Google. 

I kept the unit after comparing to RSA Haley and EP15A because it outperformed them in power conditioning to my ears but I am really glad of the battery back up feature.  I did not have to jump out of my chair to turn things off when light was flickereing on and off.  Now that I have it, I am not sure I will ever want to do without it. It's worth a trial especially with 30 day return policy.  There is a two year replacement warrenty.
« Last Edit: 31 Jul 2006, 08:41 pm by woodsyi »

Reference Audio Mods

« Reply #10 on: 31 Jul 2006, 08:20 pm »
No flickering or brownuts here in Detroit....well the suburbs of detroit (no one lives in detroit!)  :guns:.
But then again my system is on batteries which must be making a difference for this area..lol  :lol:

Double Ugly

« Reply #11 on: 31 Jul 2006, 10:22 pm »
Thanks for the thorough reply, woodsyi.  Maybe I'll take one for a 30-day spin when finances allow.

Reference Audio Mods

« Reply #12 on: 1 Aug 2006, 06:11 pm »
I guess DTE Energy (energy company here in Michigan) recorded a record breaking 12,000+ MegaWatts of power usuage yesterday! The governor of MI urged everyone to set their AC to 78 degrees and turn lights out in office buildingd to preserve power. I am looking at my thermometer right now and it says 105 degrees (in the sun). High humidity too!

mjosef

« Reply #13 on: 1 Aug 2006, 11:03 pm »
Here in Brooklyn, NY...I am seeing my daytime voltage flickering between 119-120, not too bad. Late evening and early morning its usually about 123-125.
My window AC can only maintain about 88 degrees in my apt., better than nothing I suppose.
Its going to be a tough next 3 days.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #14 on: 2 Aug 2006, 10:24 am »
Memories are short!  Remember the August 2003 blackout (68 million affected)?

The U.S. water, sewer, and power infrastructures are eroding with no federal plans in sight to address them.  Thankfully according to the President global warming is just a rumor.   :roll:

I spent yesterday in a 78 degree office with the lights out, and BTW my car's AC doesn't work.   :evil:

Levi

« Reply #15 on: 3 Aug 2006, 02:44 am »
Here in Queens, NY...10:42PM and it is 95degrees outside.  105.4 volts +/- in my Automatic Voltage Regulator.  Trying to compensate for 14 volts +/- for my audio system for constant 119-121 volts 1800watts capacity.  Sound and picture are clear as hell!!  All A/Cs running, I am glad I put in a dedicated 20Amp line.
« Last Edit: 3 Aug 2006, 03:17 am by Levi »

bubba966

« Reply #16 on: 3 Aug 2006, 03:23 am »
No voltage fluctuations here. 'course around here no one has heard of A/C.

Although I never have fluctuations at my house. So I'm not terribly surprised that I still don't have fluctuations with the wonderful heat we've been having.

And even though I've got my A/C cranked (just got the A/C unit yesterday, should done that a looooooooooong time ago....) I've no power problems. My system is on a dedicated line. So there might be problems if it wasn't.

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #17 on: 3 Aug 2006, 03:26 am »
I guess DTE Energy (energy company here in Michigan) recorded a record breaking 12,000+ MegaWatts of power usuage yesterday! The governor of MI urged everyone to set their AC to 78 degrees and turn lights out in office buildingd to preserve power. I am looking at my thermometer right now and it says 105 degrees (in the sun). High humidity too!

Man... our high was 67 degrees today!   I had two coats on this morning on the way to work.   Overnight it reached 52 degrees.   :lol:

I'm just rubbing it in Doug.  I used to live in Indiana (and Georgia before that) and I'm quite pleased with PNW weather.    8)

Reference Audio Mods

« Reply #18 on: 3 Aug 2006, 03:42 am »
Hey Kevin! Whats up! Long time !   Yeah today it got up to 99 and Super High humidity as well, it was a scorcher! I live in the warmest part of the state of Michigan. We were lucky to only get about 3-4 good snowfalls last winter and the average temp. was around 30 and your body seems to adjust and it doesnt feel that cold in essence.. People tend to think we get snowed out here, and I think the least time I had that type of snow it was back in the early 90's, however the big snow is up north!! 

Thanks again and please take care!!

Levi

« Reply #19 on: 3 Aug 2006, 03:45 am »
Nice cool temperature you have there.  How is it during January?

Man... our high was 67 degrees today!   I had two coats on this morning on the way to work.   Overnight it reached 52 degrees.   :lol:

I'm just rubbing it in Doug.  I used to live in Indiana (and Georgia before that) and I'm quite pleased with PNW weather.    8)