Balanced and Unbalanced connections at the same time

kas

I will ask the question first then will tell you what I am thinking about doing. Can I connect balanced and unbalanced cables to my 9BSST at the same time? And everytime I want to use the source that's connected to either one of them, I will change the switch on my amp's channels. I have a 9BSST and currently using a receiver (Pioneer Elite VSX-55Tix) acting as a preamp/processor, and it is currently connected to the amp using unbalanced connectors. My objective is to improve the sound in stereo mode. I am thinking about buying a DAC with a volume control and connect it to the amp using balanced connectors when I listen to music. When I want to watch TV or movies, I will turn my DAC off and switch the connectors on the amp to unbalanced so it will gets its feed from the receiver. I know that this will be inconvenient, however I won't have to spend large sums of money on a good preamp/processor. If you have a better way of doing these, please let me know.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

kas

Levi

Re: Balanced and Unbalanced connections at the same time
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jul 2006, 03:25 am »
Yes. Absolutely. 

You can also play around with different gain settings.

Cheers.

Levi

« Reply #2 on: 29 Jul 2006, 03:28 am »
A better way of doing it is to get a separate 2ch amplifier and a 2ch processor with unity gain setting or HT bypass. 

kas

« Reply #3 on: 30 Jul 2006, 07:53 am »
Thanks Levi for your response and idea! I might just forget about my plan and just buy a good preamp/processor like a Bryston SP2. I noticed that you have a Bryston SP1.7 and that's a great processor. Are you happy with it?

kas

Levi

« Reply #4 on: 30 Jul 2006, 03:15 pm »
You are welcome kas.

I like my SP1.7 for it's flexibility and performance @$3-5K price point.

The SP2 has even better processor board.  I can only imagine.

If you buy the Bryston SP2 proc, I should get credit from Bryston LTD. :lol:

Cheers,
Levi
« Last Edit: 30 Jul 2006, 04:10 pm by Levi »