The ULTIMATE Power Supply MKII

Wayne1

The ULTIMATE Power Supply MKII
« on: 28 Jul 2006, 12:49 am »

Here is the latest in a long line of power supplies for the SqueezeBox  :icon_lol:

The Ultimate Power Supply that I first built used all I had learned about PS design and the sonic differences involved with parts selection.

The ULTIMATE MKII encompasses all I have learned since then. It uses all the tweaky toys with better measured performance.

I have finally found a good looking case that is fairly easy, for me, to machine. It almost is a reasonable price :?

I am using the tweaky ACME Audio Silver Plated, Cryo treated, AC inlet and fuse holder. It has a Silver plated, ceramic AC fuse.

All internal wiring is solid core 99.9995% pure silver. EI core transformer that is mechanically and electrically quieter than the earlier version.

The height of the case allows me to use the 47,000 uFd Jensen four pole caps in both the smoothing and reservoir position in the circuit.

The regulator circuit has changed from the first Ultimate PS. It now has better noise rejection.

I do have parts on hand to build the PS. Lead time should only be 2-3 weeks.

I can upgrade the  Good, Better, Best PS that have already been sold for about $100.00.

This PS will sell for $750.00.

With 4) Bybee Purifiers the cost will be $1150.00

The ULTIMATE PS can be built for 5 VDC or 12 VDC. It can also be built for 240 VAC.

Please place your order here

BRN

Re: The ULTIMATE Power Supply MKII
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jul 2006, 03:45 pm »
Wayne,

From an earlier post you said that the case is about the same size as the basic rev2 power supply. is there a possability of have the my basic rev2 upgraded to the new power supply?

Thanks,
Brad

Wayne1

« Reply #2 on: 29 Jul 2006, 04:08 pm »
Brad,

The Basic Rev 2 uses a case that is 7" x 5" x 3". I tried out a version of the new case that was the same size. It was a bit hard to fit everything in there. That is why I went to the "newest" case. It is 8" x 6" x 4 1/2". The extra height allows the use of the larger Jensen caps.

Just about all the parts are different in the new supply from the Basic Rev1. About the only things that are the same are AC inlet, fuse holder, HexFREDs, input and output connectors.

I did build a few "upgraded" Basic Rev 1 supplies with smaller Jensen caps. They were an improvement over the Basic, but not they are not up the the new "Ultimate MK II"

In fact PeteG is going to stop by later to borrow the New Ultimate MK II and compare it to a Basic Rev 1 and his upgraded Basic Rev 1 with Jensen Caps. We should find out what he thinks in a few days.

BRN

« Reply #3 on: 29 Jul 2006, 08:08 pm »
I look forward to results of that comparison.

PeteG

« Reply #4 on: 30 Jul 2006, 08:06 pm »
I would like to thank Wayne for letting me try his two PS, the Basic Rev.1 and the new Ultimate MK II, I have one of Wayne’s upgraded Basic Rev.1 with the smaller Jensen caps.

I started with the Basic Rev.1 and it had the same sound as I remembered before I upgraded mine, it’s a big step up from the original SB2 switcher PS, the bass was a little boomy and over powered my small room a little also it sounds like a slight veil over the mids and top end compared to the other PS, I don’t want to come across as sounding negative, this was and is a very good sounding PS for the money.

The upgraded Basic Rev.1 w/Jensen caps was a double edge sword in my 2ch system, the bass boominess is not only gone but I have a lot more detail in the bottom end notes and the bass was very tight/solid with no hangover at all, the problem was the mids and top end had a little to much detail getting close to being analytical but I believe this was do to the sound of my 2ch system. Actually, the upgraded Rev.1 sounded very good on my SB2 in my home theater using the digital out in to a Denon upgraded 5800 receiver.

The Ultimate MKII was a gem, first the new case looks good a lot better than Wayne’s pic (sorry Wayne) it looked nice in my rack and it’s a little bigger than I thought
it would be.

Just like the original Ultimate PS they surpassed both Rev.1 PS quite a bit, very detailed top end but smooth with no irritating qualities at all. The bass is very full and solid, like I remembered the Ultimate PS sounding before, Ben Webster’s sax is smooth and fat sounding once again in my room. The one thing that stands out this time from the previous Ultimate PS is vocals and not just female vocals, they sound so life like it’s amazing,
I would have to hear them together (old & new) to be more positive of the difference, but still I’m very impressed with the new MKII. One thing I don’t know is how much break-in time the MKII had on it. I also haven't heard anything out there that will better Bolder Cables modded SB/MKII PS combo at any price.

I also listened to Wayne’s fuse for the SB (don’t know which one it is) and I’ll be if it didn’t make a difference, it took some of the edge off of the top end of my Rev.1 PS, well worth the price  :thumb:.     

Pete

Wayne1

« Reply #5 on: 30 Jul 2006, 09:43 pm »
Thanks for the comments, Pete.

I finished the Ultimate Power Supply MK ll on Thursday. I had it running around the clock since then, until you picked it up.

You are VERY welcome to take a picture of the case and post it. I am not known for my photo skills :lol:

The larger case, new transformer, larger caps and new circuit all contribute to the improved sound over the upgraded Basic Rev 1.

I do have the Original Ultimate PS here for upgrades. Maybe we will have to do a comparison before I rip it apart.  :D