PMC/Bryston for small room

panderso

PMC/Bryston for small room
« on: 27 Jul 2006, 04:49 pm »
A number of factors have led me to shift to PMC/Bryston; the ready-made synergy between electronics and speakers for one. I'm looking for advice on the optimum system for a smallish room, about 11' x 16', 8' ceiling, typical Canadian wood frame/drywall construction, hardwood veneer floor suspended on wood joists. (i.e., the floor can be fairly resonant). I listen to a wide range of music including classical chamber, small ensemble jazz, all sorts of guitar, female vocalists, folk influenced pop-rock. I enjoy a rich and involving sound with layers and textures of musical tone, but mostly it is quieter listening.  My ears will be only about 8' from the speakers.

Where is the optimum PMC/Bryston partnership for this sort of listening?  Probably the DB1+ and B100 SST would be an excellent start.  I've heard and enjoyed the integrated, but not with PMC.
With the particular speakers I had at the time, the highs and bass were superb, but the mids a bit too reticent for the bass, to my personal taste.

If I can swing something more ambitious; say BP 26 and 3BSST, which is the ideal speaker?  I expect the OB1 will have more bass than my room can handle.  The TB2+, GB1 and FB1+ would all appear to be good candidates; which is likely to be optimal? 

Advice much appreciated, either from Mr. Tanner or owner/users.

regards,
             -paul, Winnipeg

WEEZ

Re: PMC/Bryston for small room
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jul 2006, 10:38 pm »
On the Bryston site, I think there is a review of a system comprised of a B60 amplifier; Rega Planet player; and TB2 speakers. In a room the size of yours, I would think that a system such as this would work great; not cost an outragious amount of money; and should be powerful enough.

I really like the B60 amplifier. It's a classic.

WEEZ

panderso

« Reply #2 on: 28 Jul 2006, 12:18 am »
Many thanks Weez, most helpful. Are there others with thoughts on the subject?  Is TB1 the small room ticket?

cheers,
     -paul-

guest2521

« Reply #3 on: 28 Jul 2006, 09:31 am »
Go for the aml1 - its active so you just need a pre and a source.

panderso

« Reply #4 on: 2 Aug 2006, 09:03 pm »
Thanks Biovizier.  I already have an (integrated) amp, the Nait 5i, that some think a good match for the DB 1+s. I've read very positive, thoughtful reviews of the DB 1+s  in Hi Fi + and The Inner Ear  I thought I might start with the optimal passive PMC, then work up to Bryston separates.

On the other hand, the TB2+ looks very promising for my small room. Its higher sensitivity might partner well with the Nait until I move up. (I meant, of course, to refer to the TB2+ in my immediately previous post above, not 'TB1'.) 

The size format of the TB2+ is one that worked quite well in the past, near-field in my smallish room, with other speaker lines; big and full sounding, without overwhelming the room.

I read the review Weezer referred us to in his post above, (thanks again) and the TB2+ sounds very promising for a small room application, even with entry level Bryston electronics. 

Why not just listen to them myself and chose? If only....  Not stocked anywhere nearby, (i.e. within a 1000 miles or so), but easily ordered...

other input most welcome,
       cheers,
                       -paul-

Bob Reynolds

« Reply #5 on: 2 Aug 2006, 11:52 pm »
I can't say enough good things about my 7B-SST amps. I'm using them with M&K reference monitors and a reference subwoofer. There's some real advantages to being able to independently locate the bass and the midrange/treble. You may find this of interest:

http://www.mkprofessional.com/bass_mgmt.htm

PorkpieHat

« Reply #6 on: 3 Aug 2006, 09:58 am »
The B60 is not particularly powerful. If I were you I would stick to your 3BSST/BP26 plan. If you are short on cash, you can pick up a BP25 on the used market for mini-moolah these days and, while it is not quite up to the BP26, it is a very good pre-amp. Great soundstage, transparency, dynamics, low noise floor, etc.. If you are buying used get one built before Bryston changed its warranty policy unless it comes with an original receipt. Be sure to get a decent set of cables as well.

Good luck.

jethro

« Reply #7 on: 4 Aug 2006, 09:18 pm »
Paul:

I wouldn't be too concerned about the bass from PMC speakers overpowering
your room. I have three IB-1's in a 13.5 x 18 room with the same construction
as yours, positioned about 7 ft from my listening position. I haven't heard the other
models, but they all now have the soft dome tweeter. One feature that the
OB-1's have is the same midrange driver as the IB-1's. From your description
of your listening habits, it sounds like this might be an important feature for you.

KUB3

« Reply #8 on: 5 Aug 2006, 04:41 pm »
Without a doubt the AML1 is far superior to my previous IB2 passives and 7B's. Less volume, but so much more satisfying. A match in heaven for a small room.

panderso

« Reply #9 on: 13 Aug 2006, 08:55 pm »
One feature that the OB-1's have is the same midrange driver as the IB-1's. From your description
of your listening habits, it sounds like this might be an important feature for you.

Thanks Jethro, the point about the domed mid-range driver on the OB1 is not lost on me. Perceptive comment. 

And KUB makes a persuasive case for the AML1 approach...

Thanks to all for the input. I'm selling a few things, we'll see what I can put together...

People may want to note the upcoming review of the 2B SST in UHF mag, should be out in a week or two.

regards,
                        -paul-

jethro

« Reply #10 on: 14 Aug 2006, 12:59 am »
Paul,

The CB-6 also has the same dome midrange. I think James Tanner is using the CB-6 postioned
vertically for his back speakers. I'm not sure how they would perform in this orientation for
stereo listening, but it might also be an option.