Grover

Initial thoughts on D-100 monoblocks
« on: 26 Jul 2006, 04:58 am »

Holy Cow!  :o :D

(more details to follow in a few days.)

Grover

Re: Initial thoughts on D-100 monoblocks
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jul 2006, 05:30 pm »
OK, I've spent enough time listening that I can make a few additional comments.

First off, I chose the amp to replace a heavily modified (by me) EL34 push-pull tube amp that had become a bit problematic.  I was looking for a new solid state amp that was quieter, required less maintenance, was more reliable, and didn't give up the qualities that I love about tube amps - soundstage and liquidity.

I'd call the D-100s a resounding success.  They offer more foundation (better bass) than the tube amp and they offer better treble as well.  There's more sparkle and better detail in the higher frequency ranges than what I'm used to hearing.  When my tube amp is working and properly biased, I'd say it has better midrange presence and a bit better soundstage.  But not all that much better, and the D-100s only have about six hours on them.  So with just a few hours and a few of my favorite CDs having been played, I'm not missing the tube amp and feel the D-100s to be a great purchase.

I've got it hooked up to my CIA VDA2 DAC and a diy tube preamp, going to Jean-Marie Reynaud Trente speakers.   The sound is not drastically altered from what I'm used to hearing.  This let's me know that the amp is still delivering the overall character of my system.  But it very much has the same effect as when I dropped in the VDA2 DAC-- the system seems to just get out of the way even more and let the music come through.  I'm pleased.

I have read a couple of posts that said the D-100s sounded "dark".  I guess it's all what you're used to hearing.  I'm not hearing dark at all.  Just good detailed sound that seems not to call attention to one aspect of the music over any other aspect.

Next up is the Volex power cords which have been ordered but haven't arrived.  Then I'm thinking of some isolation footers to raise the amps up a bit so the speaker binding posts have a bit more room for connections.  All in good time.

This is one of the most fun purchases I've made as the amp has already met my expectations and I only see it getting better as it breaks in.

CIAudio

« Reply #2 on: 27 Jul 2006, 12:41 am »
Glad you're enjoying your new D-100's  :D

You can connect your speaker cables from the top (rather than bottom).
The binding posts are intentionally spaced so the cables will clear the heatsink plate when connected this way. Even better, get some cables with locking bananas on the amp end.

I think you'll like the Volex power cords...let me know once you get them.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 1 Aug 2006, 09:56 am »
Are there any recommended after market power cords for the VMB-1 monoblocks?

CIAudio

« Reply #4 on: 1 Aug 2006, 04:45 pm »
I didn't do much experimenting on cords with VMB-1, but the Volex recommended in other threads should work well.

Grover

« Reply #5 on: 1 Aug 2006, 05:13 pm »
I got the Volex cords in a few days ago and tried them out on the D-100s.
They weren't a pleasing result in my opinion.  The sound turned very tinny and I wasn't enjoying my music.

So I took them out and put the stock cords back in. All is well.  The D-100s are great amps.

CIAudio

« Reply #6 on: 1 Aug 2006, 07:57 pm »
I got the Volex cords in a few days ago and tried them out on the D-100s.
They weren't a pleasing result in my opinion.  The sound turned very tinny and I wasn't enjoying my music.

So I took them out and put the stock cords back in. All is well.  The D-100s are great amps.

How long did you have the cords hooked up? I'd leave them in for a few days before making judgement.
I haven't really done a listening comparison on D-100's, but they had the opposite affect of what you described on the D-200's in my home rig.

mfsoa

« Reply #7 on: 1 Aug 2006, 08:18 pm »
And eventually, you might want to lop off the ends and add better IEC and AC plugs. I did this simple and fun project using, well I forget exactly right now - the cheapest stuff on the VHAudio site. Can maybe find them cheaper, I don't know, but total cost per cable comes out to maybe $35 each. My guess is you would have to spend more than that to do better, and you get the sense of DIY accomplishment!!

Grover

« Reply #8 on: 1 Aug 2006, 10:01 pm »
I only had the Volex cords hooked up for about two hours before I couldn't stand it any longer.  When I work up enough resolve, I'll try them again; maybe letting the system play all day while I'm at work.  I just can't tell you how awful the sound was, compared to the stock cords.  Everything that is special about the D-100s just vanished.    :dunno:

But I seem to be the only one that has had this negative experience, as the comments from other users has been positive.  :scratch:

You know, it's only a few dollars and worth the fun experimenting.  I'll give 'em another try, and perhaps consider better ends as mfsoa related.  Although, I've been happy with the Asylum power cord from DIYCABLE, and might just get two more of those to use with the D-100s.  The amps themselves, I'm extremely happy with.

I've even grown into a HUGE fan of blue LEDs.

Nick B

« Reply #9 on: 2 Aug 2006, 07:18 am »
Can't speak for the D100's, but the Volex work fine with my D200's. My D200's were used, but only had 50 hours on them. I hooked up the new Volex cords I had ordered 
and put some hours on them (maybe 20) before I bothered to listen. The performance is very good  and I have no need to audition different cables right now. These D200's are revealing and have a great midrange. No harshness or grain.....and yes, I like the blue LED's also.

CSI

« Reply #10 on: 19 Aug 2006, 05:05 pm »
Hey Grover, did you ever get back to the Volex cords? I've had my D-100's (balanced) for about a year and have been using Signal Cable pc's. Better bass. I got curious about the Volex cord and ordered a few yesterday. I will A/B with the Signals and stock cords and report back any bad juju.

Grover

« Reply #11 on: 19 Aug 2006, 09:18 pm »
I haven't gone back to the Volex cords yet.  I've been occupied elsewhere.
I just refinished a bookcase that will serve as an album rack and have reconnected
my turntable.  The tunes are flowing, and I'll try the Volex cords eventually.

You're the second person who has recommended the Signal Cable power cords to me
in the past few weeks.  I might give those a try as well, and will look forward to your
comparisons against the Volex if you care to post any observations.