A Scanner Darkly

jakepunk

A Scanner Darkly
« on: 23 Jul 2006, 02:08 am »
I have not read the Philip K. Dick novel, but this film is all form and no substance (pardon the pun).  The rotoscoping doesn't really add or detract from the film, but it doesn't help it.  The problem is that the film spends most of the time in the protagonist's living room tripping out instead of exploring the implications of the protagonist's dilemma.  Robert Downey Jr. gives a manic performance, and he's fun to watch.  But I kept thinking, "this whole thing could have been wrapped up as a 30 minute cartoon".  There's not enough material to work with.  I think the depth of the novel must have been stripped away when the screenplay was created.  My suspicions are that the book is better.

mhr

Re: A Scanner Darkly
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jul 2006, 02:14 am »
Have to say I enjoyed it.

Thought the combination of future Dystopia with the Rotoscoping made for a very disconcerting movie experience.

I walked out of the theater with a severe case of Disassociation.

No other movie has had ever had that effect on me.

A Scanner Darkly is sure to become a cult classic.

Highly recommended for that reason alone.

DeadFish

Re: A Scanner Darkly
« Reply #2 on: 25 Jul 2006, 03:13 pm »
I'm looking forward to the movie, regardless.

'all form and no substance' makes me think someone was successful with Dick-ian interpretation!

To the point, I've been a Dick-Head since the late 60's, and although the man had some issues in real life and in his writing, this has been something he has pointed at in many novels.

If you read his stuff, he can spend a lot of time mapping it all out, but it can be like he realizes the rough draft has to be in the mail yesterday, and wraps it up in 10 minutes.
Still, it doesn't discount on his discourses concerning the nature of reality.

I won't go on (and on and on...) but his time spent on the 'nature of things' in a prime character's mind
point to a lot we might question ourselves. 
Movie-use of his novels has been so-so, in my eyes, yet you can see most of the characters in 'Blade Runner' all question their own nature and reality.  One might ask if Deckard thinks, or might realize if he is another replicant.   In 'Total Recall' the main character it totally baffeled by who and what he is.   
And on and on...
Don't get me started any more, unless you want some more... :wink:

Thanks for the viewpoints, folks!  I'm looking forward to it!

Best Regards,
DeadFish