I ordered a refurbished 50" plasma for $1399.99. good or bad?

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
My mother has been asking for a bigger screen in her bedroom.  She has an old curved screen JVC 36" TV and was voicing a wish for a larger screen to see from her bed.  I think her eyes are not as good at 70.  After much searching, this was the best price I could find.  http://www.outlet.philips.com/b2c_redesign/b2c/productdetail.do?productguid=4328965C3ACA008E00000000828BD47243A5ECC8562B019900000000828BD4B5&productarea=4328965C3ACA008E00000000828BD472&scenario=catalog&shop=OUTLET
It's factory renewed product with 30 day return period.  Normally a TV is either DOD or good for a while.  So I pull the trigger.  With the coupon code OUTLET 0706 it comes out to $1469.99 shipped.  I hope the TV works for a few years :angel:  They also have 42" plasma at $999.99. The deal expires Monday.

Levi

Congrats and good luck!

LadyDog

Woodsyi,
Heck of a price, even with it being a refurb.

Philips doesn't have the best going for it from all I have read.  But then again, I'm sure your 70 year old mother could care less that the picture quality isn't up there with the best.

Most refurbs come with the same "original" warranty, is this not the case with this tv?

Regards,
Jeff

F-100

Take my advise and don't buy it!! It's a crap shoot buying refurbished product from Phillips. You might get a decent unit if you're lucky.
I bought a refurbished 32" LCD from Phillips last year and it's not worth the money.Their products come with only 30 days warranty. Do a search for "Phillips" on slickdeals.net and you'll see a lot of horror experience from this company.

F-100

BTW, I paid $800 for my LCD 10 months ago. When you turn on the set, the picture is black and then take about 8-10 min for the picture to turn into color. Also, the HDMI connection stop working with my HD Dish receiver. I called up Phillips and the customer rep practically said that I'm SOL because the warranty had expired a long time ago.

It's a piece of sh&^*T. No wonder why Phillips have so many refurbished units for sale at a great price.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
Thanks for all the information.  I went and read most of them.  It seems the problem mostly arise from HDMI interface.  My mother's primary function for the TV is watching DVDs of serial drama from her home country.  Component connection doing progressive scanning is all she needs.  Now I got my fingers crossed for a "good" one. 

F-100

Wish you the best of luck cause you will need it.
Check out the post from this guy who recently bought this plasma. Sound like the same problem that I had gone through with Phillips product. First, the famous $400 Phillips SACD1000 and now the great refurbished LCD. From now on, I'll stay away from Phillips product at all cost. :evil:

http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?t=287679&page=3&highlight=Plasma

purchased the 7220A 3 weeks ago and I haven't got to watch it yet. First it took two full weeks for delivery, not the 7 to 10 days they said it would. Then within 2 minutes of setting it up the screen went black. After contacting their customer service, they gave me a couple of repair shops to try within the 90 warrenty period. The first repair company wouldn't even look at it because they said they have had too many problems dealing with Philips' parts and service department. The second company took it and just informed me they ordered a new part for it and it will be a couple of weeks.

After my problem I did some research and discovered that it wasn't worth buying. Too late for me but hopefully it helps somebody.

The technology (Pixil Plus) used in this model and the 7320 is very outdated. It works okay for upconverting regular TV and DVDs but is not true HD. In fact if it receives an HD signal it downconverts it and then upcanverts it back to HD.

The black screen I got is a very common problem. For some people it only happens a couple of times a day and for others it is more frequently. Mine was every two minutes.

If this is your first HD purchase and it is going to be your primary TV - GET A DIFFERENT ONE!!!

F-100

Woodsyi, has the plasma been delivered to your mother? Did you get a nice unit?

woodsyi

• Volunteer
Woodsyi, has the plasma been delivered to your mother? Did you get a nice unit?

Not yet,

I tracked it and found it at the local warehouse of Eagle Global Logistics.  I called them and they said, "how about tomorrow?"  It apparently got there yesterday and I called just in time to get it on the truck.  I will let you know what I got after I set it up tomorrow night. 

woodsyi

• Volunteer
It works. :hyper: :dance:

They did a good job repacking -- I couldn't tell it was a refurb by looking at the new box.  If the unit did not have paint marks on the back where someone mounted it on the wall before, I would have thought it was new.  With RGB cable both DVD and Direct TV worked fine.  DVD actually looked pretty darned good.  The speakers are anemic and I should get something for that.  I have a week to get everything set up to surprise her when she gets back from CA. :P

Levi

Congrats!

F-100

Nice to hear that you got a nice unit. Congrats!!

Doublej

I can't speak to it firsthand because I have not listened to it but perhaps one of the ZVOX audio single cabinet systems would fit the bill.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
I can't speak to it firsthand because I have not listened to it but perhaps one of the ZVOX audio single cabinet systems would fit the bill.

That may just be the ticket.  Thanks for the info.  Quick search yielded a sale price at of all the places, http://www.frontgate.com -- a site for loaded wankers.  :green:
« Last Edit: 4 Aug 2006, 06:14 pm by woodsyi »

Soundbitten

Bad part ... Plasma TVs take 3X more power to run than regular TVs .

Doublej

Frontgate's site is a wanker too. If you search for ZVOX you get no results but if type "ZVOX Frontgate" into google you can find it on their site.

Levi

You are correct.  That is 2-3 amps pull according to my AVS2000.  The older generation also runs hot.

Bad part ... Plasma TVs take 3X more power to run than regular TVs .