New to HT budget system recommendations

carusoracer

New to HT budget system recommendations
« on: 20 Jul 2006, 02:41 pm »
New to HT looking for budget recommendations: DVD, Sound processor 5.1 unit receiver with XM or Sirius capabilities and 25"-32" Flat screen. The budget can be for pre owned components, Flat screen probably new for warranty? DVD can be modded $600 under with HDMI DVi?, No idea about the 5.1 receiver $600 ....Flat screen $500-$800. Can this be done?

Any help appreciated

Tirade

Re: New to HT budget system recommendations
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jul 2006, 02:58 pm »
Do you need speakers?

If not the answer to your question is yes.

If youre looking to spend $2k-$2.5k w/o speakers then I guess it can still be done, but you wont be satisfied.

carusoracer

« Reply #2 on: 20 Jul 2006, 03:04 pm »
Do you need speakers?

If not the answer to your question is yes.

If youre looking to spend $2k-$2.5k w/o speakers then I guess it can still be done, but you wont be satisfied.

YEs, I have a pair of speakers, NHT ST4's. I will need a center and a pair of rears. The ST4's go down pretty low so I'll hold off on the Sub. Might be an issue with the receiver as they are only rated at 86db @ 8 Ohms

Al Garay

« Reply #3 on: 21 Jul 2006, 04:04 am »
DVD Oppo OPDV971H $200 direct from www.oppodigital.com  Do a search and you will see that it's video and sound quality is excellent. has DVI output and comes with DVI-HDMI cable.

Receiver Sony STR-DA3100ES for about $600 online.  Sony ES receivers have sound quality that compares with good separates. It does not have the setup wizards like Pioneer and others but it requires little effort and it has 5 year warranty.

LCD  go to Costco where you will have the buyer protection in case it ever fails take it back for a refund. It works.

This will be a high performance budget system.

Al

carusoracer

« Reply #4 on: 21 Jul 2006, 11:55 am »
DVD Oppo OPDV971H $200 direct from www.oppodigital.com  Do a search and you will see that it's video and sound quality is excellent. has DVI output and comes with DVI-HDMI cable.

Receiver Sony STR-DA3100ES for about $600 online.  Sony ES receivers have sound quality that compares with good separates. It does not have the setup wizards like Pioneer and others but it requires little effort and it has 5 year warranty.

LCD  go to Costco where you will have the buyer protection in case it ever fails take it back for a refund. It works.

This will be a high performance budget system.

Thanks for the reply.
I too have heard about the Oppo and just read some favorable reviews. It looks promising. Nice tip regarding the Sony. Too bad it does not support HDMI
Any particular model or info to look out for regarding the LCD Costco is not hear in OH.

Al

Thanks for the reply.
I too have heard about the Oppo and just read some favorable reviews. It looks promising. Nice tip regarding the Sony. Too bad it does not support HDMI
Any particular model or info to look out for regarding the LCD Costco is not hear in OH.

« Last Edit: 21 Jul 2006, 12:44 pm by carusoracer »

Al Garay

« Reply #5 on: 21 Jul 2006, 02:26 pm »
Costco had the 32" Vizio for around $800, closest to your price range. I tend to like Sony, Sharp, Panasonic, Toshiba LCDs. The Vizio looks nice. Research www.avsforum.com to keep up with the best deals. Unless you get an excellent deal on a top end model such as the Sony XBR or better Sharp, go with Costco.

HDMI input-output on receiver is not necessary if you have few inputs that you can plug directly into the TV. I plug my Oppo directly to my LCD, avoid introducing another filter from the receiver.

carusoracer

« Reply #6 on: 21 Jul 2006, 03:49 pm »
Costco had the 32" Vizio for around $800, closest to your price range. I tend to like Sony, Sharp, Panasonic, Toshiba LCDs. The Vizio looks nice. Research www.avsforum.com to keep up with the best deals. Unless you get an excellent deal on a top end model such as the Sony XBR or better Sharp, go with Costco.

HDMI input-output on receiver is not necessary if you have few inputs that you can plug directly into the TV. I plug my Oppo directly to my LCD, avoid introducing another filter from the receiver.

OK,
I really need to start all over again :oops:
I can plug in the Oppo into the Sony XBR or the Vizio directly using the HDMI connections. I also do not want a strictly HDTV, I would like HD capability. If this so what other receivers would then cover the necessary audio and video sound quality with XM or should I just purchase XM receiver separately? I like the look of the Outlaw 1070 and the Harmon Kardon AVR140 seem to be rated highly without XM and room correction/setup.  Otherwise I was looking at the Pioneer Elite line up or Denon avr 3806 both preowned.

« Last Edit: 21 Jul 2006, 04:08 pm by carusoracer »

Al Garay

« Reply #7 on: 21 Jul 2006, 06:35 pm »
Plug your HD-TV cable directly into the TV. You don't need to use the HT receiver as a switching device if you have enough inputs on the TV.  I would get a separate Satellite radio receiver that is portable, can take outdoors or in the car.

Most of the 32" TVs have built in HD tuners. They support regular analog-digital (non-HD) as well.