I've got a SqueezeBox2 and a SqueezeBox3, which should I mod?

Rashiki

I've been thinking about sending in one of my SqueezeBoxes for mods, but I need to pick which one to send. I've got a SB2 and a SB3, both are the wired-only version, both are completely stock except for replacing the power supplies with linear supplies.

I also need to decide between the full mod and the digital only. I'm leaning towards the digital only because I'd like to get a nice DAC someday.

Suggestions, anyone?

Oh, and do either of the mods reduce the SB's ability to play 48kHz streams? I've got some 24bit/48kHz recordings and I'd like to be able to still play those.

-Rob

95bcwh

Where do you live? Can you at least listen to a couple of modded SB3 first?

I've been thinking about sending in one of my SqueezeBoxes for mods, but I need to pick which one to send. I've got a SB2 and a SB3, both are the wired-only version, both are completely stock except for replacing the power supplies with linear supplies.

I also need to decide between the full mod and the digital only. I'm leaning towards the digital only because I'd like to get a nice DAC someday.

Suggestions, anyone?

Oh, and do either of the mods reduce the SB's ability to play 48kHz streams? I've got some 24bit/48kHz recordings and I'd like to be able to still play those.

-Rob

Wayne1

Rob,

The SB 2 would be the best choice if you want to get the analog section modded. I can fit the rather large Sonicap coupling caps in that case. With the SB3, I have to use Black Gate NP electrolytics bypassed with a small Sonicap Gen 2.

If you get a "Full" mod you can get both the digital and analog section modded.

I have yet to hear an outboard DAC that sounds better the a full modded SB2 with Bybees and Teflon caps.

Of course, we are talking close to $1,000.00 worth of mods at that point.

The SB3 digital mod with a Silver Bybee Purifier is $375.00. If you already have a DAC you are happy with or are running into a Tact, that would be a "Best Buy". If you do not have a DAC, I would really suggest you take the money you planned to spend on the DAC, power cable and digital cable and put it into more mods to the SB 2.

Rashiki

Where do you live? Can you at least listen to a couple of modded SB3 first?

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, specifically the Far East Bay (Walnut Creek/Concord/Pittsburg/Antioch). I don't know anyone in my neck of the woods with a modded SB2 or SB3.

Rashiki

I have yet to hear an outboard DAC that sounds better the a full modded SB2 with Bybees and Teflon caps.

Wayne,

What do the Bybees do? I've seen them mentioned on your website, but I haven't found a description of what they do or how they affect the sound. The Bybees only seem to be available as a SB3 mod through the website. The only option I see on the SB2 page is to select between analaog only/digital only/full mod and to select the bypass caps. Which of the bypass cap options would I select to get the Teflon caps?

Does the digital mod also have a positive effect on the sound quality of the analog outputs?

-Rob

Wayne1

Here are a couple of reviews of the Bybee Purifier that should explain what changes they make to the sound of a system.

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/1202/bybee.htm

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue8/bybee.htm

I feel they add more coherence and reduce the background noise level.

The Sonicap Platinums are the Teflon caps that I offer. I suggest that they be paired with the Sonicap Gen 2 in the SB2 mods as bypass caps for the large Sonicap. That blend is very natural sounding.

The digital mods for the SB2 do not alter the analog sound. I only suggested them so you could indulge you curiosity about an outboard DAC at a later date, if you wish. The Full mod is $50.00 more than the Analog only mod. The biggest cost difference between then is the addition of the WBT NextGen RCA connector.

The Bybee Purifiers are available in three "flavors", Standard or copper, Silver or Gold. The copper are $200.00 a pair. Silver $400.00 a pair and Gold at $500.00 a pair, installed.  The Silver is a bit more dynamic than the copper and really brings a great purity and clarity to the mids and highs. The Gold is the most analog sounding and comes very close to making the SB sound like a very good vinyl rig.

tonyptony

Wayne, a question regarding the pricing on SB3 digital mods. On the Bolder website the pricing looks as follows:

PRICE:  $150.00
           $175.00 none
           $275.00 Slipstream Purifier
           $375.00 Silver Slipstream Purifier

What does "$175.00 none" mean?

Wayne1

It means I screwed up the last time I update the website  :oops:

The price on the digital only mod is $175.00 now. That includes the use of Black Gate "NX" series caps in the internal power supply.

None means no additional "option" like the Bybee Purifiers.

I have updated the site to remove the old price of the digital mod.