Bryston 14B SST vs. 4B SST (choosing between them)

john1970

Bryston 14B SST vs. 4B SST (choosing between them)
« on: 16 Jul 2006, 11:13 pm »
To all Bryston owners,

I am considering the purchase of a Bryston amp in the near future and would like some feedback on choosing between the 14B SST and the 4B SST.  As best as I can tell both amps are essentially the same except for their output (500 W @ 4 ohms for the 4B SST and 900 W @ 4 ohms for the 14 B SST). 

My questions:
1) Are there any other differences between these two amps besides output power?

2) Is the extra output of the 14B necessary for listening?  I would think that 500 W/channel would provide plenty of headroom.  In theory 900 W only provides ~3 dB of extra headroom (relative to 500W.)

I will be driving a pair of VMPS RM40s (4 ohm nominal, 3.5 ohm minimum, 89 dB/1W/1m sensitivity).

Thank in advance to everyone who provides advice,

John

Bob Reynolds

Re: Bryston 14B SST vs. 4B SST (choosing between them)
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jul 2006, 03:18 pm »
I've not heard either -- I own the 7B-SST monoblocks. I think it makes sense to consider what speakers you might own in 5 years not just the current pair. It makes more sense to upgrade speakers over time instead of electronics since speakers are still by a large margin the weakest link in the audio chain.

If it's in your budget, buy the additional watts so that you'll never wonder if more power would make a difference. Also, if you have room, I'd consider the monoblocks.

-- Bob

PavelL

« Reply #2 on: 17 Jul 2006, 10:04 pm »

john1970

« Reply #3 on: 18 Jul 2006, 02:42 am »
To everyone who responded thank you for the advice.  I admit the dual mono amps would be great, but due to space limitations it is either the 4B or the 14B.  I plan on keeping the VMPS RM40s for the next 20+ years so it  boils down to how much I want to spend.

Somethings I have noticed from reading the post (on this and other forums):

1) The 4B SST might give slightly tighter bass due to a greater dampning factor (~800 @ 8 ohms)

2) A couple of reviews have noticed that the 4B SST actually clips while listening.  I find this quite difficult to believe given its massive power ouput of >500 W / channel @ 4 ohms!  I usually listen no louder than 95 dB (and only for a little while).  Most of the time the output at my listening posiiton (10 ft. from the speaker) is 90 dB.  I doubt that I will have a problem with clipping. 

3) The extra power of the 14B SST gives a better bass foundation.

In the end it is going to come down to if I feel it is necessary to spend twice the amount of money to go to the 14B instead of the 4B.  Most likely I will purchase the 4B.

Thank you,

John

Levi

« Reply #4 on: 18 Jul 2006, 04:46 am »
I know this is a no brainer.  May I suggest if at all possible to audition the amp(s) and then decide.  If you are going with agon, then scrap that idea.  If you are buying new, then local Bryston dealers will let you audition their product in your home :wink:

I have heard the RM40s and I think I like them better with tube gears. :o

Goodluck.
« Last Edit: 18 Jul 2006, 05:18 am by Levi »

john1970

« Reply #5 on: 18 Jul 2006, 10:49 am »
Unfortunately the dealer does not stock both amps.  I did audition the Bryston 6B SST (a 3 channel version of the 4B SST) when I purchased the VMPS speakers.  The 6B SST had no problems driving a pair of VMPS RM/X loudspeakers in an extremely large room (28 x 20 x 12).  I'll just have to decided whether it is reasonable to shell out an extra 2K for the 14B!

Thanks,

John