PMC OB-1 vs. the IB1

canucks0

PMC OB-1 vs. the IB1
« on: 16 Jul 2006, 02:05 pm »
I own the IB1's which are breaking in nicely for the last 200 hrs. or so. I am pleased with their accurate imaging, though a tad lean at times, and the bass which is tight and digs deep. I am working on their placement before installing the spikes and am having trouble in deciding which location sounds best. They do exibit a large sweet spot which is great. My Dynaudio C1's required exact seating position to achieve balance in this respect. I sense that the IB1's can be placed very close to the rear and side walls, given their transmission design. The room is 14 X 16 with speakers along the short wall. Furthermore, I never had a chance to audition the OB1's, which are a nicer speaker to look at, and wonder how they compare to the IB1's in imaging, especially the bass. Can they really go deeper than the IB1's? I know both use the same tweeter and mid, but the difference in woofer size should make the IB1 the clear winner with respect to low frequencies. Perhaps the cabinet design has something to do with things. I currently use my IB1's with a MacIntosh MC402 amp, C2200 preamp, and Esoteric UX-3 SE source. Cabling is Purist Audio Design's Venustas line. Any direct experiences chronicling the OB-1 and IB-1 would be appreciated.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: PMC OB-1 vs. the IB1
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jul 2006, 03:43 pm »
Hi Canuck,

The IB1 will definitley go lower and play at higher levels with less distortion than the OB1's.

The OB1'shave a bit better sound stage due to the smaller baffle but the soundstage result between the IB1 and OB1's imaging in any given room will have a lot to do with the size of the room. In other words the bigger the room the less the smaller OB1 baffle will tend to make a difference.

What dealer did you get your IB1's from? Does he have any OB1's as well?

james

canucks0

« Reply #2 on: 16 Jul 2006, 04:33 pm »
Thank you James for your response. Bill McCulloch set me up and is my dealer for most things audio. Furthermore, I am curious ( and certainly not unhappy with my current system ) how the 14 B SST might sound with the IB1's.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #3 on: 16 Jul 2006, 06:08 pm »
The 14B or a pair of 7B's would be great.
I use two 7B's on my IB2's and the bass is outstanding.

james

xsparky

« Reply #4 on: 17 Jul 2006, 03:48 am »
Hey Cunucks0,
   You finally have the IB1's.I have not been by here in awhile.I use to own a 6bsst.It is a great amp.I now own the McIntosh C2200 & MC402.I find the 402 to be not as good as the 6bsst in the bass region.Not quite as tight and defined.Buuuttt....I would not trade the Imaging,depth,transparancy and a musicality that just draws you in.The Macs have that "bloom" that the Bryston never quite acheived.I am not bashing Bryston here,as I still have a soft spot for them,but have found the sound I am looking for in McIntosh.Ideally maybe biamped setup with bryston for bass and McIntosh for mids and high's.
  One last note,the McIntosh C2200 with the 6bsst was a very nice match.I would highly reccomend people try a tube pre with Bryston geer!
   I just love my IB1's !!

canucks0

« Reply #5 on: 17 Jul 2006, 01:30 pm »
xsparky,

Thank you for your insight. I could not agree more with your experiences and opinion. The MAC combo we both have is magic but probably not a deep in the bass as if using a 14B SST. It IS nice to have that extra little bit of slam for rock music but I listen to all genres. I may just try a 14 B SST out of curiosity with the C2200 and IB1's. Wow, those cabinets are big in the IB1's. How have you placed them in your room?

canucks0

« Reply #6 on: 17 Jul 2006, 01:34 pm »
Can anyone offer insight into comparison between the IB1 and IB2 and their difference in Cdn. pricing? Thanks. Dave